Newcomer from Sweden...

Thank´s for the welcoming guys!

Sandervdw asked about the prices for Volvo´s here in Sweden and here is a little bit of info about that.

Generally a new Volvo is reasonably priced but the options are ridicously expensive.

At the end of the life time for almost every Volvo model there is a "Classic Edition" launched and that´s when you get

all the goodies for free, or at least or for an acceptable sum of money.

This is a comparison of what you, in Sweden, get for the same amount of money, choosing between a Superb Estate and a V90 

Volvo V90 D3 (150hp) Kinetic Business 6-speed auto.

17" alloys, semi leather upholstery, Climate-pack= Heated rear seat, heated steering wheel, programable heater and heated washer nozzles.
LED-pack= fog and cornering lamps. The Kinetic version is the lowest spec there is and it comes with no nice interior trim what so ever. All black plastic....

The Volvo comes with all the latest safety gadgets for free. For example; lane keeping aid, large animal detection, blind spot information and so on, and that´s

a plus of course.

Skoda Superb Estate Tdi (190hp) L&K 6-speed DSG.

All the luxury equipment in the L&K spec plus following options:

19" alloys, towing-pack, panoramic sunroof, amundsen, travel assist, heated rear seat and rear seat pack.

I could have got myself a well equiped V70 or XC70 Classic for the same price but there are only produced cars left, leaving no choice for colour, upholstery or

rims etc. Besides that i have had a 2008 and a 2011 V70 and my recent car is a 2014 XC70 so i´m getting slightly bored with this model. It also feels a little bit old now...

Have a nice evening!

• Like 1

I was also considering v90 as an option to change my current SII Combi, but skipped it due to price and also boot is smaller than v70. Also some of xc90 owners complain about reliability, having in mind that v90 is completely new model it might be the same issue.

I've had V70 D5 Polestar before SII - that was nice engine, but unfortunately steering had no road feel whatsover and that spoiled all the fun.

Now I have short list of two options SIII 190 HP diesel or Passat B8 R-line with the same engine. Have no idea how to make my mind :-)

Hello LS108,

I'd go for the Superb!☺

The Passat is not half as exclusive and edgy in my opinion.

If you drive a Passat here in Sweden you will meet yourself in every corner...

Edited by NicSwede
  • Like 1

Same here in Lithuania. Driving 100 km distance between two biggest cities literally every 5th car is Passat. I have to admit the exterior of Passat looks a bit cheap to me, even in R-line trim (who thought of those fake exhaust holes in the bumper???).

Also I am 193 cm and space in the back of Passat is not that impressive comparing to Superb.

Welcome NicSwede :)

I too considered the V90 for about 30 minutes or so. Too expensive and I've had bad experiences with new Volvos (99 S80T6, spent 6 months in workshop out of the 32 months I had it. My 2002 XC90 D5 was returned to the dealer due to multiple problems).

My current Superb (MY17, 3 weeks old) is my second Superb. Very pleased with both cars, but the S3 is way better than my old 09 S2.

I'm sure you will be pleased with the car. Handles well on Swedish roads, comfortable, excellt gas milage (0.47L/10km (60 mpg for the britts) measured) and really good seats if you travel long distances as I suspect you do.

Mine is a manual 6 speed with 150HP and 4x4 and I can't wait to see how it performs during the winter in heavy snow and with studded tires.

For me, who pays for the car out of my own pocket, it's hard to find a car that brings more value for the money than the S3. Some of my friends drive the Passat and it's a nice car but a tad boring and way to common these days.

• Like 1

Hei, Niklas!

I had the same consideration as you - comparing a V90 with a Superb.

And same as for you, here in Norway the choice would be a totally stripped 150HP V90 vs a loaded 190HP Superb - it's ridiculous how expensive even pretty basic extras are on the Volvo.

So I'm also waiting for an L&K Estate to arrive in 9-10 weeks - magnetic brown with beige leather, sunroof, 19", + + +  :-)

I must admit that I like the looks of the V90 both on the outside and in the cabin, and the seats are probably (again) class leading, but I also find the new Superb very nice, much more refined than Passat for instance.

• Like 1

For me the problem with the 90-range from Volvo is that on every official picture that Volvo publish the cars are in

fully loaded "Inscription" spec. This means 20" alloys, metallic paint, sunroof, full leather interior, nice wooden or aluminium inserts and a lot of nice exterior chrome trim.

The same goes for the demo/press/showroom cars, and in this dress the car looks fantastic.

Then you realize that you have to pay half a million Swedish kronor, or more, to find THAT car in your garage every morning...... :no:

You can afford the car going for the "Kinetic" or maybe even the "Momentum" spec but that´s only if you order a car without any extras and honestly....How fun is that???

• Like 1

Hej Niklas

I drove Volvos exclusively for 38 years, all purchased second hand. My favourite was a 760 GLE Estate that I kept for 13 years! In my opinion there was a noticeable drop in reliability when Ford took over Volvo in the late 90s.  My two "Ford" Volvos were a 2004 S80 D5 auto and a 2008 V70 D5 auto. Both suffered from major mechanical faults - steering on both, and the air con on the V70.  In 2103 and at 70,000 miles the V70 developed a fault which Volvo couldn't fix, the cam belt had slipped.  I part exchanged the V70 for a Mark 2 Superb 170 DSG Elegance Estate and am now on my second Skoda, a Mark 3 Superb SE L190PS DSG Estate.  The Mark 3 Superbs are great cars and far cheaper to run than the big Volvos.  One thing I do miss however is the comfort of the Volvo seats - the best in the business!

Lycka Till!

For me the problem with the 90-range from Volvo is that on every official picture that Volvo publish the cars are in

fully loaded "Inscription" spec. This means 20" alloys, metallic paint, sunroof, full leather interior, nice wooden or aluminium inserts and a lot of nice exterior chrome trim.

The same goes for the demo/press/showroom cars, and in this dress the car looks fantastic.

Then you realize that you have to pay half a million Swedish kronor, or more, to find THAT car in your garage every morning...... :no:

You can afford the car going for the "Kinetic" or maybe even the "Momentum" spec but that´s only if you order a car without any extras and honestly....How fun is that???

Paid almost half a million for my SIII..

When I looked at a v90 it would cost about 700k to get the top of the line!

Paid almost half a million for my SIII..

When I looked at a v90 it would cost about 700k to get the top of the line!

Haft a million? How can your cost so much? Is not even accessories to get as high in price .

In Sweden, the TDI 190 and fully equip the price at most 400 000 SEK

Haft a million? How can your cost so much? Is not even accessories to get as high in price .

In Sweden, the TDI 190 and fully equip the price at most 400 000 SEK

Superb 2.0tsi wagon 280hp 4x4

Style cause i didn't want leader seats.

Panorama

Webasto

Headed front window

Extended warranty 5 years 150000km

Canton

Bolero

Double boot floor

Metallic pearl paint

Sportline black 19" rims

About every possible assist and electric device

19" rims for winter

Sunset and backseat package

List goes on and on

It was expensive to upgrade a style model to be more equipped than a L&K but I really wanted the black alcantara!

480 000:-

Superb 2.0tsi wagon 280hp 4x4

Style cause i didn't want leader seats.

Panorama

Webasto

Headed front window

Extended warranty 5 years 150000km

Canton

Bolero

Double boot floor

Metallic pearl paint

Sportline black 19" rims

About every possible assist and electric device

19" rims for winter

Sunset and backseat package

List goes on and on

It was expensive to upgrade a style model to be more equipped than a L&K but I really wanted the black alcantara!

480 000:-

No Columbus Nav?

• 1 month later...