slight overheating problem

hi

ive got 51 plate vrs

and the temp gauge was going from 0-90c so ive chnaged the temp sensor and this seems to have solved this however

since the roads have got busy again and im stuck in traffic each morning for about 20 mins the car seems to get hot

yesterday it got to about 100c then traffic cleared and i starting to drive and it dropped back to 90c

today it got to around 110 just as i was starting to get concerned it droppped back to 90c quickly i guess the fan faze 2 had stepped in here

just question on what temps should each fan faze step in???

i also have checked and both fans work fine when i put the aircon on

fuses on top of the battery look in good order shiney not corroding etc

i leaning toward this being an issue with the fan temp switch not working for the low setting??

could i be right or do you have any other suggestions

cheers

Did you use a genuine temperature sensor? People on here have reported problems with non-genuine ones.

Fan(s) should kick in automatically when required to keep the temp around 90. Normally you wouldn't see the temp gauge move at all when the fans kick in. If you leave the car idling (air con off) then the fan(s) should kick in after a while. Have you checked that?

Could also be the thermostat is stuck closed or water pump failure. Are both the top and bottom radiator hoses getting warm? (obviously be very careful checking that in case the fan kicks in!)

It had a green sensor in it it already but must of been a cheap one so swapped that with oe from euro car parts so that should be ok plus Its hasnt been  jumping from 0 to 90 and back since swapping that. The top rad hose is deffo hot I felt that while poking around earlier haven't tested the bottom one. I did leave my car on idle for about 5 mins after getting home and the fan didn't kick in but the temp didn't go above 90c either.

Edited by Endisforever

I'm thinking it's time for a thermostat replacement tbh

It does look like that is the case if your not getting flow through the radiator. A good place to start anyway   :D

Edited by SuperbTWM

Update after work drive this morning I didn't have temp issues but I wasn't sat in traffic

But I did check the bottom rad hose after it had been run and it was warm top hose was hot

Temp with aircon on was sitting about 80c and went to 90c with it off

do the stat before anything else is looked at, mine needs doing, its a £20 job just a bit awkward to get to.

Any cooling issues tend to be Stat and sensor on these things. they are cheep to swap so worth doing. if you still have the same issue then dig further.

Well to add insult to injury I was half mile home from work today went over a speed bump car cut out wouldn't restart...

Called AA out the God damn cambelt has slipped so towed to garage to be checked tomorrow to see what thr damage is

Can't believe it been running fine up till now and all gone to pot

The part that tensions the timing belt on those engines is not an item which is part of the timing kit if its done at the dealers and its susceptible to seizing completely or the oil leaking out so that is my first guess as to why the timing belt has slipped. 

Have you thought about just getting it towed straight to the scrappers?  :D

Edited by SuperbTWM