High mileage

My vRS has 142K miles on it, runs great, all original just stage 1 trim, just wondering what I can do besides regularly changing the oil/filter etc to make it live for as long as possible?
I'm gonna try having her alive for as long as she's not too pricey ;-)

Service every 10k, not one mile after, and stick to genuine filters and oil. These engines are very picky on sticking to the schedule.

Other than that depends on your inclination. I practise preventative maintenance so if something seems like it might go soonish I uprate all round, but that costs. I know people who have gone 200k+ by just doing the bare minimum when something breaks. All up to you.

Most of all, enjoy the car! :)

Mine is a '51 plate, bought five years ago with 70k on the clock, now on 160k.

I was lucky to find one with one owner and a really nice service history in the first place, it was obviously loved. All I did after purchase was fit a Forge 007 recirc valve, a Pipercross replacement panel air filter, NGK BPR7 plugs and have a Revo stage 1 remap like yours. These simple mods made the car fabulous! Oh yeah, and I've done the intercooler wheelarch mod, using a nice plastic grille I found on ebay.

Since then, as above, I have religiously stuck to a 10,000 mile oil and filter change regime, using a genuine VAG filter from the main stealer at 8 quid a pop, and Mobil 1 0w/40 oil. Expensive oil, yes, but with my Halfords trade card, only £35 for a 5 litre bottle. Looking at industry data about oil, and having used Mobil in my motorbike race engines for years - I'm convinced that it's still the best engine lubricant available.

I've not done the oil pickup pipe - and some would say I'm dicing with death - but as it had such a decent original history and with my continued servicing with Mobil 1, I've decided it's probably pretty clean. I've certainly never even seen a hint of the oil lamp flickering, or hear any rattles - and it does get driven properly, believe me :D finally, she uses 4 litres of oil over 10,000 miles these days. At first she didn't use any at all, but 4 litres over 10k at that mileage is still pretty decent, right?

I've only ever used Shell V-Power, apart from the odd 'splash-n-dash' of a tenner's worth of whatever, when I've had to.

Cambelts and water pumps done every 40k - I like the insurance!

I've changed the fuel filter twice in that time, the plugs three times, and the gearbox oil twice too, using genuine VAG oil. These are very sensitive to gearbox oil, and at 160k the gearbox is still a sweet delight to use - snicks through changes like a well-oiled sewing machine. So I think keeping the oil fresh has been worthwhile.

I've recently done all the engine breather pipes and the dipstick housing - they weren't bad, but like above, it's preventative maintenance as these parts have a reputation for causing problems.

It's worth removing the wheel arch liners, especially on the front, and cleaning all the crud and detritus out that accumulates behind them. It might cause a rust issue one day.

Other than having to replace coilpacks more than I'd like to :( general maintenance rules apply - keep an eye on your engine bay, have a good look round every week or two with a torch for leaks, wear, loose bits etc - and have a look underneath every now and again for any damage to underseal etc. which might cause corrosion. That said, mine's 15 years old now, and has not a hint of corrosion anywhere.

The general build quality and longevity of these cars continues to amaze me. If you keep an eye on it, it will serve you well for years.

I'm definitely gonna keep mine until I see at least 200k on the clock!!!

My vRS has 142K miles on it, runs great, all original just stage 1 trim, just wondering what I can do besides regularly changing the oil/filter etc to make it live for as long as possible?

I'm gonna try having her alive for as long as she's not too pricey ;-)

I'm up to 160k like Ray..... mine has a service history (company car) on variable, and oil changed every 20k ish..... I will probably carry this on by doing a yearly service, as I do about 20k a year, and if its worked for 160k, i would think it would be fine ;)

mine had the oil pick up changed at 150k... its always worth doing... do a search on here and you can read genuine stories of a blockage causing low oil pressure and a destroyed engine....

mine is stage one, air filter, decat , 3inch SS exhaust (inc downpipe) , vr6 clutch G60 flywheel, poly dogbone mount, polybushed wishbones.

runs great! It did brake down once with a dead starter motor, a new starter obviously cured this. I will be keeping it for a while, so expect to go to 200k......

future plans are FMIC and stage 2 map. RARB (not sure in what order) and thats probably it for now, as its the family car.... I may stretch to  koni suspension setup (NOT coilovers ,STR-T)

mine uses a little oil, which is apparently unusual (but uses less than my brand new fabia vRS did) about a litre every 4,000 miles.... doesn't smoke, pulls strong.

I think i will replace the pick up again, maybe at 200k......

Guys r u still on original clutch ? mines on 106 k FSH just had third belt and pump change I'm at a crossroads in relation to keeping it I bought it at 48k 6 yrs ago and it's never let me down still good condition and on original exhaust and clutch ,it's warmed up properly and cooled down properly only used for 10 mile plus journeys. It's totally standard I'm thinking of remap but worried re clutch and engine longevity .

Guys r u still on original clutch ? mines on 106 k FSH just had third belt and pump change I'm at a crossroads in relation to keeping it I bought it at 48k 6 yrs ago and it's never let me down still good condition and on original exhaust and clutch ,it's warmed up properly and cooled down properly only used for 10 mile plus journeys. It's totally standard I'm thinking of remap but worried re clutch and engine longevity .

a remap is well worth it.... it wont effect engine longevity, not sure about your clutch though, mine has the vR6 clutch and G60 flywheel (done at approx 150k) .... remap it, and see if it breaks :) if it does , put a new clutch in :)

Pray tell of this intercooler mod you speak of.....curiosity has been peaked 

Here you go dude, here's the thread I did about it:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/332270-intercooler-arch-mod-with-pictures/

As standard, the intercooler on these only has an air inlet in the front bumper, but not an outlet. Bit mad. So putting a vent in the wheelarch liner increases the airflow through the intercooler x loads.

Arse dyno says more power....but it's particularly noticeable on hot days especially when in traffic and then when you put your foot down, you can feel the hesitation from heat soak - goes away when doing this mod.

Also, on really cold days and at night, there's definitely a huge benefit felt.

Easy mod - £5 and an hour or so.

Edited by Ray Luxury-Yacht
  • Like 1