Order of "must do" things on a standard vRS (estate)

So I've been reading for a while and have a (growing) list of things that should get attention when I finally get my estate (the clock is ticking, current estimate for me being able to go and look/buy is 4 weeks)..

Unless I'm buying from a very reliable source, it'll be as standard as possible.

What priority would you give to the essentials before you hit the non-essential but still need doing jobs?

My current list in no particular order is:

Replace DV

Check coil pack has been replaced

Cambelt (if not already done recently)

Brake fluid and pads

Oil and filter change

Air and pollen filter

Dogbone bushes

Rear ARB

Front ARB bushes

I'm pretty sure some that is unnecessary and that I'm missing some important stuff too but I have a few weeks to get it right.

New breather pipes if they haven't already been done as there probably knackered,

Drop sump and replace oil pickup depending on what service history of car is like

• Like 1

I'd be going in the following order from your list:

Cambelt (if not already done recently)

Brake fluid and pads

Oil and filter change

Air and pollen filter

Check coil pack has been replaced

Replace DV

Dogbone bushes

Rear ARB

Front ARB bushes

Also I'd throw in doing the oil pickup pipe if not obviously been done per history.

• Like 1

Can't believe I'm a month away from even looking at a car with a view to buying and I already have a sizeable to do list (driving the missus nuts too - although she should be used to it by now)  :rofl:

Gonna hunt me down some part numbers in readiness, there's a VAG dealer extremely close - hope their parts chaps are cool.

Edited by Evil
  • Like 2

A few more for you:

Fit return springs to the rear calipers

Remove wheel arch liners and clear out the crud

New wiper blades

Clean throttle body & fit new gasket

Lubricate door hinges and locks

• Like 1

Aye.. if I have to do cambelt, waterpump will be done too.

Probably either find a local individual who's a dab hand or chuck it at a local garage.

Not mad keen on the engine being vented into the throttle body either (changed my Vectra so it vents to atmosphere, I have a small catch tank but haven't got round to it yet), if I have to replace a breather, or if the TB is exceptionally mucky, I may try and get my head around fitting an oil catch can at the same time.

As long as I can find a suitable car, I guess my first summer with it will be spent getting all this kinda stuff sorted and then next year think about some tuning.

Got most of the part numbers sorted now, pretty much just need the poly bushes for the arb(s) and dog bone (or I might buy a complete one, found an aftermarket, uprated, one yesterday on my travels)

• Like 1

Aye.. if I have to do cambelt, waterpump will be done too.

Probably either find a local individual who's a dab hand or chuck it at a local garage.

Not mad keen on the engine being vented into the throttle body either (changed my Vectra so it vents to atmosphere, I have a small catch tank but haven't got round to it yet), if I have to replace a breather, or if the TB is exceptionally mucky, I may try and get my head around fitting an oil catch can at the same time.

As long as I can find a suitable car, I guess my first summer with it will be spent getting all this kinda stuff sorted and then next year think about some tuning.

Got most of the part numbers sorted now, pretty much just need the poly bushes for the arb(s) and dog bone (or I might buy a complete one, found an aftermarket, uprated, one yesterday on my travels)

exciting times looking for a new car eh ? :) I was quite lucky with mine that so much was already done (cambelt, oil pickup, N249 delete, sai mapped out etc ) it could do with a bit more tidying under the engine bay, getting rid of the sai pipes etc , but its well on the way. brakes are all almost new.

only thing really that is desperate on mine is front wishbone bushes....(you can feel things move through the steering that shouldnt be moving! its not quite right lol)  it had recently passed an MOT , but the front tyres were shagged, bald on the inside, when I had my tame mech put it up on the ramps for a proper look at it, he demonstrated why, he got hold of a front wheel and pulled it, and the movement of the lower wishbone on the rear bush was about an inch! :o he also found the power steering pipe was corroded, and could basically start leaking at any time... (I always get my tame mech to check out a car I buy, look for problems)

on my way to coomb, I am calling in at Jasons and picking up Pete's (skudvrs) old wishbones from his car (polybushed front and back) , a power steering pipe, and 2 nearly new RSR's in 225/45/17 flavour :)

then its off to my tame mech for some "preventative" medicine! on old cars I like to keep on top of things to stay reliable! so he will change the wishbones, for the polybushed ones (may as well replace the ball joints for new too!) as they will start to be put under severe pressure by the new RSR's! that should tighten the front end no end! then he will replace the power steering pipe for one that isn't rusty! I'm going to get him to change the plugs too (I will do an oil change myself when the weather warms up) it should then be in prime condition :) Also gonna ask him his MOT views on the de-cat.... he noticed it while admiring the exhaust, and didn't say it would be a problem, guess it depends what the emissions are! :o e-bay has a sports cat (3" stainless) that would just go in the downpipe between the sensors for £80 , so not a major issue if I have to put one on...

then I'm hankering after more mods, front & rear anti roll bars, fmic , stage 2 map :) then its onto less vitals things, like new wheels, stereo etc! lol...

lots to think about mate ;)

Without a cat it should fail due to incomplete exhaust..

If I do the exhaust thing I'd go sports cat (or stick to cat-back - either option is a next year thing, probably)..

I don't like car shopping.. I like looking but the act of going to see, having a test drive, bit of haggling, deciding to buy/not to buy, leaves me cold. 

Once it's home and proven not to be a basket case then I like the new car thing. Right up until I realise that it's cost me more post purchase than it did to buy  :devil:

Without a cat it should fail due to incomplete exhaust..

