Lightest 18" wheels

I've got a vRS230 on order but I'm really not taken with the gloss-black 19"s, and apparently I can't downgrade to 18"s.  Add to which I've got a long commute including some awful town roads, so if I can increase sidewall height and reduce unsprung weight I'll be making life a lot more comfortable...

I can't sell them as it's a lease car, but I am sorely tempted to dump the 19"s in the garage and buy some 18"s instead.  Would like to stick with OEM wheels if possible, so was wondering if anyone had any data on which wheels were the lightest?

Thanks,

Martin.

Don't forget - you'll have to change the wheel bolts as well if you use non original alloys; VAG cars all use radius seat bolts whereas most after market alloys use tapered (cone) seat bolts. Explained at http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?158739-Wheel-Bolts-Radius-or-Tapered-Whats-the-differnce

• Like 1

Pretty much all oem 18's will be about the same weight - iirc the Neptune on my mk2 were about 13kg.

I ran neuspeed rse07 on that car - 9kg each and looked oem (and reused the oem radius bolts).

Bert - yup, thanks (wife has had a MkV GTi and now a Mk7 Golf R)

Liking the revo and neuspeed (esp in the anthracite) ...given the weight-saving vs OE, I may have to keep my eyes open for a 2nd hand set of non-OEM then...fair 'nuff...

I've got a vRS230 on order but I'm really not taken with the gloss-black 19"s, and apparently I can't downgrade to 18"s. Add to which I've got a long commute including some awful town roads, so if I can increase sidewall height and reduce unsprung weight I'll be making life a lot more comfortable...

I can't sell them as it's a lease car, but I am sorely tempted to dump the 19"s in the garage and buy some 18"s instead. Would like to stick with OEM wheels if possible, so was wondering if anyone had any data on which wheels were the lightest?

Thanks,

Martin.

Would you wanna swap, gloss black for the antheracite ones? I have the 19's but would love the gloss black version.

If I owned the car I'd bite your hand off, but it's a lease so in 2 years it needs to go back with the original alloys...sorry!

I may yet try contacting the factory, see if they'll see sense and fit it with some nice 18"s...

• Like 1

From reading this post is it really just around 16kg total difference ?

Would you not make just as much difference having a really good sh.. and cleaning out all your CDs and other crap from the car instead ?

Makes sense for style change if you want it, but that kind of weight saving on such a porker ?

A bit like Adele worrying about the impact of a diet breakfast bar.

Just to add, if you were going on a serious weight loss programme, it would of course make sense, but I'm think interior out, carbon front seats and no rears, etc etc etc. So far be it from me to counteract your plan ideas, I just think it would only make sense as part of a bigger plan is all.

I can see where the OP is coming from

It is more about the extra half inch of rubber and while he is about it then why not get some benefit from lighter wheels.

As a cyclist the easiest way to upgrade a bike was to put lighter wheels/ tyres on. A gram off the wheels was worth four off the frame.

Not saying you would get that performance return on a car but the suspension would also work better with the lower inertia.

Ant - the weight saving on the wheels is all "unsprung" weight so makes a massive difference to the performance - much more than just taking 16k out of the boot for instance.

Acceleration, braking and ride all benefit from reduced wheel mass.

With the neuspeeds on my mk2 drove like it had another 20hp.

Gerrycan and Rob have answered for me - it's the unsprung weight, as much as the sidewall compliance.  My FD2 actually handles slightly better (if you ignore a little loss-of-immediacy from the wheel) on the 17" winters than on the 18" summers.  Both sets of wheels are OEM - 17"s are DC5 ITR, 18"s are OE on the FD2 Civic, but you can feel the weight difference when swapping them around. 

...and the Civic's 18"s are substantially lighter than the wife's 18" Mk7 Golf-R wheels, which I'd expect to be a benchmark for Skoda 18"s...

HavocUK, I notice that no one has answered your question about the relative weight of OEM 18 inch alloys, probably because Skoda do not appear to publish that info.

My impression from looking at various Golf and Octavia OEM wheels on the street is that they are all (whatever size) relatively sturdy and not particularly light.

Going from OEM 19 inch to 18 inch will save a kg (maybe two) a wheel but for real weight savings then you are up for some pricey forged alloy or magnesium units as others have already suggested.

An alternative maybe to look for second hand Audi 18 inch wheels. As you would expect from the brand they seem to be better quality and possibly offer some additional weight saving at a reasonable price.

My basic 1.4tsi has 17 inch alloys and the 16 inch steel spacesaver spare tyre is actually an optional standard size for the vehicle. What is interesting is that the steel wheel/tyre combination is about 6 kg lighter than the 17 inch alloy/tyre combination. Mark you when I had to use the spare I found it to be an incredibly noisy tyre at all speeds and a great relief when the flat was repaired and put back on.

Thanks Gerrycan...not entirely surprised that Skoda don't quote weights...despite the vRS sub-market they're not currently striking me as a particularly driver-focused brand.

Liking some of the suggestions above and on the aftermarket alloys thread...maybe I ditch the "keep it OEM" idea completely and get some good, lightweight 2nd hand rims...only got the car for 2 years, after all...