Bumper strips for mk1

if they are scratched, cracked,or simply missing  local breakers yard or that pesky eBay. The front ones are the same hatch/estate, the rears are estate only. The VRS ones are no different to the others.

If they are grey or going a bit blotchy any oil based substance will revive them short term - wd40, olive oil, baby oil etc

for a longer fix unclip them, clean them off with hot soapy water, and hold the heat gun on them. don't do them on the car or the paint may blister.

remove and paint is another option, colour coding works very well on the light coloured cars. plasticote, or flexible paint is advised 

If you do paint them, I very very very much advise to get some clear vinyl (or even carbon wrap?) on the rear one for under the tailgate. This is a scratch magnet!

Judging by previous people's comments after buying new ones, they appear to be a couple of mm's shorter than the originals for some reason, hence they do not sit quite the same as the original on the car. a good used unit or recondition the old one would be my route before buying new.

Have a look at Group1rs's build threads to see what I mean, sorry I cant remember if it was the black vrs or his new wrc, but he did make mention of the issue in one of them.

Edit - found it - post #634 http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/253213-group1rss-black-magic-2002-octy-vrs/page-22

Edited by kentphil1

Before Heatgun when I got car:

Rear%2BOS.jpg

Octy%2BOSFL.jpg

during:

Part%2BGrey.jpg

After heatgun 

18 months and near 20K later without having touched since

P20160220_175830.jpg

P20160220_160313.jpg

Edited by FUBAR