If I do the exhaust thing I'd go sports cat (or stick to cat-back - either option is a next year thing, probably)..

I don't like car shopping.. I like looking but the act of going to see, having a test drive, bit of haggling, deciding to buy/not to buy, leaves me cold. 

Once it's home and proven not to be a basket case then I like the new car thing. Right up until I realise that it's cost me more post purchase than it did to buy  :devil:

depends on how "friendly" your MOT person is ;) (yes I know its illegal! but so are many things lol...)  I love the sound the exhaust makes, I love that it pops on up-change at the red line! apparently the standard downpipe is quite restrictive.. BUT, having said all that ,  I will be putting the sports cat in if they request it, the de-cat wasn't done by me, I would have done sports cat from the beginning to keep it legal. Guess that will make it a bit quieter, but shouldn't effect the flow (3" sports cat)

I don't like haggling etc either lol... I paid the price the person was asking for my car! (very fair price...)

I'll be watching your adventures with interest! lol

Well.. one of the estates I have been watching for a couple of weeks disappeared today.. might not get my first colour choice but I'm not sure I'm that fussed, I like them all (especially yellow), it's just a slight preference. 

Used to have friendly mot testers, mechanics, hit men, all sorts.. then we moved to Suffolk and we got nobody now.

There's one place that will put extra effort in if things like emissions are tricky but they won't break any rules for us.

Just hope I get very few (or very minor) problems. 

Why not just buy a car with most of the above just done?

That would be ideal.. but with cars of this age there are no guarantees and you also have to trust the seller to be telling the truth.

Plus I would do certain stuff as a matter of course whether it had allegedly been done or not.

• Like 1

I might know where there is one that had most of it done but shame your so far away

Well.. I'm still ~4 weeks away from holding folding but am willing to travel for the right car.

• Like 1

Well.. one of the estates I have been watching for a couple of weeks disappeared today.. might not get my first colour choice but I'm not sure I'm that fussed, I like them all (especially yellow), it's just a slight preference. 

Used to have friendly mot testers, mechanics, hit men, all sorts.. then we moved to Suffolk and we got nobody now.

There's one place that will put extra effort in if things like emissions are tricky but they won't break any rules for us.

Just hope I get very few (or very minor) problems. 

thats the thing..... there are stories of people who have had such trouble with old octy vRS's! you read of all the problems.... I'm just so glad mine is ok! (fr now) I know I have had issues with lack of power etc, but in the end it just seems to have been dodgy forge 007p....... for 155,000 miles it runs well.... doesn't use a drop of fluid (water or oil) new battery, clutch/flywheel etc means all consumables are done (along with water pump cam belt, oil pick up... etc) ...

my advice, is if you can, buy one thats put up for sale by a brisky member!! then you may have a trustworthy history!! I bought mine without seeing or driving it, because it was owned by a brisky member... I trusted what was written, and I'm happy with what I got, you can never expect no problems, but just the fact that it starts drives and stops is good enough for me, because its a working car then... everything else I can deal with over time :)

I would stress, history , and an "enthusiast" owner are probably worth more than a "low mileage" on one of these..

and I do like the yellow :) again, watching with interest! :thumbup:

edit: seen some really *kitten dodgy ones on ebay! :o

Edited by sharkrider
  • Like 1

I would pay a premium to buy from an enthusiast.. especially someone with history on here. Not many estates for sale though, sadly.

Mileage-wise I reckon I'll be lucky to find one under 130k. But I'd rather 130k properly serviced miles than 50k with little attention..

My travelling limit is in the region of 250miles each way. I think that's sufficient for a bloody car!!  :happy:

• Like 1

I agree with he post about the enthusiast owner. i know my car is well maintained because i don't leave anything if its wearing out it gets changed or uprated. 

in terms of buying a car i guess its all about risk. you could by the best maintained 100k car that could still need something big like a turbo or gearbox without you knowing a month down the line just due to bad luck. The same can be said for a 50k car with a basic service history it could go on for another 50k with the same and maintence.  I always like to go for cars with the best bodywork as that is in my eyes always harder to get right and if they have some the most basic of mods. intake and exhaust really is a most imo as I usually end up buying those anyway.  

going back to your original question 

cambelt and water pump with oil change service first. You can change the rest of the filters its more piece of mind. 

Change the oil pick up regardless. its inexpensive just bit of labour. Ill put this as important as a cambelt change. If it gets blocked you will need a new engine. 

DV you just need to check it has the latest part number and it should be fine. Same can be said for the N75 valve i changed mine to rule out a problem. 

Coils if they have the latest part number great. if not and you get a misfire you know where to start. 

Front lower arm bushes ill uprated to poly units as they don't seem to last 

dogbone mount again if there a lot or movement change it. I put a solid one on seems to be alright. 

front arb bushes. If there worn out change them.  

Brakes if there worn out change them. 

rear arb.... i think i need to drive a mk4 golf or something as I've forgotten what it is like to drive mine without it on! it just seems normal now. 

• Like 2

The oil pick up... as a job, what's it like to do?

I've done a chunk of sump gaskets in my time and didn't enjoy doing any of them. Does the vRS have a gasket (our Vectra doesn't, it's just sealant)??

Bodywork is important.. I don't mind a little bubbling on something like the tailgate, it's easy to swap over after all. But I don't want to get into sills, inner wings, any bulldust like that. If I wanted to battle tin worm year in year out I'd buy a Vectra estate.

Does the Octy suffer particularly with any rusting underneath?