Underseat Storage Box step by step guide with pictures

After looking for a guide for this, I couldn't find a Mk2 guide,

So I got home a little early from work today and went ahead and fitted my driver side box. As promised here is the step by step tutorial for the MK2 Fabia.

Parts

Right Box (part number - 6Y0 881 578 A47H) -£21

Left (part number - 6Y0 881 577 A47H) - £21 - Not bought or fitted, part number from other members

4x seat runner bolts (part number: N 908 921 01) ~ £4 (You will need 4 per side)

1x torx screws (part number: WHT 001 867) - £0.30 (you will need 1 extra per side)

Total= Just under £25 per side

Before I get started, these are the part numbers I supplied my garage, apart from the left box as i have not done that side. I am also not a mechanic, so this is a guide to what i did, whether that is right or not is a different story. Only do work you are comfortable with, and my guide is not gospel.

Tools

You will need:

Torque wrench with a M10 spline

T20 torx screwdriver

45 minutes of your precious time (Including hoovering under removed seat)

Step 1: Firstly, I managed the without taking the seat fully out, therefore I did not need to unplug the airbag and seatbelt lights. If you need to remove the seats fully, you will need to unplug these two wires under the seat, WARNING: YOU WILL NEED TO DO SOMETHING BEFORE UNPLUGGING THESE WIRES - I'VE READ THAT REMOVING THE BLACK WIRE FROM YOUR BATTERY WILL PREVENT ERRORS BUT HAVE NOT TESTED IT. Although I didn’t disconnect the wires I still undid the battery to be safe.

Step 2: Remove the 4 bolts from the seat runners using the spline tool. There are two bolts at the front of the runners and two at the back, you will need to adjust the seat to access these. A wrench extension will help here.

Front:post-114394-0-62439700-1459881141_thumb.jpg

Back: post-114394-0-66587200-1459881142_thumb.jpg

The seat can then be tilted back to  access underneath post-114394-0-67145700-1459881143_thumb.jpg

Step 3: The existing front facia panel can then be removed, there is one screw on the right hand side and clips on the left hand side

Step 4: There are four holes on the under seat storage box for screws to be attached, 3 already exist in the seat base, line up the box to see where it attaches and remove these 3 screws.

Step 5: Line up the box and push the clips on the left hand side into the trim on the chair, there is also a clip on the right hand side. Ensure these clips go in properly to prevent rattles.

Step 6: Use the three screws you removed to attach the box and the fourth screw you bought in the remaining hole. The two front screws should hold in the box and the other pieces of trim around the seat. The back screws are fiddly but go straight into the seat.

Front right:post-114394-0-59249000-1459881144_thumb.jpg

Front left:post-114394-0-71109200-1459881145_thumb.jpg

Back right:post-114394-0-03742900-1459881149_thumb.jpg

Back left:post-114394-0-28382300-1459881148_thumb.jpg

Step 7: Ensure the box is attached properly, the drawer opens properly and that you have not disrupted the wires under the seat. Re-attach the wires if you removed them.

Step 8: Align the seat runners with the holes and ensure there are no obstructions. I have seen somewhere that it is recommended to use new seat runner bolts, so I did. Attach the seat again using the 4 bolts, to a torque setting which I believe is recommended to be 24nm.

Step 9: Check the new box, the seat runs on the runners correctly, re attach the battery if necessary.

Fitted closed post-114394-0-47185700-1459881159_thumb.jpg

Fitted open post-114394-0-53362700-1459881160_thumb.jpg

There you go! I assume it is exactly the same on the opposite side with the other part number.

Edited by lgsnoddy

• 1 year later...

Update on prices as of 15th Feb 2018

K6Y0881577 B47H - £19.48 - Underseat storage

K6Y0881578 B47H - £19.48 - Underseat storage

KWHT001867 - £0.18 each x 4 Torx Bolts to fix underside of box

• 11 months later...
On 22/02/2018 at 14:02, k7aus said:

Update on prices as of 15th Feb 2018

K6Y0881577 B47H - £19.48 - Underseat storage

K6Y0881578 B47H - £19.48 - Underseat storage

KWHT001867 - £0.18 each x 4 Torx Bolts to fix underside of box

Are these Skoda dealer prices?

Hi

Skoda dealer in llandudno Junction, North Wales. I explain to him i had a TPS account but that was with TPS Blackburn. I asked for discount and he gave me 10%

WARNING - Do not remove seat bolts with impact wrench do it manually with splined bit and 3/8 drive(Seat bases have captive nut which can spin if removed too fast)

...They used to be around £7-£8 each but they cottoned on to how many buyers wanted to upgrade. Similar story with the sunglass holder in the roof. Went up to above £20 and you can get a copy on the "bay" or Aliexpress, for half that, if your'e happy with a non genuine part. (Looks just the same).

• 11 months later...

Hi, will these helpful under seat storage box fitting instructions be good for a Mk III Fabia too please?
If someone could confirm the size of seat runner spline head as I'd like to just buy one socket, instead of a whole set that is unlikely to be used.

Many thanks,

Fabia III SEL, 69 plate - After market extras/mods: Std Alore wheels shot-blasted/painted in black metallic, all chrome badges, emblems and grill surround replaced in Black Magic, wind deflectors, door sill and boot lip protectors, and mud-flaps all round.

Maybe check under each seat on your MK3 Fabia in case some funky new module has been located there and that could limit the version/size of under seat bins to buy - just a useful suggestion that is all!

rum4mo - Thanks for the heads up and it makes eminent sense, but I've already bought the storage box. Common sense now tells me I should have done this before buying, although in my defense I did insist on a reassurance from the Skoda dealer (Trust Skoda Wolverhampton that it would, and they did.

If it doesn't, I'll be listing for sale on eBay! :-)

Does anyone know the torque setting for the seat runner bolts please? I think I read somewhere on one of the forums is was 24Nm, but I can't for the life of me find it again.

Thanks.