Smokey vrs !

Procedure is remove all plugs, disconnect coils to stop wayward sparks, throttle wide open, crank engine for up to 6 secs or until gauge records maximum pressure available.

Record readings, then inject a couple of squirts of oil into the bore from a clean oil can and do it all over again.

Record readings, if there is no noticeable increase then your compression is probably going out past the valve seats, but basically you are looking for a consistent increase across all cylinders.

You should normally do a compression test with at least a warm engine, but ideally an engine just turned off after a short run, to expand all the components up size. The important thing is to get a consistent seal with the gauge into the head on all cylinders for the readings to be meaningful

Am going out for a short trip soon, so will check the rocker box then for you, watch this space. :giggle:

Edited by kentphil1

Ive just done a test with everything up to temperature and its exactly the same as cold test , haven't done the oil test yet mind . The rocker cover pressure is normal I think , as when I put hand over the oil filler it turns back to normal ie no pressure forcing my hand .

I checked mine after a 1 hour drive, so was up to temperature, then removed the oil cap at tickover, and the pressure that was there could roughly be equated to blowing on your hand moderately hard, no real heavy pressure there at all really.

The oil test will tell you the state of drop off in your bores, but to be honest, with what you have already said, I am leaning towards a stuck oil ring.

What was the state of the other plugs?, were they oily at all, even a much reduced amount?.

I will be out of the country for a week, so don't think I'm ignoring you if you need more answers during the week, but perhaps one of the others will "step into the gap" for you.

I will say to the OP that I do not disagree with Ken, so if I give the impression of that then please don't take it that way as I think both of us mean well and I don't want to confuse you.

Exactly; Phil and I clearly have different experiences, which unfortunately means that symptoms and diagnoses aren't completely conclusive!

I've got the same kind of issue. Uses a litre of oil per 2k miles. Buffs at bit when at the lights or heavy traffic but not cold start up. Changed over plugs yesterday and all where in great condition. Removed turbo pipe on the top of engine and was a little oily so next is to have a look at the intercooler. The breather pipes do have a lot of oil in them and then i removed the hockey punk about a t spoon came out.

• Like 1

I just fitted a new puck and pcv valve and it made a lot of difference to the car but not the smoke issue . Ive just ordered some upper cylinder lubricant so will try that when it arrives . Then the valve seals after crimbo . I plan on keeping the car so will just have to keep going until its fixed . Ive read about putting sea foam in the plug holes directly on top of the pistons and let soak , its supposed to remove carbon and unstick oil rings , so worth a try I guess .

Right ken , just been out for a spirited drive , ive found that if I knock the car out of gear going downhills then re engage at the bottom I have no smoke whatsoever , no smoke on boost , none driving normally , so I take it from that that its sucking the oil in on vacumn somewhere . ive also noticed that if I give it a good boot I get a puff of smoke between gear changes . does this help at all ? I'm leaning towards valve stem seals on 4 or valve seats themselves . Cheers .

Right ken , just been out for a spirited drive , ive found that if I knock the car out of gear going downhills then re engage at the bottom I have no smoke whatsoever , no smoke on boost , none driving normally , so I take it from that that its sucking the oil in on vacumn somewhere . ive also noticed that if I give it a good boot I get a puff of smoke between gear changes . does this help at all ? I'm leaning towards valve stem seals on 4 or valve seats themselves . Cheers .

That definitely inclines me towards  stem seals too.

That definitely inclines me towards  stem seals too.

Back from parts foreign,

+1 for me too with that information.

Rings smoke would be present regardless, definitely agree with Ken about the carbon on the piston crown too, they like to bed in and run nice, disturbing that can sometimes cause more issues than you want to cure unless you are fully rebuilding the engine.

Well the search continues, took off the pancake pipe and hoses expecting to see it full of oil but no. Also cleaned out what I could of the intercooler and there wasn't much there. So I think its got to be breather related. Due a service next month so will get garage to check out anything I've missed.

• Like 1