Looking into a vrs tsi dsg

Hi all hope your well.

Basically the octavia has recently grabbed my attention especially being in the vrs guise. I have a budget of circa 24k after part ex.need a bigger car as the family is growing.

Would be looking at a tsi dsg would prefer a 230 though would happily settle for a 220 both would be a massive power increase from my current car (mazda 3 1.6 sport nav). So the few questions I have are...

What problems have you encountered with your tsi vrs?

How do you rate it? Does it meet your expectations.?

Estate or hatch? I know this is personal taste.

How have skoda dealerships dealt with you?

Appreciate your time and input.

G.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

My new 230 , when it arrives, will be my 4th Octavia Vrs. I've had a Petrol DSG, my current one is a MKIII Tdi but the 230 will be a Manual Tsi

Can't wait

Nice one mate. How do you rate the dsg box? The reasons that I want dsg is that I do alot of town driving and also fancied a change from manual. Thanks.

G.

The DSG box is sweet but I don't think it justifys the extra cost.  Think it also suits the petrol better than the diesel.

Have you tried the DGS, try and get a test drive, perhaps not in a Vrs but it might give you an Idea.

Go for a 230 if you can the extra spec for the cost is a no brainer and you get the fancy diff

Problems:  Front door seals retaining water, starter motor still spins for a couple of seconds after start up (dealer 'unable to replicate'), sound activator causes a resonation/vibration somewhere inside the dash (dealer 'unable to replicate'), OSF suspension creak on extension (dealer 'unable to replicate'), rust on the rear tailgate, latch on overhead sunglasses holder failed.

I really like it as a car.  Meets what I wanted and expected.  It's good to drive - I'll have it mapped after the warranty expires.  Happy to keep it, although very tempted with changing to a Golf R.

Estate - lines are better.

Dealership have been fine, all told.  More than I can say for Skoda UK  :thumbdown:

The six speed wet DSG is a peach IMO and has been faultless.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI
  • Like 1

Problems: Front door seals retaining water, starter motor still spins for a couple of seconds after start up (dealer 'unable to replicate'), sound activator causes a resonation/vibration somewhere inside the dash (dealer 'unable to replicate'), OSF suspension creak on extension (dealer 'unable to replicate'), rust on the rear tailgate, latch on overhead sunglasses holder failed.

I really like it as a car. Meets what I wanted and expected. It's good to drive - I'll have it mapped after the warranty expires. Happy to keep it, although very tempted with changing to a Golf R.

Estate - lines are better.

Dealership have been fine, all told. More than I can say for Skoda UK [emoji107]

The six speed wet DSG is a peach IMO and has been faultless.

Gaz

Is the starter motor thing a common thing? As with the rust surely that'll be rectified by the dealer? Have the dealer offered a good service? Would you also recommend buying a skoda used approved? Or is it all a load bs? Cheers

The DSG box is sweet but I don't think it justifys the extra cost. Think it also suits the petrol better than the diesel.

Have you tried the DGS, try and get a test drive, perhaps not in a Vrs but it might give you an Idea.

Go for a 230 if you can the extra spec for the cost is a no brainer and you get the fancy diff

I've tried dsg many moons ago in a friends gold gti. Though only in auto mode not the manual mode (paddles)

Is the starter motor thing a common thing? As with the rust surely that'll be rectified by the dealer? Have the dealer offered a good service? Would you also recommend buying a skoda used approved? Or is it all a load bs? Cheers

I've read somewhere of another similar starter issue which was fixed via software.  Mine just spins, it's not engaged, so is not particularly serious.  The rust has been sorted and is hopefully just a one-off.  The dealership staff are nice enough and I've no concerns over service, but they do seem at the mercy of Skoda UK.  I'd never trust any 'approved' or multi-point checks - they're all too fallible and I've seen it too many times.  Take the car you're looking at at face value, scrutinise it, have it inspected/HPI'd and don't accept anything that doesn't seem right, just walk away.  Caveat emptor.

Gaz

• Like 1

I've read somewhere of another similar starter issue which was fixed via software. Mine just spins, it's not engaged, so is not particularly serious. The rust has been sorted and is hopefully just a one-off. The dealership staff are nice enough and I've no concerns over service, but they do seem at the mercy of Skoda UK. I'd never trust any 'approved' or multi-point checks - they're all too fallible and I've seen it too many times. Take the car you're looking at at face value, scrutinise it, have it inspected/HPI'd and don't accept anything that doesn't seem right, just walk away. Caveat emptor.

Gaz

That seems some sound advice. Do you have manual or dsg? Appreciate your input and time.

That seems some sound advice. Do you have manual or dsg? Appreciate your input and time.

Ignore that just clocked that you got dsg. Cheers