Fabia 1 door lock barrel replacement?

Purpletom

Hi,

I'm battling my way through the mini restoration/rejuvenation of a Fabia TDi that I accidentally bought on eBay a couple of months ago and I have a question relating to the lock barrel on the drivers door.

Basically, there is some evidence of the vehicle having been broken into in the past and I've noticed that the ignition keys do not work in the door lock - clearly it has had a replacement handle at some point in its life. This means that at the moment I can only secure the car with the remote which is fine, but I do like to have the contingency of being able to manually lock it!

Is there a way of altering the lock barrel to accept the key or is it the sort of thing where I'll need to go to a dealer with the VIN and order one? Or is there another solution? I've previously re-tumbled locks on Corrados that I've owned to get them matched but they were the earlier type of key.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tom

TMB - Thanks, but I'd like to get it so there's only one key needed for the whole car, I'm a bit OCD like that.

Tech1e - Thanks for that, unfortunately I don't have the key number either! I've had a good search through the site on how to obtain the key number and I can't quite figure out if I can use VCDS to obtain it - can you advise?

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Purpletom

TMB - Thanks, but I'd like to get it so there's only one key needed for the whole car, I'm a bit OCD like that.

Tech1e - Thanks for that, unfortunately I don't have the key number either! I've had a good search through the site on how to obtain the key number and I can't quite figure out if I can use VCDS to obtain it - can you advise?

Thanks

Tom

You don't need the key number. Just order one from the parts dept to your chassis number. Providing the locks haven't been changed it will be the right one.

Smart plan, sorting things before they have given you a problem!

I've rebuilt quite a few Ford Tibbe door locks - good fun especially as Ford sold these parts for trade use, so no instructions!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to bookend this post - as stated above all that's needed to sort this is the VIN and proof of ownership.

Took about 10 days to arrive and cost just over £30 for a new barrel with the lock being correct for my keys. Approximately 2 minutes to fit and now all sorted.

Thanks to those who posted with advice on this.

Tom

Edited by Purpletom
  • Like 1