Fitting a CD player

I've had the car for six months now  !.2 Tsi  110 SE L and generally pleased with the performance and the dsg autobox  BUT !

Am an old fart who is not too well informed as to the workings of sd's and usb methods of music transfer.

In my earlier much loved  2006 Fabia Vrs Mk1  PD 130

I was able to play all my CD's on the built in radio/cd player.

I am aware of the sd and usb feature on the Mk111 but,  am not really up to transferring in real time my vast collection of cd music.;.

The question is  ... Is it possible to fit a cd player and  power it thru the accessory power plug and connect to the Bolero via the aux ?

I know that Vw used to offer the cd player and it fitted under the radio , is this still available or something like it.

I cant be the only one who misses a cd player.. Or am I ?

jake

an old fart in Bexhill on sea..

• Like 2

Hi Jeleto,

You can buy usb powered portable cd player's like in the links below.

So the unit only needs a usb cable for both the power and the music.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Improved-Version-Pictek-Portable/dp/B01AW9KB84/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1476617686&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+powered++portable+car+cd+player

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topop-External-Player-MacBook-Macbook/dp/B01HUN872W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1476618486&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+powered+cd+player

But I don't know whether this will talk to the bolero infotainment system.

I also don't know if these products are any good, other makes are available.

You would still need some where to put it in the car!

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1

am not really up to transferring in real time my vast collection of cd music.;.

Hello,

Not an answer to your question as such, but there could be a way for you to transition your CD collection into the 'cloud' for free, although it is a little laborious (but ultimately could be worth it in the long run)

Google Play Music offers a function whereby you can upload all of your CD's to their servers, for free (limit is something like 50,000 songs at around 300Mb per song, so plenty for most). This would then give you a Spotify type experience on your phone but using your own music collection. If you have an Android phone, you could use the Android Auto function and have your music collection on screen and browseable 

The long part is ripping each CD one by one to your computer in order to have them as MP3's. At least it's a 'do once' task and future proofs your listening (other advantage is that one you have uploaded your music to Google Play, you can listen to it anywhere with bluetooth, or Chromecasts etc)

Of course, this all rests on if you have a smartphone to use in the car and a computer that you can put your CD's into (and the time\patience to go through the process  :D )

If you would like further help with making the above happen, I'm more than happy to assist!

Hello,

Not an answer to your question as such, but there could be a way for you to transition your CD collection into the 'cloud' for free, although it is a little laborious (but ultimately could be worth it in the long run)

Google Play Music offers a function whereby you can upload all of your CD's to their servers, for free (limit is something like 50,000 songs at around 300Mb per song, so plenty for most). This would then give you a Spotify type experience on your phone but using your own music collection. If you have an Android phone, you could use the Android Auto function and have your music collection on screen and browseable 

The long part is ripping each CD one by one to your computer in order to have them as MP3's. At least it's a 'do once' task and future proofs your listening (other advantage is that one you have uploaded your music to Google Play, you can listen to it anywhere with bluetooth, or Chromecasts etc)

Of course, this all rests on if you have a smartphone to use in the car and a computer that you can put your CD's into (and the time\patience to go through the process  :D )

If you would like further help with making the above happen, I'm more than happy to assist!

The problem with the above suggestion is that you will also need a data connection when playing the music. Depending on your mobile phone account, this could prove expensive and if there is an inadequate signal, you will get no music.

I know it is not the answer you are loking for, but the short time it takes to learn how to convert CDs to a format that can be transferred to the SD card really is worth it. And the process is not nearly as long or as daunting as it first seems.

The problem with the above suggestion is that you will also need a data connection when playing the music. Depending on your mobile phone account, this could prove expensive and if there is an inadequate signal, you will get no music.

I know it is not the answer you are loking for, but the short time it takes to learn how to convert CDs to a format that can be transferred to the SD card really is worth it. And the process is not nearly as long or as daunting as it first seems.

Not true, you can choose to cache your music, either by album, artist or playlist on to your phone. Again, once you have the music into the Google servers it's super simple to manage. You could, for example, make a 'Car' Playlist, make it available offline then manage it from the webpage. Simply add\remove etc and it will update the playlist accordingly when on WiFi, not using any mobile data at all

• Like 1

Not true, you can choose to cache your music, either by album, artist or playlist on to your phone. Again, once you have the music into the Google servers it's super simple to manage. You could, for example, make a 'Car' Playlist, make it available offline then manage it from the webpage. Simply add\remove etc and it will update the playlist accordingly when on WiFi, not using any mobile data at all

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs. That sounds very good. Can it be done on an i-phone?

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs. That sounds very good. Can it be done on an i-phone?

Yep, you can install the Google Play Music app on your iPhone too. It has apps for both Android & iOS, and for the laptops\desktops it has a fully functional client in a webpage.

