2012 Elegance Wagon - boot lock releases randomly or when bumped

I have a 2012 Elegance wagon, and am having issues with the boot lock.  

I bought it 2nd hand August last year.  A few months later, my wife mentioned the open door indicator on the dash would flash up randomly, and when you get out & pull up on the boot (not using the boot release button), the boot will open up.

At least 50% of the time, when you close the boot normally, you hear (what I assume is) the electronic lock solinoid whir in and out, like its tried to secure the lock in place, then releases immediately after.  You can then pull the boot up without using the release button.

As well as randomly opening, it often happens when you roll over a speed bump, or when the car is stationary & turned off, and you shut one of the other doors firmly.

Usually if you slam the boot down, it will stay in place, but it might take 2 or 3 slams, and its not guaranteed it will stay properly closed for the duration of the trip.

The only way we've found to prevent the random opening, is to slam it & immediately press the central locking, which disables the solinoid I assume.

But to make matters worse, in the last week or so, my wife has been unable to open the boot at all, using the release button or  the key fob.  She's tried starting & turning off the car, continually pressing the button, etc, then maybe 2-5 minutes later it will open when pressing buttons etc.  

A Skoda workshop have replaced the lock mechanism, and now the release button mechanism, but the problem continues (in fact the new issue of being able to unlock the boot has started since the 2nd visit back...perhaps just coincidental)

If anything, the overall issue seems to occur less frequently, but the inability to unlock the boot sometimes is a bigger problem. They suggested the next step would be to look at the computer controling the locks.

Skoda Australia are willing to inspect and possibly help me with a warranty claim despite it being nearly 1 year out of warranty. Just wondering  if anyone can shed some light on this before I go down that path.

It sounds like a bad connection - I wonder if the insulation has worn off the signal wire from the release button so it's grounding to the car body somewhere. I'd have a look at the wires where they cross the boot hinge.

Has the BCM been scanned for fault codes? It'll point you towards the location/nature of the problem.

Psycholist's suggestion of checking for damaged wiring is worth a look. I'd also check for bad grounds - I'm not aware of it being an issue on the Superb, but VAG electrical problems historically have often been due to poor grounding.

I've got it booked in with a Skoda dealer on Monday, so hopefully it something simple, like a wiring issue, and not an expensive computer module needing replacement!.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it sorted in the end. They replaced the lock mechanism and button relase at the dealer also, and adjusted the lock pin on the bumper section and several rubber pads that cusion the tailgate as it comes down. I suspect the alignment of the lock pin was the issue, leaving the lock under pressure when closed, and prone to unlock when external movement from speed humps and closing doors was detected.

• Like 1