Has the mfr got it right? - Tyres

I won't say I'm tight... but I squeak when I walk!

Quite happy to admit I will sacrifice ride quality to save a few quid...

But I want the best fuel efficiency and best possible tyre wear - how to get both?

Have Skoda got the 'right' pressure setting for the UK climate/roads? Did they focus on comfort or economy?

What recommendation would you make? 

My vehicle is the SE L Exec 2.0 (150) TDi 6speed Manual Estate with 18" Pegasus alloys...

Discuss...

I have the save car as you except hatchback and on 19 pegasus.  

I use the normal setting as I found the eco setting returned worst mpg than the normal. ( I tend not to use big throttle openings)

I regular get 58 mpg as a result on the drive to work  (1 hour).  Not the lab 70 mpg :).

If I have a complaint on ride it is that it is too soft at the upper end and wallows a little too much.  But I do like the ride overall.  

My last car was a Lancer with evo suspension and was the complete opposite.

All in all i think Skoda have it right as they have to accommodate all users and that is very difficult.

I have the save car as you except hatchback and on 19 pegasus.  

I use the normal setting as I found the eco setting returned worst mpg than the normal. ( I tend not to use big throttle openings)

I regular get 58 mpg as a result on the drive to work  (1 hour).  Not the lab 70 mpg :).

If I have a complaint on ride it is that it is too soft at the upper end and wallows a little too much.  But I do like the ride overall.  

My last car was a Lancer with evo suspension and was the complete opposite.

All in all i think Skoda have it right as they have to accommodate all users and that is very difficult.

What about the Tyre pressures? Have you played about with them at all?

I must admit I use Normal and rarely use any auto settings, like ACC as my eyes and anticipation of the road and other users, combined with a light foot mean my MPG is usually well over what is generally expected - in most cases I beat the Mfr figures and economy is always better in my hands than the cars... but it seems Skoda are more... creative than Vaux & Renault

Everything is standard (Tyre pressures included)  and auto on aircon - set at 21deg.

My MPG includes setting out for work at 6.am at 10 degrees external air temp .  Naturally this will use a lot more choke.  So all in all quite fair

• Like 1

Tyres that return better MPG and tyres that last longer are usually one and the same. I'm sure I typed that on another thread last night also. Harder compounds and more plastic means lower rolling resistance. That gives better economy and also means they wear slower.

Softer tyres grip better, ride nicer and quieter, but wear faster and can be 1mpg worse on fuel.

I'm all for not wasting money, but I don't get the mentality of willingly suffering over thousands of miles a year to save a couple of quid. If I was that tight I'd walk or save the money elsewhere. Refinement, power and comfort are a priority for me. Each to their own and all that. :)

Edited by Rainmaker

I've found I get about 5-10% better economy with the Eco tyre pressure, BUT my tyres have worn significantly in the middle but not on the edges so in my opinion the Eco pressure is too high. I've now backed them down to 30psi.

• Like 1

I've found I get about 5-10% better economy with the Eco tyre pressure, BUT my tyres have worn significantly in the middle but not on the edges so in my opinion the Eco pressure is too high. I've now backed them down to 30psi.

Strange. My fronts have worn evenly down to 6mm despite eco pressures. The rears are still on 7mm and again even. Weird.

I tried the eco setting of 38 psi for a while and didn't really notice any worthwhile difference in mpg. I thought the interior noise level went up which surprised me a bit.

As to which drive mode, I use the eco setting; not because I get any better mpg but because the ride is generally smoother especially with the oil burner at slower speeds. Once you have mastered the art of taking your foot of the accelerator and letting the car 'cruise' it can be a very relaxed way to get about. Whenever I need to drive I switch back to normal.

I also think that Skoda have got it about right for us 'middle of the road oil burning bargees'. I haven't ridden or driven the 2 litre petrol but I can imagine some of the mode settings would feel a bit loose to say the least.

• Like 1

Tyres that return better MPG and tyres that last longer are usually one and the same. I'm sure I typed that on another thread last night also. Harder compounds and more plastic means lower rolling resistance. That gives better economy and also means they wear slower.

Softer tyres grip better, ride nicer and quieter, but wear faster and can be 1mpg worse on fuel.

I'm all for not wasting money, but I don't get the mentality of willingly suffering over thousands of miles a year to save a couple of quid. If I was that tight I'd walk or save the money elsewhere. Refinement, power and comfort are a priority for me. Each to their own and all that. :)

It's the pressures not the tyres themselves I am querying... I just want to get the optimum wear vs economy ratio with the pressures. I'm not about to change tyres that have only done 420 miles - I'm not that rich.  :sweat: