Scenic Route to Aviemore?

CBT

Hi all, not been on here for a year or so but it's good to see it's still topical with plenty of passion. Still lovin' my vRS TDI Est. 14 plate, will be changing to a petrol in a year or so as I only do about 10k pa and would like some extra 'go' so popped into my local dealership the other day to make sure the 8 month waiting list has come down, the chap reckons there is no longer a waiting list. Still don't trust 'em though...

Anyway, will be overnighting in Aviemore (en route to Isle of Unst) from Nottingham in a couple of weeks, what suggestions do people have for a scenic route where you can really drive the car? While I'm here would it be too much to ask for any recommendations for excellent eateries half way-ish?

if I wasn't fully loaded I would expect to be getting around 60mpg :)

Cheers in advance...

Well forget the A9.  Or drive it at the Average Speed camera speeds you have no choice on that from Dunblane to Aviemore.

To get to Aviemore you can go to Perth on the A9, 23 miles of 70 mph Average Speed Cameras, then from Perth to Blairgowrie, A93, to Braemar to Tomintoul to Grantown on Spey then to Aviemore, quite a trip, really great driving though.

Or Edinburgh to Perth and then to the A93.

Or from Glasgow or Stirling go through Glencoe to Fort william then to Spean Bridge and then head to the A9 and to Aviemore.

Busy at this time of year.

You can go from Stirling to Crieff to Pitlochry and join the A9. Varous wonderful routes.

Killin, or Aberfeldy on the way, or smaller roads across to Killiecrankie / House of Braur.

If doing the A9 the driver needs all their attention and passengers get the views.

If at Aviemore, 

You can go to Carrbridge and then towards Grantown on Spey and before you get there turn towards Ferness & Nairn on the first road, 

or go to Grantown on Spey and go towards, Nairn , Forres, Elgin.

Or go to Grantown on Spey from Aviemore, then to Tomintoul, Corgarff, across to Ballater, 

Scotlands best driving road.

(Not really but no point spoiling the Best or Greatest routes telling them to everybody.)

You could go to Braemar, or the South Deeside road, then join the Ballater to Edzell road. Cairn o Mount.

Problem being, it is Summer, everyone else is doing the same, Cars, Caravans, Motorhomes, Cyclists etc.

These routes are best in winter, mid week.

Plenty Unmarked cars and Bikes.

Watch out for those Audis & many others.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

PS.

Just spotted the Unst bit.  If you are heading right up the A9 i would give the detours a miss this trip and do them when you are not already having a long drive, 

or are you heading for a flight from Inverness?

• Like 1

Brilliant, ta muchly.

After overnighting in Aviemore we're off to Aberdeen (8 people, 2 x cars) for the overnight ferry (what could possibly go wrong...) to Lerwick then another ferry up, up to Unst for a week. Then straight back from Aberdeen to finish the holiday off. :D

The drive to Aberdeen can be nice or even nicer depending on which route you want to take to Dyce.

Heading back from Aberdeen down the A90 is fixed cameras all the way.

Choice at Forfar is across to Perth without going to Dundee to get to Perth.

This is the route i go regularly.

You could go Aberdeen, to Aboyne to Braemar to Glenshee, Blairgowrie to Perth the North Deeside route / A93 

and well worth it, not that much longer and i do that for a change.

Have fun.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

with all the works on the AWPR i would just avoid aberdeen at the moment. With moving from aberdeen to nottingham recently i've had to make numerous trips up and down. For a bit of fun once you have the majority of the distance done i'd suggest taking the a9 up to pitlochry then heading up to glenshee, 

tl:dr

https://goo.gl/maps/THqvwQTa8jT2

https://youtu.be/V4-7q3QCWyo

Edited by Rahr85
  • Like 1

Sorry i must have missed that part :) In that case make sure you leave plenty of time coming in from the a96. Not much to be said coming down from aviemore to aberdeen, until huntly you get a fairly good view and traffic permitting a decent enough drive, but after that you are better off just getting to the end (factoring in whatever day/time you need to make it to the ferry) as traffic around the airport and then the harbour isn't the best.

