Replacing driver door handle cable (inside)

Hi,

Have had a good look around but can't find a definitive way to replace the driver door handle cable. I have a new cable and have stripped down the door, just need to disconnect the old cable from the lock end. Is there a knack for getting this off or instructions anyone could help me with?

Thanks in advance.

Need to take out the lock mech from the door as the cable hooks through it in such a way as to not come back out. And there aint space for fiddling in the door frame :)

• Like 1

Also, its important when doing the mech removal, take a pic or count how many threads of the outer handle are in their grooves - i did my rear one recently and had to strip it back out 6wks later as the door handles stopped working. Id over tightened the outer cable a notch, and over 4wks it stopped working outside then inside...

• Like 1

I just had to replace the driver's door pull cable.  I was able to do it without removing the latch assembly from the door but it was a bitch!  Removing the old cable was easy...just rotate the end upwards 90 degrees and it comes out of the lever but getting the new cable back in was MUCH more difficult.  I was finally able to get it back in but it seems that removing the latch assembly from the door would make it easier.

I just had to replace the driver's door pull cable.  I was able to do it without removing the latch assembly from the door but it was a bitch!  Removing the old cable was easy...just rotate the end upwards 90 degrees and it comes out of the lever but getting the new cable back in was MUCH more difficult.  I was finally able to get it back in but it seems that removing the latch assembly from the door would make it easier.

That's pretty much what I suspected, out being much easier than in. Time it takes to get the mech out you may as well extract it. Takes longest to get the locking barrel out as they can be a bit sticky, tape up a window and loosen the back regulator to make room, loads of turns on the large tx, keep turning small screw until you feel a little resistance then stop! Don't undo completely and drop it! Takes a bit of manoeuvring to get it passed the regulator but it's a twenty minute job really including door card.

• 5 years later...

I managed to replace it without too much trouble. No need to take out the lock mechanism! Just take a Pair of pliers and Bend out the Door frame so you easily see the slot, fix the wire in slot with THE END hook and take a screwdriver and push the wire Up so it jumps in... Take the pliers and Bend back the door frame. Done! IF you have a Friend near you can ask Them to drag the latch towards you with a hook, you then see the slot even more easily. Easy work, No need for a lock removal!