Over eager cooling or cooling problem

The last two trips I have taken my new 190 DSG estate have been short (10 and 4 mile) runs and both times when I came back the cooling fan was really going for it and continued to run for a good 3 or 4 minutes after engine off. I don't recall this happening on a couple of longer trips I did previously. It has not got any warmer weather wise, so I was wondering if this could be indicative of a cooling issue or is the fan just a little over eager?

Also, does anyone have any idea how easy it is to get the driver's door adjusted, mine doesn't fully close as easily as it should...

Any advice appreciated. Cheers

It can be dpf that's burning off.

Thanks... Having done a hunt on Google (some results from this site  :doh: ) it looks like that is the case. The engine did not get hot enough. Longer run tomorrow, will see what happens.

• Like 1

Also, does anyone have any idea how easy it is to get the driver's door adjusted, mine doesn't fully close as easily as it should...

Talk to your dealer - that's something that should be fixed quickly without question if it's a fault. The door on a new car should definitely close properly!

I have an issue on my car where the rubber seal of the driver door is catching the rubber trim of the rear passenger door. The long and short was the mechanics looked at it and couldn't determine if it is just the rubber seal that needs removing and resetting or if the door itself needs rehanging.

To do the rubber seal they reckon it's a two hour job. If the door needs rehanging they need the car for two days in the bodyshop. It's booked in for a provisional 2 days next week.

As for the fan - that's normal. You stopped the car while it was doing a burn-off of the gunk collected in the DPF. You may also notice a burning smell or the smell of foul eggs shortly after stopping.

I have an issue on my car where the rubber seal of the driver door is catching the rubber trim of the rear passenger door. The long and short was the mechanics looked at it and couldn't determine if it is just the rubber seal that needs removing and resetting or if the door itself needs rehanging.

To do the rubber seal they reckon it's a two hour job. If the door needs rehanging they need the car for two days in the bodyshop. It's booked in for a provisional 2 days next week.

As for the fan - that's normal. You stopped the car while it was doing a burn-off of the gunk collected in the DPF. You may also notice a burning smell or the smell of foul eggs shortly after stopping.

Blimey! 2 days! Just booked mine in for for an hour-long investigation next week. It's not a big issue, as the door closes OK, it just doesn't close first time every time and its getting on my t!ts. Hopefully it will be a simple fix.

If the fans keep running when the engine stops, you've interrupted an active DPF regeneration. It will resume on the next journey provided certain conditions are met and isn't  usually a problem.

The exact reason the fans over-run with the engine switched off is to dissipate excessive heat build up from the engine bay. The DPF is right behind the engine and belts out a load of heat when regenerating (note the vast array of heat shielding in that area). The fans push the heat out the back of the engine bay so it doesn't accumulate and cause problems. 

• Like 1

Talk to your dealer - that's something that should be fixed quickly without question if it's a fault. The door on a new car should definitely close properly!

If you have any fit and finish issues with doors, bonnet or boot etc, you have 6 mths from purchase when the dealer is obligated to fix them for free. Leave it any longer and it's not covered by warranty!

I've found the panel gaps on S3 not great compared to my Octy 3 VRS. Also, the vRS door seals blocked off the gaps between the doors and /or the body, whereas the Superbs don't. Not sure why they have done this but think it's cost cutting along the same lines as with the crappier windscreen washer jets!

Tis a shame in my eyes, the cars great otherwise.

Edited by blahde2

If didn't take me long to rip out those crap washer nozzles for something that actually worked!

I'm still a bit stumped as to why they decided to opt for washer nozzles from the 1980s, when the fan jet nozzles are a proven design.