Failing CV joint?

Couple weeks ago my car started developing a repetitive knocking sound, it only becomes noticeable above 15mph and the knocking becomes quicker the faster you go, at motorway speeds there's a very noticeable vibration. Also when turning right at slower speeds the knocking sound becomes more noticeable and less so when turning left.

This leads me to believe one of the CV joints is at fault, but I don't want to spend a load of money changing a driveshaft only for something else to be at fault, is there a way for me to test to find out for sure? Thoughts?

I have just replaced the n/s cv joint on mine, it made a knocking noise under gentle acceleration turning right but was quiet in a straight line or turning left, no vibration at all.

A CV kit is only £26 (Euro Car Parts) so quiet a cheap fix and not a massive loss if it does not fix the problem.

• Like 1

Cheers man, were there any other symptoms before you changed it? Any play in the driveshaft etc?

How easy is it fitting the kit? Did you have to remove the driveshaft completely or just disconnect from the hub?

Edited by Johnno92

Most likely the inner cv joint, centrifugal force means the worn joints rotating off balance hence it getting worse with speed. As mentioned outer joint would knock when steering especially on full lock. Check the shaft for play, there should be some play up and down on the inner joint for suspension action, but lots forwards and backwards isn't good. Should feel quite different compared to the 'good' one. Can you tell which side of the car it is?

Most likely the inner cv joint, centrifugal force means the worn joints rotating off balance hence it getting worse with speed. As mentioned outer joint would knock when steering especially on full lock. Check the shaft for play, there should be some play up and down on the inner joint for suspension action, but lots forwards and backwards isn't good. Should feel quite different compared to the 'good' one. Can you tell which side of the car it is?

Cheers! I think its the front passenger side given the noise gets louder when that wheel is loaded up, driver side seems fine, I shall see if there is any play in the shaft, If not I cannot think of any other cause.

Edited by Johnno92