• Like 1

The roadworks for the AWPR at the A96 seem to have finished up, for now at least, so getting into Aberdeen that way shouldn't be an issue outside of rush hour. I should know, it's my commute! That said, if you've time you should definitely come over the A939 if you can. Even if it's busy (and it's never all that bad...) it is a fantastic wee road. From Cockbridge take the A944 to Aberdeen. If you really have time to kill turn off the A944 at Millbank, onto the B993 to Torphins, then the A980 to Banchory and onto the B9077 South Deeside Road. Fairly quiet, pretty twisty, avoids the traffic for the most part. It's often a nightmare round Aberdeen harbour though, so leave plenty time.

A shortish but fun detour avoiding some of the A90 as you head south would be to head back out to Banchory then take the B947 to Fettercairn, then back down to the A90. Have fun!

• Like 1

CBT,

Since you are going to Aviemore, which route are you taking to get to Perth?

Then where are you thinking of your stop for a rest and food and somebody might have some ideas.

Are you thinking as you get into Scotland?

If you're driving in the Highlands, thing to bear in mind is that apart from the main A9 (which under a few different names runs from Stirling to Inverness and beyond) there isn't really anything like a motorway to get you to Aviemore and beyond. The A9 now has the so called yellow vulture average speed cameras brought in to cut down speeding a few years ago, it can still be a dangerous road going back and forwards from single to dual carriageway with some people overtaking in ridiculous places on it but on the whole it is a very pleasant drive from Stirling straight up to Aviemore on the A9. You can come into Aviemore along a very pleasant backroad along part of the original A9 if you leave the A9 at the signpost for Kingussie take a right at the junction there and continue on the old road towards Aviemore and if you want things a bit more scenic, when you get to Kincraig take the road to your right through the village, cross the bridge over the River Spey/ Loch Insh, great view there with option of a stop for tea at Loch Insh Watersports Centre with cafe overlooking the loch. Driving from there uphill takes you to a T junction, go left and then you will soon drop down to Feshie Bridge (scenic again!) and climb steeply back up from there to the backroad to Inverdruie (nr Aviemore), along that road you also have the option to sample some rather fine cakes at Jack Drakes Nursery, where the cafe has a red squirrel viewing area or keep on going to Inverdruie. You will pass the road on right to Loch an Eilein, very scenic place too with old ruined castle on an island close to car park, if you take the righthandside path going anticlockwise around loch. When you eventually get to Inverdruie there is another good cafe there called the Old School Shop just across the road to the right. Aviemore itself is a short drive away to the left from the junction at Inverdruie. But if you have the time and the weather you could take just one little diversion before going to Aviemore and continue on past Inverdruie and Coylumbridge to Loch Morlich, which is a glorious place with wide sandy beaches amongst the pine trees and great views of the Cairngorm Mountains. In fact you can drive on up past there to the car parks on Cairngorm itself and look back down at the views over Loch Morlich and Glen More.

Plenty of places to stop off for a meal on the way to Aviemore, maybe Pitlochry or Dunkeld would be good places to take a break or if you want to go posh you could stop off at Andy Murray's Cromlix Hotel at Kinbuck, just a few miles off the A9 north of the Dunblane roundabout, meals would be expensive there but afternoon tea quite affordable!

As above the back road via Tomintoul will take you down to Royal Deeside and from there to Aberdeen, great driving roads again and always scenic!

Edited by AllanDJ
  • Like 2

Frankly, if I was going to Furry Boots city I'd not go via Aviemore!

My mate's familiar with the place and as we're not on the Aberdeen ferry till late Friday afternoon (having left Nottm 8-ish the previous day) it gives us some time to bimble about a bit. We'll be roughing it in the Youth (quiet at the back there) Hostel in Avie.

:D

CBT,

Since you are going to Aviemore, which route are you taking to get to Perth?

Then where are you thinking of your stop for a rest and food and somebody might have some ideas.

Are you thinking as you get into Scotland?

TBH I've not even looked at a map yet. This is the desk research, next step will be the book of routes. I'm guessing that by 13.00hrs we'll be in Scotland. Any ideas for decent/interesting eateries gratefully received. :)

If you want really nice.

Gleneagles Golf Resort Club House for Lunch.

A Nice stop between Stirling and Perth and only 10 minutes from turning off the A9.

http://gleneagles.com

It is just before Auchterader.

So 410 miles / 7 hours or so to Aviemore.

Or before that,

Maybe a stop around Stirling or carry on up the A9 and go into Auchterader for a choice of eating or even a chip shop.

You would be stopping before Perth.

Or lots in Perth including the KFC's McD's etc. Also nice eateries around and about.

