140 bhp or the 170bhp

Terry I did a round trip from Saddleworth to Brackley in my S2 4x4 170 manual estate last week and averaged 46mpg. Not bad for a 60 plate car.

• Like 1

My 170 4x4 has been the best car I've ever owned. Never missed a beat. Brilliant in snow with winter tyres.

Waiting for a S3 to arrive but the S2 will be missed.

After 2 months of S3 ownership I still miss both of my previous CR170 Elegances. The 170 engine is more urgent and revvy than the 190. The latter almost feels like an old 8 valve unit in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the CR190 is a quick car but doesn't feel that quick compared to the old engine. I think a remap might be on the cards at some point in the future. The car feels like it needs about 50bhp more. 

• Administrators

On many a test run over open A roads, my remapped 1704x4 could just keep on a FWD 170 Passat.

So my conclusion, a 140FWD will prob feel closer to a 1704x4 ( sans traction )

A 1404x4 will feel a country mile off a 170FWD pace, unless you're on a country lane.

I should've gotten a DSG, but I'm certain I got it right with opting for the 4x4. My commute was 60% C>B>A roads a bit of M60 around manc.

But if you're doing all town & m-way miles and almost no spirited driving in predictably good conditions, let's say you know you're not going past Oxford in winter, then a 4x4 is probably a tougher call. As you're not a million miles away in south yorkshire it's debatable. I used my 4x4 here a few times to get to manchester and scotland. The odd one around brum where I drove around a slowing landrover (winter tyres v summer ) on the M5, shame he was a good plough.

The 4x4 cost me in fuel and outright zoom zoom, but it's far more fun on damp roads, by fun I mean responsible safety ;)

140 v 170, if I was in just a FWD doing my commute, the 140 would also of been good enough.... but any pulse or desire to overtake... well I ended up remapping the 170, enough said.

• Like 1

I'd go for the DSG every single time. Especially in a superb - it's made for auto!

and i'd go for the manual every time- the manual gearbox is great, DSG isn't (IMHO)

Edited by Bristolf2b
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I found I used my upper rev range far less when mapped. But just the odd time to make sure it was still there. Running with low oil, cold is faster. That said with the lesser quality metals in the whole fabrication for the last decade....