Park Assist or Rear Camera

Expatman

I never use the park assist on Hetty, by the time it's engaged I have already parked using the Parking sensors and the rear view camera I fitted. The PA was bought for She Who Must Be Obeyed, who has never used it despite insisting on the option (reason: too fiddly) I have used the PA when the space is really tight and there is is time to crawl along with it engaged. All in all for our next Yeti we are going to just go with the parking sensors and rear view camera.

Edited by DrPinball

Have front and back sensors and PA, the front sensors in particular I find very useful as I find calculating how close the front wings are to obstacles difficult when manoevering tightly.

Used the PA for the first time in earnest yesterday in a Lake Disrict layby ( Glenridding) - brilliant . Space looked too small and an Audi had tried to pinch it from me and failed to get in ! Got me parked with quickly  and with no hassle and impressed "onlookers".

Only time sensors have "failed" was with a high level obstacle which impacted just below the rear window in the dark.

Eventually decided to defer buying decision until late 206/early 2017. Having had a quick check of alternatives to the Yeti there seems to be a multitude of new models due over the next few months from Audi, Seat, Peugeot, Volvo etc. and I am wondering if it makes sense to buy a 9 year old design Yeti rather than wait and get a more modern alternative, new Yeti is not due until 2018 so too late for me. I think Skoda have left the launch of Yeti 2 18 months too long. Not saying I won't choose another Yeti but feel I must check out the opposition before deciding, I suppose it will come down to cost benefit analysis with personal preference thrown in.

They say that SUV's are making up an increasing proportion of the market and the number I see on the roads now that is clearly the case. Trouble is with all the manufacturers producing them and in some cases (and increasingly so) producing them in different sizes the choice is getting a bit bewildering! Nice problem to have though.

A bit easier for those like me who tend to stick with one marque or group but even if sticking with VWG there is quite a choice and growing.

As for buying a 9 year old design you have to consider whether the new offerings actually are better in the areas that really matter i.e. drivability, performance etc., personally I doubt it as they are so good already and have been for quite a few years. The only areas where there is much change is on the tech. front and some of that is questionable and not essential. It is obviously nice to have a new model though.

As regards parking I have the front and rear sensors which are fine but it would be nice to have the camera as a check for obstacles now and then. Wouldn't have PA because I still like to be in control and pride damn it (!) and because as said you'd be able to get into spaces I would normally just pass by because of the danger of getting bumped by neighbouring cars getting out. When all cars have it (same goes for hands off driving or whatever it's called) then OK, but until then no and I probably won't be around that long! 

Edited by VAGCF

They say that SUV's are making up an increasing proportion of the market and the number I see on the roads now that is clearly the case. Trouble is with all the manufacturers producing them and in some cases (and increasingly so) producing them in different sizes the choice is getting a bit bewildering! Nice problem to have though.

A bit easier for those like me who tend to stick with one marque or group but even if sticking with VWG there is quite a choice and growing.

As for buying a 9 year old design you have to consider whether the new offerings actually are better in the areas that really matter i.e. drivability, performance etc., personally I doubt it as they are so good already and have been for quite a few years. The only areas where there is much change is on the tech. front and some of that is questionable and not essential. It is obviously nice to have a new model though.

As regards parking I have the front and rear sensors which are fine but it would be nice to have the camera as a check for obstacles now and then. Wouldn't have PA because I still like to be in control and pride damn it (!) and because as said you'd be able to get into spaces I would normally just pass by because of the danger of getting bumped by neighbouring cars getting out. When all cars have it (same goes for hands off driving or whatever it's called) then OK, but until then no and I probably won't be around that long! 

Agreed, and that's why I have not ruled out the Yeti. In many ways it is just right - just right external size, just right vision from drivers seat not compromised by "design", just right seat height, just right 'stand-out-from-the-crowd looks. Okay technology could do with a bit of a minor update to improve efficiency but I am worried that an update will mean more touchscreen menus so making a simple change to A/C or radio will require multiple inputs by a touchscreen control. In my view some of the touchscreen systems are verging towards dangerous driver distraction, surely controls in a moving vehicle should be a one-touch operation without the need to take your eyes off the road. Current Yeti technology is like that with  separate knobs etc. for radio, A/C etc. which you soon learn where the controls are so can adjust without taking your eyes off the road. Hmm talking myself more and more into a replacement Yeti!!

• Like 1

Be good to look at the existing competition and if nothing better go for it!

At least if you change now the new Yeti will have been out for a year or two and any teething problems will have surfaced.

At least if you change now the new Yeti will have been out for a year or two and any teething problems will have surfaced.

Yes, that's what I have decided to do. Put off buying to end 2016, early 2017 so i can check newcomer competitors and than see what Skoda are going to do to Yeti to (hopefully) enhance it for it's last years production. Rumour has it that 1.2 might be replaced with more powerful and efficient 1.0 Tsi and might get some goodies within price of specced up SEL DSG model.

Anyways looking forward to trying competitors in the meantime.

• Like 1

Yep, that's what I did after spending months trying to find an acceptable spec to replace my L&K Yeti.. The nearest I came was the New Ateca but was concerned about the possible long wait for a bespoke spec delivery.  The deal I got on a new Yeti PX + Cash discount was good enough to give me the flexibility to have anew car now but still retain the option to keep an eye on the market.  If nothing else turns up then we have a car that will be comfortable and a good drive till the Yeti 2 surfaces in 2018.  None of the cars we looked at had good enough combinations of specs, engines gearboxes, emissions etc. to match the Yeti in my opinion.

The Ateca was due to take orders on the 3rd May that was cancelled, as yet I don't know of anyone who has placed an order let alone get a firm delivery date.  The Ateca First Edition for the UK is only 200 cars I think that will turn into quite a bun fight to get one of those?  The sort of spec we were looking at is rumoured to delivery sometime early next year!  Everyone of the VW family is fighting for the same new engines and gearboxes in the pecking order of things I guess the VW/Audi brands will win out over Skoda/Seat.

• Like 1