Noisy recirc damper - fixed!

Every time the auto recirc turned on and off, there was a knocking noise coming from behind the glove box. 

I think I recall at least one other person having the same issue as I did. 

I did some investigating and found the problem. I dropped the glove box to expose the fuse box and then removed the pollen filter to gain access to the recirc damper. Note: the A/C fan is DIRECTLY below the pollen filter so be careful sticking your hand in there! The recirc damper is directly above the slot for the pollen filter - watch your fingers! 

I felt the damper as it opened and closed. The knocking noise was accompanied by a slight jerk from the damper, like it was fouling against something. 

Upon further investigation, I found a wiring loom slightly out of place. It runs above the opening for the pollen filter door and close to the mechanism of the recirc damper. Once I repositioned it, the damper was once again silent. 

If anyone has a similar problem, let me know and I'll post up the pictures of the offending wiring loom. Rather that than have the whole damned dash pulled to bits! 

• Like 2

Good find and solution. Why did you do it and not let the dealer fix it under warranty?

Sometimes its easier just to have a look and sort it out if its something simple.

Booking a car into my local dealer with a courtesy car is quite a wait as well as the hassle of finding time to take it and then go back to pick it up

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry.. I've been away on holiday so haven't been around for a while. 

For the sake of 30 minutes and a torch, it was much easier to DIY the fix, rather than book the car in with a dealer, only for them to tell me the damper is knackered and the dash needs to come out etc. etc. 

I really don't like other people messing about with my car so I will avoid taking it back unless strictly necessary. No disrespect to the Techs at Skoda or any other main dealership but they are up against the clock - especially with warranty work - and they physically can't take the same amount of time on a job as I can. It's guided fault finding and that's it. It may well be a case of this issue with the loom fouling the mechanism being totally overlooked in favour of pulling the dash (or part thereof) and replacing the mechanism with squeaks and rattles aplenty! 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Sorry for necroing old thread but I think this is the thread I rememeber about noise that is coming from front of the cabin and something related to air conditioning, air circulation or something.

Made a topic about it here. I'm not sure this is related. How did you know it is related to auto recirc? I can't figure out when auto recirc is doing anything. Does it turn the led light on recirc button when it is doing something? 

I have this very weird noise when AC is starting. Don't even have to start the car, turning ignition on is enough for it to happen, just need to wait a bit (10 seconds max). Sometimes it happens during the driving too... Driving me mad and tech is telling me it is normal. 

/uneducated guess mode ON / I doubt the Superb MK3 has an electric AC pump. If not, then the AC itself won't run until the engine is fired up - i.e. any noise coming from the ducts after switching on ignition must be some kind of electric motor or linkage noise. Quite possibly it is one or more of the flaps in the duct (if it goes away after a few secs) or the fan itself (if it remains on). Auto recirc might come on automatically (ehm, auto-recirc, auto-matically...) when shutting off the engine just to open again once you fire up the car. E.g. this would prevent cold&damp outside air entering the cabin during nighttime. /uneducated guess mode OFF/

/uneducated guess mode ON / I doubt the Superb MK3 has an electric AC pump. If not, then the AC itself won't run until the engine is fired up - i.e. any noise coming from the ducts after switching on ignition must be some kind of electric motor or linkage noise. Quite possibly it is one or more of the flaps in the duct (if it goes away after a few secs) or the fan itself (if it remains on). Auto recirc might come on automatically (ehm, auto-recirc, auto-matically...) when shutting off the engine just to open again once you fire up the car. E.g. this would prevent cold&damp outside air entering the cabin during nighttime. /uneducated guess mode OFF/

I'm suspecting flaps also. But it seems it is isolated on my car as nobody else is reporting these noises. Wonder how it can be normal then.

As for auto recirc, I know it will happen automatically  :angel: what I was wondering is if there will be any kind of indication it is happening.

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2016 at 15:58, doublev said:

I'm suspecting flaps also. But it seems it is isolated on my car as nobody else is reporting these noises. Wonder how it can be normal then.

As for auto recirc, I know it will happen automatically  :angel: what I was wondering is if there will be any kind of indication it is happening.

I have the same noise on the flaps as they adjust angle

On 13. 12. 2017. at 09:23, Nazmi said:

Ok, thanks I better take to service. I looked myself however can't see anything

Yes, you can't do anything by yourself. They need to take down the complete dash panel to be able to replace the assembly. But they do it under warranty and I did not have any problems afterwards.