After Market Sunroof Fabia 3 Estate

Our Fabia 2 Monte Carlo Estate is fitted with a factory fitted sun roof, a factory sun roof is not available

for the Fabia 3 Estate.

Has anybody had an after market sun roof fitted to a Fabia 3 Estate or Hatch, if so please

advise as to brand fitted, which company & cost?

(I'm not interested in non-opening panoramic roofs)

Keith

Edited by keithw

It will be interesting to see if anyone can offer anything, I thought the days of aftermarket sun-roof fitting were long gone! Does a Google search not reveal anything?

The weak spot with aftermarket ones was always the rubber seal that often ended leaking a few years down the road. Not a problem if you only have the car for a few years however if it is a keeper........

Regards Bob

The roof is an very integral part of the structural integrity of the car, especially in a roll over crash.

Not sure how much cutting a chunk out of the roof would affect that, and also what it would do for your insurance.

Thank you both for the replies.

I've just checked the Webasto website, seemingly no Skoda can be fitted with a Webasto

sunroof.

That completely rules out a Fabia 3.  Unless I can find an alternative reputable sun roof supplier.

Keith

It will be interesting to see if anyone can offer anything, I thought the days of aftermarket sun-roof fitting were long gone! Does a Google search not reveal anything?

The weak spot with aftermarket ones was always the rubber seal that often ended leaking a few years down the road. Not a problem if you only have the car for a few years however if it is a keeper........

Regards Bob

Sun roofs in general are old hat, even more basic cars used to have them but now they have probably realised its cheaper not to have them and people don't seem to miss them. It was a good way of circulating some air before the days of air con but is now redundant in most cases

Thank you both for the replies.

I've just checked the Webasto website, seemingly no Skoda can be fitted with a Webasto

sunroof.

That completely rules out a Fabia 3. Unless I can find an alternative reputable sun roof supplier.

Keith

Keith, where are you from? Cause in the UK the sunroof is available on the estate on everything apart from the S trim and is standard on the Monte Carlo. It does not open, but does provide all the light.

Hope this helps. :)

Keith, where are you from? Cause in the UK the sunroof is available on the estate on everything apart from the S trim and is standard on the Monte Carlo. It does not open, but does provide all the light.

Hope this helps. :)

Did say he didn't want a non-opening pano roof.

The roof is an very integral part of the structural integrity of the car, especially in a roll over crash.

Not sure how much cutting a chunk out of the roof would affect that, and also what it would do for your insurance.

The roof skin isn't particularly structural. There are braces on the front and rear and side. Often there is another brace running from b post to b post but that's mainly to stop the roof skin bowing in.

As Techie said the roof isn't structural. If it was then no car would have a sun roof at all would they? But I still don't know why you would want a sunroof, all they are is a piece of glass that 99.99% of the time is closed and covered up with a risk of leaking and is something to avoid when polishing.

From the depths of the grey cells.....in days of yore, when aircon was almost unheard of, even in the "better" makes and windows were activated by winding handles, (just like the rears on my Fabia - which bothers me not), it was acknowledged that fitting a good sunroof would actually add rigidity to a car body.

Would I want one now? Not if it was a cost option. However, pano roof and climate control is a lovely combination.

An opening sunroof is invaluable if your dogs travel with you. It can be left on tilt and little or no rain gets in. Obviously you don't leave dogs in cars in the summer, but even when stopping for fuel it's more comfortable for them and when they're out an open sun roof can air the car to reduced any smell of wet dogs.