Upgrade from 16inch to 17 inch wheels

Hi. Sorry if this is posted before but am getting so much conflicting info on the net its giving me a headache.

I have 16inch wheels on my skoda octavia 1.4tsi 2011 model. I would like to fit 17 inch wheels but need to know what ones fit.

I gather i will need

pcd of 112 x 5

17inch wheel

Offset ??????

Rim width ?????

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dom

Thank you very much for your help guys its been really helpful.

I like the ones you put the link too and also have been offered some from a vw transporter but he is unsure of the fitting.

Many thanks again.

Dom

Thank you very much for your help guys its been really helpful.

I like the ones you put the link too and also have been offered some from a vw transporter but he is unsure of the fitting.

Many thanks again.

Dom

I looked at so many different wheels before getting my 18" Zeniths.  Like you I considered all sorts of different options including those on ebay that had come from other VAG vehicles, including transporters.  In the end though I went for wheels that had come from another Octavia as I figured they were ready to go straight on the car, didn't need spigot rings and would definitely fit.  

Another thing i noticed when looking at different wheels is that even if the rims fitted correctly, the tyres would have needed to be replaced as they were normally the wrong size.  Once I had factored in the cost of replacement tyres they became an expensive second hand set of wheels.  

• Like 1

Will affect your ride

True.  It depends on the kind of ride you prefer as to whether you see this as a good or negative thing.  I love the ride on the 17" wheels in terms of wafting along on those massive sidewalls, ironing out imperfections on the road.  However, to me it makes the car feel a bit more disconnected from what's going on and I prefer the ride on the 18" wheels.  My last car was on 19" rims with a 35 profile on 235 section tyres and even that was okay to drive.  

It's all down to personal choice I suppose.  For some people how a car looks is of little importance and they don't mind small wheels with a big sidewall.  I'm a bit vain and also consider how a car looks as well as how it feels to drive.  For me, a balance between looks and practicality would be either the 17" or 18" wheels on the Octavia.  I considered 19" rims but having looked at pics on Google, they are just a step too far for my tastes. 

But you are right, it will affect how the car feels to drive. :thumbup:

Hi. Sorry if this is posted before but am getting so much conflicting info on the net its giving me a headache.

I have 16inch wheels on my skoda octavia 1.4tsi 2011 model. I would like to fit 17 inch wheels but need to know what ones fit.

I gather i will need

pcd of 112 x 5

17inch wheel

Offset ??????

Rim width ?????

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dom

17x7 or 17x7.5  is OEM.  ET around the 45-50 mark

centrebore of 57.1mm

Personally, I'd go with 7.5 et45

recomend you fit 235/45r17 rather than the factory 225/45r17.  Better ride, taller sidewall makes the speedometer more accurate, taller / baggier sidewall gives more rim protection.

Thanks. I have a set of wheels from my older audi which are 17 x 7.5 et45 which i didnt think would fit but would look nice on them.

Might give that a go but also tempted by these other wheels for sale.

And again thanks to everyone for their input. Once the wheels are sorted i will be looking at dlr's then maybe a few other subtle changes to improve the look of the car.

OEM wheels are heavy. They weight over 14kg...I've got ATS and they are 8kg each...at least I was told so :-D

Don't worry about spec, it rarely makes any sense...go somewhere and try. Mine is ET45 and has more space for calliper than ET50+...it is all about design and you have to try in shop or so

Edited by sniper29a

17x7 or 17x7.5  is OEM.  ET around the 45-50 mark

centrebore of 57.1mm

Personally, I'd go with 7.5 et45

recomend you fit 235/45r17 rather than the factory 225/45r17.  Better ride, taller sidewall makes the speedometer more accurate, taller / baggier sidewall gives more rim protection.

I've got 225/45 R17 and sport tires...they have all what you've written...get as high speed index as possible and never worry about tire deformation due lateral forces during hard cornering

OEM wheels are heavy. They weight over 14kg...I've got ATS and they are 8kg each...at least I was told so :-D

Don't worry about spec, it rarely makes any sense...go somewhere and try. Mine is ET45 and has more space for calliper than ET50+...it is all about design and you have to try in shop or so

While I agree quality, lightweight aftermarket wheels are very good, the OEM stuff isn't as heavy as you imply in the smaller diameters.

An OEM Octavia 16x6.5 ET50 alloy weighs 9kg (8.7kg for a 2007 fitment if you really want to be precise). 

A 205/55r16 Continental CSC2 weighs 8.6kg (most other makes are a fraction heavier as the CSC2 has one less ply in the sidewall).

If you want really light the factory steel spare is even lighter.

An OEM Audi A4 16x7.5 rim weighs 10kg.

A Michelin Primacy 225/55r16 is 10kg.

Audi A4 17x7.5 come in at 12kg

The average 225/45r17 weighs 11kg (give or take 500gms depending on construction & tread depth)

Audi S3 18x7.5 with 225/40r18 come in around 24.5kg

I think the lightest wheel I ever had on the Octy was 17x8 ET35 BBS RC at 7.1kg.  Great wheel but the ET was too "pokey"

I think the lightest wheel I ever had on the Octy was 17x8 ET35 BBS RC at 7.1kg.  Great wheel but the ET was too "pokey"

We're running the Ignis on 15" OZ Superleggera wheels.  They weigh 4.9kg each and it's amazing how much of a difference the weight of a wheel can affect a car.  I had some original Renault Turbines on it beforehand and they were great looking but hobbled the car in terms of handling and acceleration.  The difference was very noticeable on such a lightweight car, whereas on a heavier car with a lot more power it's not.  The Vectra VXR's 19" wheels were 25kg each with a tyre on and I nearly did my back in lifting them into place.  It didn't affect things too much though and the car still performed pretty well.  Having said that, I fitted some 19" TD Imolas after a while.  These were about 3.5kg lighter per wheel and it did feel as if the car was a bit more sprightly.

The OEM 17" Zeniths on my Octavia are fine in comparison and even though I haven't weighed one, they are much lighter than I expected them to be.

Edited by skinnyman

If I didn't have a problem with brake system overheating, I would keep steel ones because they are most likely the lightest

Unfortunately, steel winter rims act as thermal shield. Combined with "dust" cover. You have deadly combination and there is result of my testing.

Light alloy wheels + no "dust" cover on breaks = 200 deg C lower temps...a difference between life and death on Alpine roads

Edited by sniper29a