Tightened up the handling

I always felt that the VRS did not perform in the handling department as well as it should. Maybe I just wanted it to get closer to the handling performance of a previous car I owned, the Civic Type R. I feel after a couple of modifications it is a lot closer now. Yesterday I had the standard bushes in the front wishbones replaced with Superpro poly bushes. At the same time the standard shocks were replaced with Bilstein B8 all round. I kept the standard springs as the car has only done 50k miles, so thought they should be okay. A bit of expense but well worth it. It certainly feels a lot tighter going into bends and the car does not lean into corners, but stays far more level. As others who have done something similar to their cars, very pleased with the results. Even fitted the later badges all round that evening, just to treat the car a bit more. They in my opinion, look far better than the original Skoda badges. Better not tell the missus how much it all cost!!

• Like 1

Ah, I remember being a boy racer when I was young & stupid. :D

I of course also remember being young and stupid, but I think you might have made an assumption there me old mate. I am a self employed advanced driver trainer and I certainly can't call myself young, not at 63years old. Mind you, I am not your typical old driver, as my brain is not dead yet. I do like a car that goes well, handles and I can still enjoy the drive where safe to do so.  I have my "young" driving moments where risk is low and my ability stays ahead of the car, not lagging behind as it used to all those years ago. Of course in an emergency situation where a quick change of direction is necessary, isn't it advantageous to have a vehicle that obeys some positive driver input! The standard VRS is okay in the handling department, I just felt it could easily be so much better. Happy motoring my friend, but don't get old before your time.

• Like 1

I always felt that the VRS did not perform in the handling department as well as it should. Maybe I just wanted it to get closer to the handling performance of a previous car I owned, the Civic Type R. I feel after a couple of modifications it is a lot closer now. Yesterday I had the standard bushes in the front wishbones replaced with Superpro poly bushes. At the same time the standard shocks were replaced with Bilstein B8 all round. I kept the standard springs as the car has only done 50k miles, so thought they should be okay. A bit of expense but well worth it. It certainly feels a lot tighter going into bends and the car does not lean into corners, but stays far more level. As others who have done something similar to their cars, very pleased with the results. Even fitted the later badges all round that evening, just to treat the car a bit more. They in my opinion, look far better than the original Skoda badges. Better not tell the missus how much it all cost!!

My 07 plate vrs 58k has the original console bushes in I found some meyle heavy duty bushes with 4 yr guarantee they look stiffer as they only have two voids in rather than four do you get any more Road noise with your polyurethane bushes?

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Hi christophVRS.

No extra road noise I can notice. Of course, with the poly bushes and the better handling stiffer gas shocks, you do feel the bumps in the road a bit more. Worth it though, as the handling is so much better.   

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon.

I have already changed the lower control arm bushes for 2-void Febi ones - but was looking the front bushes a few days ago and they look rather sad and worn at 118K miles.

How easy/difficult is it to change those - either for just OEM replacements or for poly bushes (road spec - not really hard ones!)?

Thanks in advance. 

John

See also this post from last year about the rear console bushes - Brad 18.T gives a lot of info and my post No 16 gives the FEBI p/n's for the 2-void console bushes.

Edited by jeallen01

I fitted the Bilstein B12 kit with Eibach Pro springs and front SuperPro polybush anti roll bar bushes. The car has been lowered some 15-20mm and the handling is an obvious improvement, if not a little bumpy being stiffer but not annoyingly so.

Edited by billywhiz040480

jeallen01, on 21 Jul 2016 - 16:13, said:jeallen01, on 21 Jul 2016 - 16:13, said:

Afternoon.

I have already changed the lower control arm bushes for 2-void Febi ones - but was looking the front bushes a few days ago and they look rather sad and worn at 118K miles.

How easy/difficult is it to change those - either for just OEM replacements or for poly bushes (road spec - not really hard ones!)?

Thanks in advance. 

John

Has anyone tried these PSB 160F poly bushes?

PS: don't want really hard poly bushes - just something between the standard ones and the Powerflex type (which were a bit too hard on the old Golf Estate)

Edited by jeallen01