Engine racing at junctions?

I obviously didn't expect them to change the pedal without checking it, but as they are known to be iffy and I pointed that out it seemed opportunistic to charge £33 on top of the £195. The pedals are just over £100 from Skoda so there should have been enough in the cost of repair for them, particularly if it's a known fault - but goodwill is sometimes lacking and some dealers don't seem to realise the short sightedness of making a fast buck.

• Like 2

So you got charged £33 even though you told them what the fault was ?? Flippin' 'eck!

Jeeze Louise! :sweat:  I thought I was looking at around £100, not double that.  I hope the PTFE spray works then!  It's been delivered this morning, haven't had chance to use it yet... will report back later....

Reporting back. The PTFE spray seems to have worked! I don't know if it's because it has an extra long straw to spray in the awkward to get to bits, or whether the other spray didn't reach far enough. Tried it out today and it's no longer revving away! Long may it continue! :) :)

• Like 3

I obviously didn't expect them to change the pedal without checking it, but as they are known to be iffy and I pointed that out it seemed opportunistic to charge £33 on top of the £195. The pedals are just over £100 from Skoda so there should have been enough in the cost of repair for them, particularly if it's a known fault - but goodwill is sometimes lacking and some dealers don't seem to realise the short sightedness of making a fast buck.

Very true.

£33 diagnostic to check the fault

£100 pedal

Think the labour is about an hour book time, bit fiddlier on Roomster and Fabia 2 as you can't remove the lower dash panel. £80 per hour plus VAT is about average.

So about right for a main dealer.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the misfortune of driving through London yesterday (Thursday) and I think the ten hour drive down from Aberdeen has left the pedal sticking again. Wasn't too much of a problem as we were hardly moving in London anyway but I noticed it.

Anyway on a possibly related matter, another thing I noticed with all that low speed driving, as in the kind where you would like to be off the clutch but you're not quite going fast enough, then you do get a short bit where you get a bit of throttle on and then you have to let off again but just having the clutch out still is fine. When I let off the accelerator, there is a slight delay before the engine speed falls but when it does, it's almost violent the engine braking that comes after, like the computer is over compensating

Apologies for the long ramble but does anyone else think it could be pedal related or does it sound more like something else. I know I would need to get it tested but that will have to wait.

Not sure with a manual, Rich, mine is the auto version. I only notice my car braking for itself when the cruise control is switched on. Could you have left this switched on by mistake?

Rich - might the engine braking you describe be the effect of the anti stall?  Have a look at this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/301052-tickover-high/?hl=%2Banti+%2Bstall#entry3664399

Also, on a quiet road ;) try to replicate the problem.  If you can reduce the high revs by hooking up the accelerator pedal with your foot, then the throttle position sensor may be at fault.

Rich - might the engine braking you describe be the effect of the anti stall?  Have a look at this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/301052-tickover-high/?hl=%2Banti+%2Bstall#entry3664399

Also, on a quiet road ;) try to replicate the problem.  If you can reduce the high revs by hooking up the accelerator pedal with your foot, then the throttle position sensor may be at fault.

I had the problem with the sticky pedal previously, a good spray sorted it out although it may need to be redone.

Yeah I'm aware of the anti-stall, this works perfectly when just creeping along by just letting the clutch out gently. Its when you just feather the accelerator to get a little more speed up and then let off again, there's a slight delay in the revs dropping and then the engine braking kicks in and its quite abrupt, nearly like you've put your left foot on the brake. It maybe is just the way of the engine but I would expect it to be a bit smoother on the let off. Maybe I'm expecting too much? Haha.

It won't be Cruise Control Morgana, its not fitted. :notme:

Overall though, we've just returned home from a near 1800 mile tour of the UK and other than the driver's door electrics becoming intermittant and the afore mentioned violence at low speeds (and the most minor of minor scrapes that I'm trying very hard to forget), the car has been faultless.

• Like 1

I wonder whether the low speed problems you describe are a breathing related problem - I had this until I fitted PD160 intake, it's now much smoother (but not totally solved)

I wonder whether the low speed problems you describe are a breathing related problem - I had this until I fitted PD160 intake, it's now much smoother (but not totally solved)

I wonder if there is a similar mod for the 1.6 TDi CR?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway on a possibly related matter, another thing I noticed with all that low speed driving, as in the kind where you would like to be off the clutch but you're not quite going fast enough, then you do get a short bit where you get a bit of throttle on and then you have to let off again but just having the clutch out still is fine. When I let off the accelerator, there is a slight delay before the engine speed falls but when it does, it's almost violent the engine braking that comes after, like the computer is over compensating

Apologies for the long ramble but does anyone else think it could be pedal related or does it sound more like something else. I know I would need to get it tested but that will have to wait.

I noted this too, but since adding a PD160 air intake the problem has gone .... work that out !