Another Octy 3, New Tyres

JKW

Have had my 2nd Octy 3 for 3 weeks now, an SE L whereas the earlier one was an Elegance, both DSG 1.6 TDi's.

A few subtle differences between the two, the main one being the change of tyre manufacturer.

The "Elegance" ran on Michelin's, the newer SE L is on Bridgestone's, which I find quieter & smoother, and so a big improvement on our potholed roads !

The Michelin's were hard wearing though, after 30k miles still had a minimum 4mm of tread left - remains to be seen if the Bridgestone's wear as well.

JKW

• 4 weeks later...

My new Octavia SE L 1.4tsi came with Dunlop sport maxx 17" tyres. Road noise transmitted into the cabin is terrible. What is the road noise like in your car, which is fitted with different tyres. 

I can honestly say the Bridgestone's (17") fitted are quieter than the Michelin's I had on the previous Octy 3, and seem to run smoother too. Maybe the newer model has had the suspension settings tweaked ?

SWMBO has also noted the improvement in ride quality - when travelling any fair distances she prefers to sit in the back ( away from my 60's music !) and has commented  that "it feels much better than the old one". Mind you, she is NOT a petrol head, doesn't even like the colour of the new one (Quartz Grey Metallic) and hasn't driven herself for about 10 years, so her opinion is not exactly scientific when it comes to ride/handling !

JKW 

Dunlop Sport are the same tyres my car came with when new, have to say they were pretty noisy and not that great wearing either, changed the front two this summer for Vredestein tyres, can't remember exact model but found them highly recommended on a few online reviews which actually mentioned the Octavia 3 and it is literally night and day the difference much, much quieter up front at least.

• Like 1