New 1.0 TSI 115CV motor?

regueton

More power and greater efficiency than the already popular 1.2 TSI?

on paper yes, but you need to find real world figures, maybe fuelly or someone in the Octavia forum

the fabia 1.2 TDi GLII had eye watering mpg claim (94mpg extra urban) rarely got over 65mpg even when driving like miss daisy

I did on 2 occasions in 2 1/2 years got over 85mpg, driving 56mph slip streaming lorries all the way kent to west midlands (190 miles)

the small 1.0L turbos are great for manufacturers for there average emmissions across the range but real world not that great, take an octavia with the engine for a drive and if you can do a back to back with a 1.2TSi and make your mind up, reset the trip computers try and drive the same route and compare the results

:D  No!

I've said many times that for me it's got to be a diesel in my Yeti.

It's not all about the numbers but the whole driving experience. ​ ​

Our 1.2 triple is simply a quiet diesel .....exactly the same torque curve as my 1.6 diesel

But

With petrol performance

on paper yes, but you need to find real world figures, maybe fuelly or someone in the Octavia forum

the fabia 1.2 TDi GLII had eye watering mpg claim (94mpg extra urban) rarely got over 65mpg even when driving like miss daisy

I did on 2 occasions in 2 1/2 years got over 85mpg, driving 56mph slip streaming lorries all the way kent to west midlands (190 miles)

the small 1.0L turbos are great for manufacturers for there average emmissions across the range but real world not that great, take an octavia with the engine for a drive and if you can do a back to back with a 1.2TSi and make your mind up, reset the trip computers try and drive the same route and compare the results

The new Turbo Petrols are very sensitive to the amount of revs and boost used. Good economy is available but you have to drive accordingly.

Our Passat 2.0TDi you can take out on the road and as long as it's clear I can tell you within 2 or 3 mpg what it will do. The Octavia 1.2TSi I can drive over to my Parents (mainly town/bypass) and can get 60mpg driving very economically or 35mpg if I hit every traffic light and do heavy starts.

But generally the Octavia TSi is more economical than the Passat TDi in all driving situations below 70mph. Around town and just driver the Octavia can be up to 10mpg more economical. Fully laden at 80mph the Passat can be up to 10mpg better than the Octavia.

As our Yeti will be mainly used around town and on short runs we decided on TSi not only for the above reasons but due to DPF worries as well.

Lee

Many Skoda Octavia do sit in towns, at Taxi Ranks with engines running.

Euro 5 & Euro 6 Emission Diesels messed that up for many that used Diesels for profitability when working as a taxi.

Many passenger car owners need family cars big enough for their needs, but do not necessarily do many trips loaded and on Motorways,

and if they do they can do it with enough pace to keep up with all the other traffic in the UK.

Most of the time passenger cars are maybe only needing 60 BHP anyway, even less in cities, 

and only under load and acceleration is the torque / power demand near the 100bhp plus.

Many Skoda Octavia do sit in towns, at Taxi Ranks with engines running.

Euro 5 & Euro 6 Emission Diesels messed that up for many that used Diesels for profitability when working as a taxi.

Many passenger car owners need family cars big enough for their needs, but do not necessarily do many trips loaded and on Motorways,

and if they do they can do it with enough pace to keep up with all the other traffic in the UK.

Most of the time passenger cars are maybe only needing 60 BHP anyway, even less in cities, 

and only under load and acceleration is the torque / power demand near the 100bhp plus.

I know too many people who have been stung with big DPF bills or the inconvenience of dealer visits in warranty to risk a DPF on anything other than a long distance commuter. 

The Octavia 1.2TSi is fine on the motorway even at 80mph+, the gearing (30mph/1000rpm) is about spot on, it's still refined, quite and doesn't need downshifts. It's just economy suffers compared to a bigger TDi.

Someone early mentioned the Sierra. I had five Sierra's one of which was a 2.3V6 petrol. Performance for the day was excellent and a major step up from the reps 1.6/1.8's

It had 113bhp and 175NM of torque. The torque peaked at 3000rpm but you'd be lucky to have 60% of that below 2000rpm.

The newer 1.2TSi with 110PS and 175NM between 1400-4000rpm

Size wise how things have grown. 

