Superb Combi - a lip of trim when rear seats are down?

Phily

Hi folks,

I've recently changed my wives car from a 2007 Audi A4 avant to a 2012 Superb Combi.  The boot/trunk is bigger which is great, but I've noticed to my surprise that when you drop the rear seats to enlarge the boot for lugging things around, there is an annoying lip from the boot to the rear cabin of the car. Better shown by a picture, but in my search for a picture I've noticed that there is a version of trim which doesn't have this lip? Is there another boot base you can get which has extra storage and raises the boot floor up so when the rear seats are down there is a seamless boot floor?

With lip when rear seats folded down;

with_lip.jpeg

Without lip when rear seats folded down;

without_lip.jpeg

Yes, to get a flat load level you need the variable boot floor (VBF) crazy idea IMO, whats the point of an estate without a flat load area, this was a must have when I ordered mine.

• Like 2

Yes, that's the variable boot floor or flat floor.  That would be fitted as a factory option however I understand (I'm open to correction) they can be retrofitted on SII for a few hundred or you might be able to pick up a kit online.

Edited by Superb170

Looking at the pictures of the two. Does it show that the "flat" floor is about two to three inches higher?

Thereby losing load height.

Edited by Danny 57

Yes, that's the variable boot floor or flat floor.  That would be fitted as a factory option however I understand (I'm open to correction) they can be retrofitted on SII for a few hundred or you might be able to pick up a kit online.

Looking at the pictures of the two. Does it show that the "flat" floor is about two to three inches higher?

Thereby losing load height.

Like Superb170 says, it's one of the Superb options that is fitted at the factory if requested.

The second boot floor picture you posted appears to be identical to my Elegance spec Superb in that I have the rails, closable load compartments as well as load bars, luggage retaining straps etc. Note that I don't have a variable boot floor though - so you cant rely on a particular trim level coming with it as standard.

As Danny 57 noticed - if the car has the variable load level option then you have less load height / volume by default. It should almost be called the "raised and level floor option" which has the ability to drop it when/if you need the full volume. Skoda refer to it as "a mid-level luggage compartment floor" in the Superb brochure (and rather cutely- they only mention it after they give the load volumes for the lower height floor!).

The floor of the car in the second pic you posted is higher then the floor in my car, even though I have the rail system - so the rails definitely aren't an indicator of the option either.

As for retrofit as per Superb170's suggestion - I have had a look in my car to see if anything immediate that would seem to prevent it. The doors for the storage sections on the right and left have been designed to open about 3 inches above my current floor level so i cant see that anything would be obstructed if you got a kit from Skoda or the required parts from a donor car. I have read that the Mark II Octavia can be retrofitted but the Mark III cant (different side panels and some body welded "nubbins". i suspect the superb II is like the Ocatvia II but you'd need to make sure about any factory welded mount points etc).

Lastly - note that Skoda says there is a 75kg load limit on the variable boot floor panel (that's in my owners manual). That's not a lot if you needed to haul tools or heavy items.

Edited by TheRobinK