Phone connectivity, Columbus

Hi All,

I know there are various topics touching on the subject but I thought I would open a thread to give my thoughts on all the options of phone connectivity on the Columbus system. I use my phone extensively every day and I should add I only really want the benefit of the user interface, and I am not a user of the various music or map apps.

CarPlay - completely unreliable. I have an iPhone 5S and when it works it's exactly what I want but it is so unreliable and connects and disconnects repeatedly. You're right, it's the normal issue wth Apple cables - but I have used many genuine and 3rd party cables and it is still as flaky. I could not even get a trip to the local shop and back with it remaining connected.

Android Auto - got a new Sony Xperia M4 running lollipop android 5 and used the AA with this. I have to say the connection seemed to be flawless but I just did not like the interface and the functionality. Then I had a bigger problem(which I have mentioned in other threads) - the M4 has a well documented problem with the level of the Bluetooth volume being too low, making it useless as a business phone. So, AA not for me, handset completely crap!

mirrorlink - this week I have chucked the Sony for a Samsung S6 running android 6 marshmallow or whatever, which is compatible with the MIrrorLink. So I gave that a go, accepted loads of permissions as usual and once connected - no compatible apps.... What about the basic ones that I want like the phone and messages, why aren't they working? I explored on the phone and found the car app which turns the screen the way you want it to mirror to the car, but it still wouldn't work. Thinking it might be a cable issue I used the brand new Samsung cable which came with it yesterday but still no good. The phone screen says it is connected and mirroring, but the Columbus says no compatible apps...... Baffled.

Therefore my conclusion is that all the 3 systems are awful, and I actually think the phone element of the Columbus is excellent and performs flawlessly for what I want. I am just a bit of a gadget fan so I would have liked to have the option of using more so CarPlay and Mirrorlink with my current handsets.

And I am not that bothered about the additional apps, so I can only begin to imagine how ****ed off some other people are!

So they are my thoughts, and if anyone can share your experiences or throw any ideas on how to get them running with stability I would be interested to hear them.

For me I find the basic phone connectivity excellent. Android Auto seems to work very well for me too - Sony Experia Z3 compact. Haven't tried Mirrorlink or Apple CarPlay.

One quirk - my Amazon music tracks don't seem to show up in the app, but do appear in Google music...

I'm not a techy type though, so I tend to stop exploring when I get the basics set up :)

Apart from some oddities in Audible I've found CarPlay flawless. Bought a certified 20cm cable, perfect length for the job.

Wish list would be to get Google Maps in CarPlay but honestly I can't imagine that would ever happen.

Apart from some oddities in Audible I've found CarPlay flawless. Bought a certified 20cm cable, perfect length for the job.

Good to hear, due an upgrade soon so hopefully is could be my handset that is flaky

Wish list would be to get Google Maps in CarPlay but honestly I can't imagine that would ever happen.

Therefore my conclusion is that all the 3 systems are awful

i would say all 4 -

SmartGate also is useless,

in user manual is written you can connect trough WiFi or WiFi Direct,

on Samsung Note4 i can see only first method and phone then lose i-net connection ...

• Like 1

Mirrorlink works flawlessly with my HTC One (M8). My only annoyance is the screen turning off when I start driving. I find myself just using it when waiting for my wife/daughter when picking them up from places.

Android Auto also works flawlessly too, but I just don't use it. I can stream music from my phone without having to connect to AA, and at the moment I'm content to use the car's satnav instead of any app.

Just collected my L&K Hatchback (UK Spec) from the dealer. Contrary to what is shown in the manual there is no sim slot between the 2 SD card slots in the glove box. Is this correct for UK cars?

Also, can I remove the SD card with the satnav maps on it or does the card have to stay in there permanently?

Just collected my L&K Hatchback (UK Spec) from the dealer. Contrary to what is shown in the manual there is no sim slot between the 2 SD card slots in the glove box. Is this correct for UK cars?

Correct that is for the:

Premium WLAN with integrated high-speed LTE internet Includes SIM card slot and rSAP profile compatibility to provide high-speed LTE internet. Only available in combination with Columbus satellite navigation system

Which is a £350 option.

Also, can I remove the SD card with the satnav maps on it or does the card have to stay in there permanently?

The maps are AIUI not on the SD card (mine came without any SD cards), so you have 2 SD card slots available for your music etc

Cheers for the quick reply Gizmo. The map SD card is in slot 1 and the DVDs case for the card is in the glovebox. I'll remove the card to make room for my music card. Not impressed with the Skoda maps, they seem ancient! TomTom, Garmin, Apple, Google maps all have new A453 layout in them, Skoda does not. Tried to get me to cross the central reservation on the dual carriage way twice on to side roads that no longer exist. I'd better order a phone mount and stick with my TomTom on the phone...

Not impressed with the Skoda maps, they seem ancient!

Update them. It's free. Download from Skoda site, bang on SD card, update.

The last update was November 2015, next is June 2016.

The map data is provided by 'Here' who also provide data to BMW, Daimler, Garmin as well as VW group.

Edited by Kungfugerbil