Eco Mode ... Is it worth using ?

3 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

ECO mode can suit or not suit different people in different circumstances in different vehicles with different engines and gearboxes.

Hardly worth comparing apples, pears, lemons, oranges and gooseberries.

Gooseberries tend to be unwelcome in most situations.

44 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Not if making Gooseberry Jam, quite essential really.   They grow lots around my way.

This is something that could probably be made to go on forever, but I have the feeling that my wit may not be a match for yours so I will desist. My father was from Tayside, but it was raspberries round his way - at least you can blow those.

Gooseberries! Where?    You just can't get 'em around these parts nowadays, used to be very popular in and around Mansfield - The Mansfield Gooseberry Pork Pie, 'twas wonderful.

What have we started? Eventually it will be noticed that this has nothing to do with Skodas - I'm just waiting agog (or possibly goosegog) with anticipation to see what fabulous topic the moderators will move this stuff to!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

ECO mode can suit or not suit different people in different circumstances in different vehicles with different engines and gearboxes.

Hardly worth comparing apples, pears, lemons, oranges and gooseberries.

Completely agree, so much wasted time on non relevant comparisons.

Drive the car, learn the car, enjoy the car.

For me in a slightly tuned 280, Eco does make a difference, not as much as Sport does in the other direction :devil: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberto280 said:

Completely agree, so much wasted time on non relevant comparisons.

Drive the car, learn the car, enjoy the car.

For me in a slightly tuned 280, Eco does make a difference, not as much as Sport does in the other direction :devil: 

It may have been useful to a few peeps if some useful data had been provided though, even if that were to show me I am wasting my time setting ECO mode on every trip!

Conversely it may have seen others helped by deciding to start doing the same.

Instead, two of us provided some data, then we moved to half a page about jam.

Edited by Gax
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gax said:

It may have been useful to a few peeps if some useful data had been provided though, even if that were to show me I am wasting my time setting ECO mode on every trip!

Conversely it may have seen others helped by deciding to start doing the same.

Instead, two of us provided some data, then we moved to half a page about jam.

But the data is all about your driving style!!!

How quickly you move off, how quickly you get to the speed limit, how hard you break.....

Only tru way is to try out the systems to match your own style

1 minute ago, Gax said:

Fair do's mate.

I'll never understand forums where people chip in to say they have no interest in the discussion being had.

Cos it can be fun and not everyone takes life so so seriously!

10 minutes ago, Roberto280 said:

But the data is all about your driving style!!!

How quickly you move off, how quickly you get to the speed limit, how hard you break.....

Only tru way is to try out the systems to match your own style

Cos it can be fun and not everyone takes life so so seriously!

Okay, thanks.

@Gax Your vehicle became the pinnacle of what VW Group / SKoda were trying to achieve which was lower emissions for the size and type of vehicle under the WLTP / RDE from petrol cars without being hybrid..

So 1.5 TSI but with ACT & DSG.

ECO works rather differently in different drivetrains / fuels etc.   Then there is load in car, weather, road surface and types, so location location location.

If people just post without saying what their car is and what engine then people on their phone might not see that at the left hand side.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Chill,

The thread is over 5 years old and there was tumbleweed blowing through before the revival. 

Alas poor Eco Thread.... I knew you well....

• Haha 2

I've finally twigged this whole gooseberry thing. Apples vs. pears is an oft-used analogy for trying to compare completely different things. Oranges vs. lemons are too similar to be used in that way, and doesn't really work. Gooseberries, however, don't fit in with any of the other fruit groups used in the original post on the subject and I now see that they were only included as part of your five-a-day. In that role any fruit, or indeed vegetable, would do - brussels sprouts, for example, which could also be used to produce the raspberries mentioned two days ago.

• Haha 2