Ordered! Now some questions about how to drive it... (!)

Ordered, to replace our Mondeo...

Superb SE L Executive 150ps TDI DSG

Front sensors

Heated windscreen

Rear wiper

Spare wheel

Flappy paddles

Rear backrest release from boot

Door panel waste bin (this is me, not the hubby!)

Metallic business grey

Woohoo! Although I came on here to ask some questions and have just read a lot of threads from people having problems. Now I'm a bit scared!  :sweat:

Anyway, I've been driving 20 years but have only ever driven manuals with 'proper' handbrakes (none of this push button nonsense), so I have some stupid questions...

How do you do a hill start?! We didn't encounter hills on our test drive.

And what if you park on a hill? When I stopped on the test drive the dealer said to just brake to a halt and then switch the ignition off, at which point the handbrake will automatically be applied. Does this work on hills too? Assume I'd keep the brake applied until I'd switched the ignition off? 

What if I stop in traffic on a hill. Would I brake, stop, then flick the handbrake button? Then just drive off when ready?

Honestly, when switching to a push-button handbrake, dealers should throw in a free one-hour driving lesson.  :D

• Like 1

Leave it on auto hold, then never touch the handbrake button again. I haven't touched it once in my first 10k. It holds automatically on a hill (but displays the brake lights).

• Like 1

Leave it on auto hold, then never touch the handbrake button again. I haven't touched it once in my first 10k. It holds automatically on a hill (but displays the brake lights).

This is the correct advice in 99% of occasions.

The only time I turn off the auto brake is when doing tight manouvers for parking.

If you have autobrake on, you have to blip the throttle to get the car moving, which can lead to inelegantly shuddering around the car park.

If you turn the autobrake off, then you just slowly release the foot brake and the car will start to creep forwards/backwards nice and smooth.

• Like 1

The Auto hold feature is brilliant!

The only thing is, when I get in my wife's Ford Focus and expect the same thing but there's this great big handbrake thingy.

Just as I expect the rear hatch on the Focus to power itself up...

Autohold was not standard on SE-L when I ordered, but it was the best £100 I spent on the car. You will get used to it within an hr of driving, just ensure that you press the brake firmly enough on a steep hill as mine started to creep at a glacial pace the other day. A gentle extra press on pedal stopped the car dead.

If you need to add Autohold as an option, also add TSR (traffic sign recognition) at £85 as it will allow you to add lane assist (dealer order option of £850) for free with a quick visit to a competent VCDS owner.

Those two options will be the best £185 you will ever spend on options, I know because I curse myself everytime I drive my car as I deleted TSR thinking it was a pointless extra. Little did I know that the VCDS gurus would crack the lane assist coding using the windscreen camera which TSR brings two weeks before I took delivery!

Raging was not the word!

Edited by blahde2
  • Like 1

add TSR (traffic sign recognition) at £85 as it will allow you to add lane assist (dealer order option of £850) for free with a quick visit to a competent VCDS owner.

Those two options will be the best £185 you will ever spend on options, I know because I curse myself everytime I drive my car as I deleted TSR thinking it was a pointless extra. Little did I know that the VCDS gurus would crack the lane assist coding using the windscreen camera which TSR brings two weeks before I took delivery!

Can't you also do it the other way. Spec lane assist then car will have camera and then use VCDS to activate TSR? It sounds more expensive that way but would it work?

Auto hold... Is that the same as "hill hold control" in the brochure?

http://www.ddscars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Skoda-Brochure-July-2016-Superb.pdf (p24 in the brochure / p13 of the PDF)

It's a £100 option for the SE L, but the brochure says "Standard with DSG transmission" so I assume we're getting it as we've gone for a DSG engine? 

Hill Hold releases brake pressure in proportion to the amount of throttle applied to prevent rolling.

It is automatically enabled when starting off on any incline over 7 degrees.

It is active for a second or so, enough to get moving without rolling.

Most effective on much steeper inclines or if you have a trailer attached.

Applying sufficient throttle from Auto Hold releases brake pressure instantly [unless Hill Hold is operating].

DSG = Hill Hold as standard.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

Can't you also do it the other way. Spec lane assist then car will have camera and then use VCDS to activate TSR? It sounds more expensive that way but would it work?

Doing it that way will work with an effective cost of £765 and includes Blind Spot Detection.

Doing it the blahde2 way is effectively saving £765 but with no option for BSD. Requires SatNav to be present to prevent error messages.

Hill hold must be fantastic in a manual - it's great in the DSG.

Doing it that way will work with an effective cost of £765 and includes Blind Spot Detection.
Doing it the blahde2 way is effectively saving £765 but with no option for BSD. Requires SatNav to be present to prevent error messages.

That's interesting to know - my car came with lane assist, ACC, BSD etc but no TSR..

The only trouble with these e-brakes is they spoil all the fun of handbrake turns :-(

J-turn. Throw steering to the right then pull up and hold the e-brake, then push it down. Theoretically! Loan me your car and I'll happily put it to the test.  :p  Sure as hell won't be trying it in mine.  :no:

• Like 1