Help Needed, Spares or Repairs or Fix ?

So I have a really nice Octavia vRS Mk1 which I have owned for 3 excellent years of commuting and has just ticked passed 100k :)

Recently done the door mechanisms front springs and many other niggles, but with a new car enroute the plan was to MOT it and sell it.

It passed the MOT fine last month, with just an advisory which I had booked in to fix today. The lambda sensor was getting replaced but the coil pack needed doing as well. No problem.

The real issue is the cost added by the rear springs which cracked on one side after having sat a while and being corroded the stretch of being on the ramp killed it off.

So here's the issue. It's worth 1500 on a good day, the bill is 560 quid if I go ahead. I reckon a spares or repairs its worth 600 quid minimum in the condition it is :) Can I really be bothered to chase a couple of hundred quid getting it repaired and selling full price.

The interior is mint say 250, the wheels fetch 150 and the tyres are new and worth at least 150. Does anyone have any experience of breaking these successfully ? Add the cost not spent and the simple bolt off parts you can sell it's a good option. I did this with my last car non Skoda.

I really hate not being able to fix things tidy but the economics are driving me towards killing it off atm which is a real shame :( I priced up doing it myself and it doesn't make enough of a difference as the labour is only a couple of hours and the parts are well priced to be fair.

Just after some opinions really as I sway from one way to the other atm.

13217102_10208351214951713_1652189310380

Edited by 53Racing

Springs lambda and coils :)

560 still sounds very pricey. I'd be looking to source the parts and do it myself. You could risk the Beru coils which aren't bad as pattern parts go, will save a bit. Denso lambda will also save some. Reckon you can do all that yourself for £300-320 and do it all in 2 hours. Only other thing you'd need is a lambda socket for easier removal and fitting.

• Like 1

kyb do a vrs specific rear spring which you should be able to get for well under £100

to fit is really easy, esp if you have spring compressors - otherwise a garage can easily do it in an hour

Fix it yourself (or get some local members round to help - just provide tea and butties :) ) and keep it on the back burner - Mk1's will be getting rarer and rarer at this rate, with quite a few being broken. Look at how the original Golf's etc are selling these days - even the mk2's are going up. They may be cheap to buy at the moment, but they can't really get much lower, values will start rising, especially for unmolested ones.

• Like 1

kyb do a vrs specific rear spring which you should be able to get for well under £100

to fit is really easy, esp if you have spring compressors - otherwise a garage can easily do it in an hour

Can you compress them off and on without dropping the rear sub ?

Not sure my 13 year old vrs would get a coilpack recall replacement ? The NGK ones are only 35 quid I think.

Not sure my 13 year old vrs would get a coilpack recall replacement ? The NGK ones are only 35 quid I think.

They would honour the recall as long as they're the original vag coil packs. People on here have done the recall thing very recently.

Part/revision numbers are what VAG dealers go by not age. So if your car has the coilpacks that are covered by the replacement campaign the dealer will replace them free of charge.

• Like 1

various ways of doing the job - look up mk4 golf rear spring howto

Edited by STSKODA
  • Like 1