Sierra 4.3M long 1.7M Wide. Octavia 4.65M long 1.8M wide.

Economy wise the Sierra was low 20's and the Octavia high 40's/low 50's.

The other Sierra's I had were 1.8, 2.0, 2.9 4x4, and 2.0T Cosworth.

Lee 

Edited by logiclee

That's why there's a choice. :)

I have TDi and TSi saloons sat on the drive, the diesel is actually a lot more powerful but in any situation bar motorways I'd take the TSi.

Lee

I like choice - see my avatar! :)

Our 1.2 triple is simply a quiet diesel .....exactly the same torque curve as my 1.6 diesel

But

With petrol performance

Yes, but I didn't want a petrol engine in my Yeti!

This will probably be my last diesel as I'm ònly about 3 years off full retirement. I won't be doing a 20 mile commute each way then so that will effectively rule out another diesel.

As I've said I like the diesel characteristics and sound in the Yeti, they go with the look and type of vehicle that the Yeti is in my book.

When I next change I will be considering the new Yeti and with its expected more modern (less utilitarian) look in common with most other similar vehicles I won't be so precious about a diesel.

My usage then and the increasing complexity of diesels and potential issues will probably mean a petrol or hybrid etc.

The TT currently gives me my petrol engine fix - its 2.0 tfsi engine with 211PS is a gem.

^^^ yes, horses for courses.

Out here, Nissan replaced their big Patrol diesel with a V8 petrol which was staggeringly stupid because nobody wants that sort of engine in such an outback towing type vehicle......truly dumb!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been checking the other VAG brands and just about everything else has changed to the 1.0 engine including Ibiza and Octavia. I think it is now just smaller Skodas getting this engine.

I spoke to a salesman and he thought the 1.2 wont be around much longer. He said traditionally Skoda shut their factories last week of July and about first 10 days of Aug for summer and always retool part of it during the break. He suspected the 1.2 might be discontinued during the summer shutdown. He referred to it as week 35 changes, (a term I hadn't heard of unlike week 22 changes) which he half heartedly joked they will discover 2 weeks after, when an order is rejected as specs have changed.

As engines are made at a seperate site, my guess is there will be limited number of 1.2s to use up stock so deliveries from late Sept might become the new 1.0. But I might be wrong and they keep production of 1.2 going for bit longer.

I have noticed the cheap lease deals on 1.2 petrols that ran in second quarter to 30 June seem to have all vanished, so maybe something is about to happen. Although not great indicator as prices might just be slow to be replaced.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

I have been checking the other VAG brands and just about everything else has changed to the 1.0 engine including Ibiza and Octavia. I think it is now just smaller Skodas getting this engine.

I spoke to a salesman and he thought the 1.2 wont be around much longer. ..

Looks like the 1.2TSi 110 will be a very short-lived engine! With 20% more capacity I'd be happy with it being updated to match the 1.0's efficiency - e.g. say 130PS, 210Nm... which would probably be a sweet spot for a Yeti!

Looks like the 1.2TSi 110 will be a very short-lived engine! With 20% more capacity I'd be happy with it being updated to match the 1.0's efficiency - e.g. say 130PS, 210Nm... which would probably be a sweet spot for a Yeti!

Problem is the 3 cylinder will always be more efficient with less friction and inertia and with some manufacturers already offering 165PS 1.0 triples VAG are already way behind with their 115PS engine.

Lee

• Like 1

I'm not all that interested in the ps , more the nm/revs.

Ford's 165PS upgrade offered through the dealer network for the 125 and 140PS varients offers 245nm @ 2500rpm but "Over" 200nm is available 1500 to 4600rpm

Lee

Ford's 165PS upgrade offered through the dealer network for the 125 and 140PS varients offers 245nm @ 2500rpm but "Over" 200nm is available 1500 to 4600rpm

Lee

What's the standard ps/torque and how do the dealers uprate it?.

What's the standard ps/torque and how do the dealers uprate it?.

The most powerful 1.0 Ecoboost from the factory is 140PS and 210NM 1400-4500rpm.

The 165PS upgrade consists of bigger intercooler, hoses, induction kit and remap. Available at certain Ford dealers in the UK

Lee