2007 Octavia Scout Transfer box prop shaft seal leak

Evening all,

I serviced my 2007 Octavia Scout today, nothing to report apart from a couple of droplinks to be replaced but then I noticed a small amount of oil around the bottom on the transfer box, then some splatters further up which are clearly where the prop shaft is spinning and flicking the oil upwards so then under closer inspection the leak appears to be the prop shaft seal not either driveshaft as I first thought.

So I thought it would be good practise to keep an eye on the transfer box oil levels until I can diagnose the leak for definite but I can't see where the drainplug or level plug is on the transfer box, could anyone help?

Also has anyone else undertaken prop shaft seal repair?

Thanks for any replies in advance

John

Just found the below in another thread so I will check this out tomorrow

has a magnetic drain plug fitted - looking from the O/S wheel its located level with the bottom of the inner CV joint.

As I understand it its filled via the gearbox but has a seperate oil drain as it wouldn't be drained when the one from the box is removed.

I have been in touch with Skoda today regarding a new prop oil seal and they seem baffled, they say that they look after the ambulance fleet which get a right thrashing and loads goes wrong with them due to this but a prop seal is unheard of!  

I had a problem in the past with a gearbox/clutch housing leak.

I added a gearbox stop leak product to the gearbox which didn't work as there couldn't have been a proper gasket to swell, just silicone from independent garage work.

In the end I thoroughly cleaned and degreased the external area where the leak was and applied a generous smear of silicone RTV instant gasket.

Problem solved.

Yes, all fasteners were tight.

Edited by MicMac

The angle box does have its own fill bung and it's a pain in the butt to get to. They stopped filling from the gearbox on the A4 chassis.

Ahh ok, that has surprised me as I couldn't see it anywhere, I am going to get back under the car tomorrow so will have a good route around.

You have to take the driveshaft and heat shield out to get to it, it's on the front edge.

Right ok, can you remember which side driveshaft?  I was hoping to be able to just check the oil level for next few weeks but if it is shaft out everytime then I better repair sooner rather later and just do it at home.

I took the driveshaft and heat shield off today and what a mess of a leak, seems to be around the prop only at the bottom and round behind the driveshaft but still not 100% where the leak is, I think the transfer box will have to come out for a final diagnosis and repair anyway, I am just trying to work out whether it will come out without dropping the subframe, anyone know????

Had a quick look this morning, I reckon it may well come out if it is pulled towards the o/s hub, I will have a go later if I get time.

Edited by Hendred

Plan C haha, the driveshaft is situated alot higher than the propshaft so using gravity law I am going for a driveshaft seal failure rather than propshaft, the oil must be running down and around, and the good news is that that can be done with the transfer box in situ hopefully, fingers crossed.

I took the driveshaft and heat shield off today and what a mess of a leak, seems to be around the prop only at the bottom and round behind the driveshaft but still not 100% where the leak is, I think the transfer box will have to come out for a final diagnosis and repair anyway, I am just trying to work out whether it will come out without dropping the subframe, anyone know????

When I changed the transfer box on mine I managed to disconnect the transfer box from the gearbox but it was impossible to remove it without pulling the gearbox from the engine to provide clearance. I didn't remove the gearbox just pulled it back. it is a lot of work as there is a lot that needs removed including the subframe.

Scott

Ok cheers Scott, I am struggling to find a leak at all now, I cleaned the oil off and drove it for 2 days and not a drop of oil yet, I have made sure there is oil in there.

Thanks for the word of warning though.

John