infotainment/bolero/smartlink annoyance

Hi guys, 

I have a SEL post wk22 build and my smartlnk works fine for 90% of the time, but again, like this morning, I go to plug in my iphone (which normally works fine  - genuine usb cable etc) but it just won't have it at all, keeps saying "phone disconnected".  

I am aware of this slight issue and I normally have to unplug/plug it back in about 15-20 times and then it will recognise it and start syncing - however this morning, the car has started a new tactic of rebooting itself when i plug it in more than 3 or so attempts at getting it to sync up.  when it does reboot it recognises it fine and away I go.

Seems to me to be a software issue?

Rang dealer, was very clearly not interested said ring Skoda UK and pretty much hung up. 

Anyone else had this bolero/phone prob?

NB - from new the car was fine - seems to be an issue that has developed over the short amount of time I have had it. 

Cheers  

Try resetting SmartLink.

Go to Car - Setup - Factory Settings - Reset Individual Settings/data and then choose SmartLink.

I had problems with my phone charging. 

Checked google and found there can be a problem with fluff in the lightning port.

Few minutes gently digging around with a wooden cocktail stick and a HUGE lump of fluff extracted. End of charging problems.

Not saying this will be a cure for your problems but might be worth a try??

Getting fed up of hearing about dealers who can't be bothered!

Do they want us to buy another car from them or what?

• Like 2

I had the exact same problem. It would work 95% of the time but whenever I wanted to show it off to a friend it would just not connect. It was really annoying. Since I updated to the latest version of iOS last week however it has worked perfectly every time! Which version of iOS are you using?

I am up to date on all fronts - both the phone and I also checked for updates online for smartlnk using the VIN etc.

Pretty sure it's a software issue that I will just have to live with unless it gets really bad then I'll try a reset. But I just know that the time someone rings me in an emergency to get somewhere unfamiliar is the time it won't work and I cant use satnav.....

Yes RickW, they really don't care. They'd have to make me the deal of the millenium to keep me, which is a shame as I really like the fabia3 and would be happy to roll-on to another new car. unfortunately, my dealership has put me off completely ever have a skoda again. The way I was treated in the ordering process (an entirely different story!) was nothing short of bull****.

I am up to date on all fronts - both the phone and I also checked for updates online for smartlnk using the VIN etc.

Pretty sure it's a software issue that I will just have to live with unless it gets really bad then I'll try a reset. But I just know that the time someone rings me in an emergency to get somewhere unfamiliar is the time it won't work and I cant use satnav.....

Yes RickW, they really don't care. They'd have to make me the deal of the millenium to keep me, which is a shame as I really like the fabia3 and would be happy to roll-on to another new car. unfortunately, my dealership has put me off completely ever have a skoda again. The way I was treated in the ordering process (an entirely different story!) was nothing short of bull****.

Sorry to maintain the off-topic but I do not think the attitude of Skoda dealers is very much different from any other manufacturer's deal;erships (or if there are Dealers who are interested in establishing long term relationships I have yet to meet them in 35 years of buying cars). My recent experience with VW and Audi and Jaguar and Honda and Peugeot and Mercedes and BMW is that they want you to part with as much money as possible and give as little in return as they can and they will tell you anything or (just as bad) avoid answering questions in order to get the deal. I think if you go into a dealership knowing you are going to have a poor experience you are unlikely to come away disappointed. The car buying process from main dealers is, in my experience, deeply unpleasant and reduces the pleasure in buying a new car. I really do not think that current dealers look any further forward than the immediate sale and are simply not ineterested in repeat business.  Having said all of that, I bought my first Fabia (used) from Alex Laurie in Liverpool about 10 years ago and the female sales person (called Alex, if I recall) was very good.

yeah I completely agree. I was just pointing out my experience of Skoda's handling of me. I wasn't suggesting by that that any other car manufacturers sales/showrooms are any better, just that skoda were crap. I have no doubt and I also know that other dealerships of different makes are also terrible, but for me, I'd rather take my chances somewhere else. 

In my experience so far, anyone who deals in selling either cars (used or new!) or houses are complete crooks. 

I've had this happen a couple of times since getting my Fabia Colour Edition two weeks ago.

When it first happened I thought it was because the radio saw my iPhone 5 as a USB device. I used the eject safely menu, and reset Smartlink, and all seemed fine again.

But today it happened once more when I first used the car. Tried a reset and eject but that didn't fix it. Started the car a couple hours later and plugged in the iPhone and all was well.

I'm wondering if it's a timing issue. In that, the phone needs plugging in before or after the car is started. And before or after the Bolero comes on. Not DURING either of those events.

yeah I completely agree. I was just pointing out my experience of Skoda's handling of me. I wasn't suggesting by that that any other car manufacturers sales/showrooms are any better, just that skoda were crap. I have no doubt and I also know that other dealerships of different makes are also terrible, but for me, I'd rather take my chances somewhere else.

In my experience so far, anyone who deals in selling either cars (used or new!) or houses are complete crooks.

I think it very much depends on the dealer. Our Skoda dealer (Mitchell) have always been fantastic and locally have an excellent reputation alongside their other brands (Mazda and Lexus). Skoda overall also do very well in driver power surveys, so it's a shame that some dealers are letting the side down.

It's a similar story with other makes, though. The other car in our household is a Citroen and our dealer are nothing short of dozy and unhelpful - huge contrast to the Skoda one.

I'm guessing the phone would still work through Bluetooth though, right?

Guess it's worth keeping an emergency phone cradle in the car just in case you have to revert to using sat nav from your phone's screen. Not ideal but in the interim I guess it's better than being completely without any navigation...

Getting fed up of hearing about dealers who can't be bothered!

Do they want us to buy another car from them or what?

this is part of the reason I no longer drive a skoda (plus I didn't like the new fabia once I sat in it), VW were snobs, looked at vauxhall for daughter what a  waste of time

but skoda used to be very good on service, gone downhill the last 3-4 years in my opinion, they may bounce back but they seem to be being forced into a clone of VW in all ways at the moment and lost their own identity both from a service and unique design of the vehicles

Edited by bluecar1

this is part of the reason I no longer drive a skoda (plus I didn't like the new fabia once I sat in it), VW were snobs, looked at vauxhall for daughter what a waste of time

but skoda used to be very good on service, gone downhill the last 3-4 years in my opinion, they may bounce back but they seem to be being forced into a clone of VW in all ways at the moment and lost their own identity both from a service and unique design of the vehicles

May have been the dealer being used as o have to say after changing dealer for servicing and purchase of a new mk3 I'm a lot happier with the service received.

Edited by Sheppeygirl93

Seems to me that understanding, cell phone HTC everything works part navigation Wise Facebook games such as video on the next. Pelephone Galaxy note 4 it go I see the cell phone screen system after 3 Sniotz it out