VRS Tsi 220 iridium plugs anyone?

Is it really that Iridium plugs last longer? I put some on my previous car - it was tuned and they were recommended - and the interval for changing them was much smaller. The standard plugs had a 60tkm schedule and the iridium were about half of it.

With that said, they are a "hotter" plug, and more adequate for tuning cars.

To be fair I don't know what plugs your car has as standard but its probably already a platinum or iridium one...

I though normally tuned cars run cooler plugs, more heat in a tuned engine so you run a cooler plug to reduce the chance of pre-ignition. Hotter plugs self clean better. Don't APR recommend cooler plugs with a remap especially if you track the car?

Edited by V6Jules

They aren't changed every major service though Orville.  That's one of the cons of the major service.  If you look at the description its change this, change that, change the other but with a little * after each....and down the bottom in small text you find * means when required.  Look deeper and very little extra is done on a lot of majors, compared to a minor.

They will last exactly the same time as standard plugs - until the next major service. Spark plugs are far less likely to foul nowadays because modern engines run less rich and more efficiently.

Isn't this a bit like tyre fitting centres who fill your tyres with "nitrogen" and charge you £20 for the privilege?

Um, hang on, you filled the tyres from that main piece of kit that seems to dispense air?

Close 'em all down, I say.

The only time one of my vehicles faled an MOT was when I was dumb enough to take it to a Kwik-Fit......it failed on a tyre irregularity but, fortunately, Kwik-Fit sell tyres.

I was much younger, and more naive, back then.