fan noise/problem

Has anybody else had a problem with the fans in the engine bay. Mine has just started making a screeching noise, like it's catching or something. I have tried having a look but it was dark tonight. Doesn't seem to be worped or anything but doesn't sound good at all. By turning the heater off it seems to stop, sounds like it's coming from the fan on the right as you look at the engine bay.

WD40 around the middle of the fan (motor) should help, check for debris caught round it but KEEP AN EYE ON THE FUSES ON TOP OF THE BATTERY - the ones under the clip cover, they get very hot when the fans are straining and have been known to catch fire.

When its cold/light, remove the fuse for the fans (I think its the first or second one from the left but check first) to avoid fingers getting ripped off, then move the fans by hand to see if they feel stiff - if they do, replace them or turn the radio up and drive around with a fire extinguisher.

It may be worth removing the fans to inspect and clean them, it could just be a bit of rubbish caught in them. Always remove the fuse before putting your hands near them as they can start even if the engine is off - I got bitten by one on a saxo, and I can assure you it hurts!

• Like 1