First big journey in the Octavia!

Hey! I've had my VRS TSI for a few months now, hit 3k miles on the way down here. Ive driven from Cumbria to Kent, around 420 miles which is the most Ive driven any car since crossing from San Francisco to Vegas last year. In contrast to my previous cars I've got no headache, back ache or exhaustion. I am actually really impressed at how well it did on the fuel and how easily it ate the miles. I'm a happy owner right now and will be happier when the bridgestone wear out as well!

Edited by ExSEAT
  • Like 2

good news! i have just done a big old trip in mine as well and equally really pleased - travelled from the Northeast of England to Paris and back with no issue at all with regards to comfort. Car was fully loaded with all our holiday gear so the massive boot space was also beneficial. All in all was a real pleasure to drive and covered well over a 1000 miles over a few days, handy that the sat nav picks up on variable speeds on french roads etc couple of points that did bother me:

• lack of spare wheel - didn't really think this through when i ordered the car but it did play on my mind that it would be just my luck to get a flat tyre whilst overseas and the mess on of trying to find a tyre place etc.
  • The huge stone chip that I now have in my windscreen courtesy of some bloke who decided the temporary speed limit on freshly dug up road didn't apply to him :devil:
Edited by anthmcm

You might be waiting a while, Bridgestones seem to last a while from previous experience with them. How did you get on MPG wise for the trip?

Ive just got back. Over the 800 ish miles it was at 45mpg average but I did give it a bit of stick the last 30 miles. Very pleased overall just hating the bridgestones to the point I might throw them out early.

I had them on my leon FR from new too so Ive covered nearly 16000 miles on these type of tyres, so hopefully you dont think im jumping to conclusions!

The noise is bad, theres no getting away from that. On top of that their wet grip is pretty shoddy, I live in the lake district so wet driving is probably about 75% of my driving. From experience their performance goes off very quickly as they wear and the noise gets worse. Lastly, my last 6 miles last night were on twisty back roads, just keeping normal pace the bridgestones just had a vague squidgy feeling like they were constantly squirming and if I was pressing on they didnt seem to cope well.

I dont drive like that a lot but dont need for my tyres to spoil it when I do. I need to remember that the exact same tyres on my 1.4 leon used to light up the dashboard and have the tcs going crazy when accelerating in anything beyond bone dry conditions. The tramping used to be hell going uphill!

Not at all, apologies if it sounded like i was asking a loaded question.

I have never really paid attention on tyre brand before if I am honest I have always just stuck with whatever was on the car when I got it. However have noticed they are a marmite tyre on this forum so good to undertsand what the issues are with them.

I have only covered 13k on mine so far and no issues as of yet - but will be interesting to see how I get on with them as they start to wear off. 

• Like 1

Not at all Ant I just wanted to be clear on where I was coming from!! The fronts on my FR were almost dead at 12k so yours are doing well, maybe its just me!?

Ive checked the wear on mine after 3.5k and they are like brand new. I genuinely dont need long lasting tyres so this tells me I could use something stickier. Im also an ex biker so im very particular about my tyres!

I specced a spare by the way, as Im on PCP it cost me an extra £2.50 a month so it was a no brainer :)

• Like 1

TBH the 13k mine have covered has mainly been motorway miles, having said that they seem to have plenty of life left in them yet.

yep lesson learnt next time i will add the spare :D  

Ive just got back. Over the 800 ish miles it was at 45mpg average but I did give it a bit of stick the last 30 miles. Very pleased overall just hating the bridgestones to the point I might throw them out early.

Is that the S001? I have them on my Superb combi and they are so noisy! Compared to the GY F1A2 on my old twindoor they are unbearable.

Dry grip is good and wet reasonable. However, they were new when I got the car so still got lots of tread unfortunately!

Is that the S001? I have them on my Superb combi and they are so noisy! Compared to the GY F1A2 on my old twindoor they are unbearable.

Dry grip is good and wet reasonable. However, they were new when I got the car so still got lots of tread unfortunately!

Yeah mate I think its the S0001, absolutely hateful tyres to say the least!

I don't understand how they've won awards against the GY, Michelin, Dunlop's or even Hankooks!

You think **any** of these "award" ceremonies don't involve transactions via used notes in brown envelopes?

"Consultancy Fees" we used to describe them as, back in the day.

Maybe my expectations are too high. I just know that back in the days of my Ibiza cupra (circa 2004) I could buy a mid range tyre and it would turn out to be sticky and quiet and a good all rounder. These days it seems like hit and miss and opinion.