8 month review 1.4 150 bhp dsg hatch

I have now been running my quartz grey 1.4 se dsg hatch for 8 months and though I'd share some comments.

Overall I love the car.  It is so comfortable to drive and a very smooth auto box.  I have only used the manual option once out of curiosity so can't really comment on that, though it worked fine on the one attempt.  I find The power is more than adequate for such a big car and I find myself having to reign myself in on the motorways.  I love the assisted cruise control and am quite happy fort he car to take over making gear and braking decisions which a lot of my friends find surprising as they say they wouldn't be comfortable with that. Embrace the future say I ;)  The mpg seems to be creeping up now after a disappointing start when the engine was wearing in. i do a lot of cross town stop start driving so it is a bit thirsty then but averaged out with motorway runs for such a big unit with an auto gearbox I'm happy enough. People I've had sat in the back can't believe how much room there is so 10/10 for that. 

I do have some niggles though and would appreciate comments if anyone else has experienced the same:

Oil:   My previous models/sierra's didn't use a drop.  In fact i got very complacent with them and hardly every checked the dip stick.  However with the superb it has used about 3/4 of a  litre of oil over 6,000 miles.  I assume this might be part of the wearing in phase or maybe VW engines of this type do tend to use oil so it's something I'll need to check and top up on a regular basis?

Tyre pressure monitor:  I'm not convinced this works as when i got the car i set it on the central console.  However when i did a manual check recently the pressures had changed.  i've since adjusted the pressures and re-set so will keep an eye on it.  think it's something I'll mention when it gets serviced.

Heave Traffic gearbox/handbrake noise:   I've had a few periods where i've been nose to  tail for say half an hour and as the time progresses when setting off there is a grinding/creaking noise which I suspect is coming from the auto handbrake function though the other day when stuck on the m67 for half an hour i began to wonder if it was actually from the gearbox.  As soon a you get free from the traffic and move on the  noise disappears as if the component affected has cooled down.  Again i'll mention it when its due for service as not a big deal but wondered if anyone else has experience the same.

Rear suspension rattle:  Occasionally on the rear drivers side i can hear a rattle when travelling a low speed which seems to me to be coming from the suspension.  I checked I had nothing loose in the boot or on the rear seats so pretty sure it is from there. It's not a big issue just a little annoying at times. again something to mention at service time.

Paint work -  Unfortunately my car gets a lot of tree debris on it, leaves, sap dust etc.  On jet washing it a few minor scratches appeared which i suspect were caused by some debris being jettisoned across the paintwork.  Again on previous mondeos which had to endure same conditions the paintwork  seems to cope ok.  I am loath to get a car cover due to faff of taking it off and on and storing it but might have to bite the bullet.   A paintwork shop who i  asked to try and buff out the scratches said he thought the modern paint were bit soft so prone to scratches, has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Smartlink:  I have  a moto g phone with android auto app on it. I have only got the smart link feature working twice. I was delighted when driving up to Glasgow i had google maps as a sat nav on my screen but it only lasted for 20 mins so the joy was short lived. My usb cable is quite long so thinking of trying a shorter one to see if that helps. Wondered if anyone had got this feature working on a regular basis?

So a few niggles but to be honest they're not massive issues and are liveable compared with the overall car experience.  So for my 8 month review i'd give the superb a 8/10 

cheers

Chris

Edited by ChrissyG

I have the 1.4 TSI engine - albeit in an Octavia - and it uses 1L of oil every 15000km. Judging from threads in the Octavia section this is completely normal. I assume the same will be true for the Superb. 

I keep 1L oil in the trunk and fill up when I get the warning (yes, I know, I should check the oil level every week... but I don't :) )

Edited by jthyssen
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'm glad you like the engine (it seems to get universal acclaim). I wouldn't worry about the oil, as said above it's well in spec and they do use more during run-in. You mentioned MPG a few times but didn't tell us what you get. I'm curious. :)

As for the paint, you're right. It's not very good on the newer Škodas unfortunately, though the type of mild damage you're talking about will easily polish out with a DA and a couple of hours work at most. Unless you're happy doing it yourself (it's not difficult, but the equipment isn't very cheap) I'd highly recommend you go to a reputable detailer rather than a body shop. They'll be able to properly decontaminate the paint (tar, iron and other bonded contaminants) and then clay it before giving it a light corrective polish. After that, more importantly, you need to seal the paint with either a quality wax or (if seeing a detailer) a ceramic coating. That way the sap, bug/bird bombs etc won't bond or be able to mar the clear coat, and you'll find washing the car a lot easier.

Finally (said with tongue firmly in cheek):

1.4 se dsg

such a big unit

Even the 2.0 isn't a 'big unit'. A 6+ litre V8, V10 or V12, I'd grant you. But a 1.4? Big? No. Just... no. :D;)  Of course I assume you really mean the car itself, I'm just messing with you. However, do remember the Superb mk3 weighs about as much as a Corsa or Golf from not too long ago. That's quite some going! It's also part of the reason the 1.4 is suited to such an otherwise large car, as although it's physically massive it weighs remarkably little. I nearly ordered the 1.4 but temptation got the better of me (and I'm glad it did in the end  :devil: ).

• Like 1

I haven't driven a 1.4 but from what nearly everyone has said who has one they are more than adequate - still get 150bhp with a very good 0-60 time.

As technology moves on smaller but more powerful and economical engines seem to be the way things are going.

Even the 2.0 isn't a 'big unit'. A 6+ litre V8, V10 or V12, I'd grant you.

Rainmaker, how about one of these for a 'big' engine?. I deliberately parked my Superb next to this Cobra a couple of weeks ago while I was working in the I.O.M. 427 cubic inch so about 7 litre. There was a few of them there in total, including a Cobra Coupe which I haven't seen before.

WP_20160906_16_17_07_Pro_zpsc10qdppd.jpg

• Like 1

Rainmaker I was getting early 30s to gallon in early days but now seem be at the higher end of the 30 mark and soemtimes into 40's depending on the driving I'm doing which generally is commuting and short runs  and yes the big unit I was referencing was the size of the car rather than engine - I admire your cheek though ;)

Thanks for replies everyone very useful info and much appreciated as sounds like I am having a very similar experience to others which is re-assuring.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rainmaker I was getting early 30s to gallon in early days but now seem be at the higher end of the 30 mark and soemtimes into 40's depending on the driving I'm doing which generally is commuting and short runs  and yes the big unit I was referencing was the size of the car rather than engine

I am thinking of switching to petrol if/when I next change my car but the mpg figures for the 150 dsg do not look very good, certainly when compared to my current diesel estate.  Any idea what mph per 1000rpm as that is also is important to me, I  don't like buzzy engines. In manual my current on 18"  wheels seems to be doing 37/38 mph on a flat.