HELP! DSG car not moving now, DMF failure?

Hey guys I have an octavia 1z with a DSG transmission. Over the last 5k kms there was an audible rattling noise and my shifts were not smooth. Sometimes RPMs increased as if the clutch was slipping. I suspected it to be the dual mass flywheel and today as usual I was driving and all of a sudden the car lost its power. Now if I select R or D or S mode the car keeps revving with no power on wheels. However there is no rattling sound too now. Is it the flywheel failure or is it something else?

Your symptoms are not what you'd expect from a DMF failure. Although if the flywheel had a catastrophic failure and broke apart, then I suppose it's possible the bolts sheared causing your lack of drive. 

The first thing to do is to get the car scanned to check for fault codes in the transmission. If this comes back clear then the car will need examined to determine the cause. Remember the DMF symptoms you were having may be just a red herring.......A broken drive shaft, CV joint or sheared hub splines could cause your car's symptoms and are worth checking before looking at the transmission.

You'll also have to consider repair costs....If it isn't any of the above and your transmission needs replaced then it might be cheaper to buy another car. Certainly a DSG failure on a 2006 Octavia in the UK would render the car a write off. 

Edited by booke23

Well got the drive shaft and CV joint checked everything is fine. The engineer says its either the DMF or the clutch pack of the tranny or maybe both. Just ordered DMF and will update this post about the same.

• Like 1

Well got the drive shaft and CV joint checked everything is fine. The engineer says its either the DMF or the clutch pack of the tranny or maybe both. Just ordered DMF and will update this post about the same.

I'd be interested to know the outcome. To me the total loss of drive and the RPM rising without drive symptom, occurring before total failure, does sound like clutch pack. But you've had someone look at it, so there are obviously pointers towards the DMF being an issue as well.

If it is a gearbox fault then you would likely have the PRNDS symbols flashing on the dashboard.

Well I guess PRNDS flashing only comes when mechatronics fail. I dont think DMF failure shows up on dash as PRNDS flashing. As far as I know I guess only a mechatronics failure or multi-clutch heating or something like that will show up.

I'd be interested to know the outcome. To me the total loss of drive and the RPM rising without drive symptom, occurring before total failure, does sound like clutch pack. But you've had someone look at it, so there are obviously pointers towards the DMF being an issue as well.

Sure, parts weren't available, I checked with the people today and I will get the part tomorrow so either tomorrow or day after tomorrow I will get it replaced and will keep the forum updated. Really hope its just the DMF else the repairing costs will really go high.

Got my car back after a week! It runs smoothly the way it used to before. I got my DMF changed (older one was functional but had a lot of play so it was creating some issues). Broken part was multi-clutch. It's plate got opened and got free which was the main reason the car wasn't moving. So multi-clutch and DMF is what I changed. Thanks everyone for the concern on this topic!

• Like 2

I have heard of failures in the clutch pack due to the casing cracking round the locking ring.

It's very rare though. Must be down to a manufacturing defect in the metal.

At least it's sorted and a new clutch pack isn't actually that expensive and is accessible while changing the DMF anyway so no real extra labour involved.

• 3 years later...

It is a transmission out job, so guess 5 or 6 hours for someone with right equipment.  Clutch pack, depends what you get. Maybe £300 to £400.  If the DMF needs doing,  more again.

I have not had it done or done it myself though.  Have seen some videos...