There is a Toby Carvery overlooking the Tay, tables outside as well, and a wonderful public garden and walk across the main road to Dundee.

Maybe worth getting that break in Perth before just heading to Aviemore unless stopping after Perth.

Maybe into Pitlochry and once through the high street look for the 'Boat Station', 

eat outside the Cabin Cafe at Loch Faskally Boating Station.  or there are plenty of hotels & eateries in the town.

http://fishfaskally.com

*One of my favourite spots to take visitors to.*

Best Fuel up in Perth, Tesco, Asda or various branded filling stations.

If you head down to exit Perth still on the A9 at the Inverness road there is a Tiso Superstore with a cafe.

Beside the Mercedes Dealership.

http://tiso.com/shops/perth-outdoor-experience

This is going towards Tomintoul & then by the Lecht and to Aberdeen.

(in the video they turn off the Aberdeen road & North towards Ballater, and that is fabulous, and then you can go Ballater to Aberdeen.)

You would be going the opposite way from my pictures when going by the Lecht to Aberdeen from Aviemore, and it is highly recommended for a reason.

http://lecht.co.uk

post-86161-0-44954600-1471602690_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-63947900-1471602702_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-80507600-1471602715_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-55276800-1471602730_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-77877900-1471602746_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-15538600-1471603032_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with staying at the youth hostel in Aviemore, I've stayed there loads of times before and the other one down by Loch Morlich which I think they call Cairngorm Lodge now. If you're looking for a good place to eat in Aviemore try the Italian restaurant (La Taverna) which faces the roundabout as you enter Aviemore from either A9 side or from Loch Morlich direction, they do a rather fine all you can eat buffet, might need to book that beforehand though as it is popular, have a look at: 

http://www.highrange.co.uk/taverna

Hope you enjoy your drive through one of my favourite parts of Scotland!

• Like 1

If you want really nice.

Gleneagles Golf Resort Club House for Lunch.

A Nice stop between Stirling and Perth and only 10 minutes from turning off the A9.

http://gleneagles.com

It is just before Auchterader.

So 410 miles / 7 hours or so to Aviemore.

Or before that,

Maybe a stop around Stirling or carry on up the A9 and go into Auchterader for a choice of eating or even a chip shop.

You would be stopping before Perth.

Or lots in Perth including the KFC's McD's etc. Also nice eateries around and about.

There is a Toby Carvery overlooking the Tay, tables outside as well, and a wonderful public garden and walk across the main road to Dundee.

Maybe worth getting that break in Perth before just heading to Aviemore unless stopping after Perth.

Maybe into Pitlochry and once through the high street look for the 'Boat Station',

eat outside the Cabin Cafe at Loch Faskally Boating Station. or there are plenty of hotels & eateries in the town.

http://fishfaskally.com

*One of my favourite spots to take visitors to.*

Best Fuel up in Perth, Tesco, Asda or various branded filling stations.

If you head down to exit Perth still on the A9 at the Inverness road there is a Tiso Superstore with a cafe.

Beside the Mercedes Dealership.

http://tiso.com/shops/perth-outdoor-experience

This is going towards Tomintoul & then by the Lecht and to Aberdeen.

(in the video they turn off the Aberdeen road & North towards Ballater, and that is fabulous, and then you can go Ballater to Aberdeen.)

You would be going the opposite way from my pictures when going by the Lecht to Aberdeen from Aviemore, and it is highly recommended for a reason.

http://lecht.co.uk

That brings back some good and bad memories for me as this was the route we took for LEJOG in May this year. What a road though!
  • Like 1

Many thanks for all the advice everyone, thoroughly looking forward to this beautiful part of the UK.

Will be returning mid September so will give you an update.

Cheers,

Iain :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the pics of "my back garden"......lol

I like it when most of the "tourists" wanabe car drivers etc clear off the roads as otherwise it makes life difficult for us locals.....who drive faster!

Just pulling your leg....drive safely,

but the Ferness/Carrbridge bit I would avoid as they are building a bit windfarm up there soon (now).....& the logging lorries are getting used to using it as a short cut & meeting one doing god knows what speed by the Lochindorb turn off (about 7;48 in vid) a couple of years back really put me off using it as a daily route. I'l be doing the Grantown to Ballater route this month to see a mate & to look at some ski gear...

Edited by fabdavrav