Can 225/45/17 tyres be fitted to a Skoda Scout?

I found that by simple maths the cost of 4 tyres say over 3 years and 20000 miles works out to be pence per day so the initial cost may seem a lot but in the long run is less than you would spend on a cup of tea per day.

As to what will fit tyre fitters will advise.

Good luck in your quest.

• Like 1

Fitting the 45 instead of the standard 50 section tyres will lower the overall gearing by 3-1/2% so the speedo will be showing 2-1/2mph fast at 70mph. As it almost certainly already reads fast this will probably actually make it even more inaccurate. At least you are less likely to be caught speeding!

Ask yourself - why are the Scouts fitted as standard with 225/50 tyres rather than 225/45?

• Like 1

I hear ya- 50s it is then! I guess they will last me a while. The current tyres on it are shocking. Why would the previous owner own a scout and fit budget summers on? Makes no sense to me at all.

I hear ya- 50s it is then! I guess they will last me a while. The current tyres on it are shocking. Why would the previous owner own a scout and fit budget summers on? Makes no sense to me at all.

The son of a friend of mine recently bought a used Focus RS that was fitted with budget tyres (a make neither of us had ever even heard of) and the tyres were also of the wrong (cheaper?) size. Unfortunately this kind of thing is too common on used cars.

Try Good Year Efficient Grip Performance or Uniroyal Rainforce 3....also very good tires and not so much money

Have the GY 50s at my 2wheel Octavia....very happy

Edited by 0ctavist

• 1 month later...

You need to take into account the location of the reviewer. Someone living in Kent is probably not going to experience the same weather conditions as someone living in the north of Scotland.

As a personal example, living in central Scotland I can be driving to work at the height of summer and experience freezing fog, icy roads, snow and hail storms. From late October to March/April the temperature rarely rises above 7°C. For me, Cold Weather Tyres are essential, but would probably be an expensive irrelevance to anyone living in Hants, Sussex et al.

I have a set of 17 inch CWT's, and a 16 inch set on steel wheels (both sets of tyres are Nokian). I find 16's on steelies to be the best combination for driving in the snow.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

In every online tyre dealers site, entering your reg number for a Scout will bring back 45 profile tyres. How many have bought the wrong tyres because of this ?

The correct tyre info is on the inside of the fuel filler outer door ( 225/50/17). However, it specifies 205/55/16 for winter tyres - which seems to give an error in speedo reading (indicated 30 is only 27).

A better size would be 60 profile - but would that invalidate you insurance (wrong tyres ?)

I have always used Dunlop SP Sport 01 (with rim protection) - get around 28k miles. But may try Goodyear Efficient grip, but concerned about tyre life and softness - the Dunlops seem a hard tyre, but great road-holding and wet grip.

Cheers,

Lloyd

I have the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, and they are honestly a revelation after the Dunlop SP01's; less road noise, better grip and roadholding. Cannot comment on lifespan as they have only been on the Scout since last year.

Due to having CWT's fitted for 6 months of the year, I got over 60k out of the Dunlop's. Something to think about when weighing up the cost of CWT's.

My wife ran three full sets of Dunlop SP Sport 01 on her Scout, great tyre. Had we kept the car we'd be on our fourth set.

I'm on my first set of Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres on my Superb and also rate these very highly.