Ignition timing marks

Hello all,

I'm striving to find the proper ignition timing values for my Skoda Felicia 1.3 Carburetor. I checked a lot on the web and on this forum but I am either using the incorrect keywords or there really isn't any info related.

I'm having poor idle and I'm suspecting that the ignition timing is not proper. Does anyone know or knows where I can find the proper Ignition timing values (the one you set with the strobe light)? Any help will be much appreciated :)

The markings for ignition timing are on the cover of the distribution chain around the crankshaft pulley. See last photo for correct timing (-2 +/- 2). But if idle is poor I doubt is from timing unless you messed with it lately.

yrtU9mI.jpg

7rXXkAV.jpg

8P9nqQ9.jpg

Edited by RicardoM
  • Like 1

Just what I wanted Ricardo! Many thanks!

I had the car at the shop and it started taking long to start, making a petrol odor and having poor low idle ever since. I've been assured by a mechanic that the carb settings are correct so since there's no loss in checking, I want to make sure that the ignition timing is correct.

Unless the distributor is free to rotate from a loose fastener or the distributor itself suffered a sudden malfunction, the ignition timing doesn't change.

Since you said there is a strong smell of unburned petrol, there are a lot of things to check:

• weak spark (use a spark tester)
  • flooded carburettor or vacuum leak
  • air intake restriction

As for the distributor itself, have a look at the carbon brush, rotor and cap pins for wear, cracks, and corrosion respectively. Even better, try to borrow a known good distributor.

I've had similar symptoms before from a failed mechanical fuel pump diaghragm leaking petrol into the sump. The engine ran rich as a result of petrol fumes entering the carburettor via the breather hose from the rocker cover.

I wouldn't say it's a common fault, but worth checking that the oil level isn't rising, is thin and smells of fuel.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...