What is even better, is that when you come to uploading your music, as long as it is named correctly the Google servers will just move a copy of the song into your personal locker from their servers (if available) so it doesn't need to upload every single song. Makes the process much quicker! Once it's on the system, you can use any device to listen to your media. As I said previously, also has the benefit of being able to cast your music to a TV if it has a Chromecast installed.

The process, end to end is:

1) Rip your CD's using whatever you feel comfortable with (iTunes is pretty good)

2) Once you have your MP3's, either:

2.i) Go to Play Music (https://play.google.com/music/), sign in and click the top left menu, chose Upload. Or:

2.ii) Download the music manager app, install it and point it the directory where your MP3's live, let it churn through them (this is the method I use, most efficient etc) - https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1075570?hl=en-GB

3) Install the app on your Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.music&hl=en) or iOS (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/google-play-music/id691797987?mt=8) and sign in to your Google account

4) Browse your music, make playlists, mark them for offline use etc

I will say though, if you use an iPhone and use Apple Car Play, I don't think you can get the Play Music app on your display (although you can still play the music via bluetooth), whereas with Android Auto you obviously can

Edited by DBakes
  • Like 1

Much appreciate the ideas proposed by helpful briskoda inputs.

But in my case and as a sad old fart miss the idea of loading up my cd case with 8 or 9 cd's from my 5200 collection of cd.s with the idea of just selecting either just one track or the complete selection..

I really miss the cd/radio as fitted to past motors.

I have in fact used the usb stick method but its not so comfortable

Jake.

• 2 weeks later...

i've gone full balls-out and fired up my old sony walkman for my casettes.

will be trying it later on today. I have 1000's of casettes and CD's that I need to rip to mp3 somehow but in the meantime I'm going retro. Judging by the cold morning mist on my windscreen - it's just as well it's a waterproof walkman....

jeleoto, not quite what you are asking, but if you do have a laptop or desktop computer with a cd/dvd unit fitted then I still think that putting your music onto an SD car is the best and easiest bet. Your entire music collection will go onto a single SD card and once you have installed the card in the SD card slot in the glovebox of you car it can stay there forever if you want it to and you will have ALL your music with you all the time. Imagine trying to have 5200 cd's in your car. Impossible! lol. But the SD card will solve that. In order to put your music onto the SD card, as I say, you only need a laptop and an SD card reader, things many laptops have already. However, if you don't have an SD card reader on your machine, you can buy them for less than £10 and will connect to your laptop or desktop computer by usb connection. I bought mine for just £3.50 and it can read and write to all memory card formats. All you have to do it copy your music onto your laptop and then drag it onto the SD card and it's done. 

If you want to do that and need help then just pm me and I'm happy to advise further. Good luck with your quest!

Edited by Estate Man

jeleoto, not quite what you are asking, but if you do have a laptop or desktop computer with a cd/dvd unit fitted then I still think that putting your music onto an SD car is the best and easiest bet. Your entire music collection will go onto a single SD card and once you have installed the card in the SD card slot in the glovebox of you car it can stay there forever if you want it to and you will have ALL your music with you all the time. Imagine trying to have 5200 cd's in your car. Impossible! lol. But the SD card will solve that. In order to put your music onto the SD card, as I say, you only need a laptop and an SD card reader, things many laptops have already. However, if you don't have an SD card reader on your machine, you can buy them for less than £10 and will connect to your laptop or desktop computer by usb connection. I bought mine for just £3.50 and it can read and write to all memory card formats. All you have to do it copy your music onto your laptop and then drag it onto the SD card and it's done. 

If you want to do that and need help then just pm me and I'm happy to advise further. Good luck with your quest!

i 'll have your help.

Doing exactly that and ripping all my CD's to start with....

Using a windows tower PC, whats the best programme to rip the songs. The one i am using atm is a demo and will run out after 4 days and then I'll have to buy it. 

I also find windows media centre unable to find pics/album covers etc so just wondering which one is best for all that. I like it when the SD card music gives me album covers etc  - looks really smart. 

Thanks 

If you let it do it's thing, it dumps everything in the same place and fairly neatly folders stuff, and it's reliable for accessing Gracenote. Plus free is always good. 

I agree that it's not the best of software, but it's happy enough to just pop up when you insert a CD, give you the option to rip the CD to the computer, and then you're done. 

i 'll have your help.

Doing exactly that and ripping all my CD's to start with....

Using a windows tower PC, whats the best programme to rip the songs. The one i am using atm is a demo and will run out after 4 days and then I'll have to buy it. 

I also find windows media centre unable to find pics/album covers etc so just wondering which one is best for all that. I like it when the SD card music gives me album covers etc  - looks really smart. 

Thanks 

I'd use plain old Windows Media Player. It's free and is pretty good at doing that. I've not found a problem with it finding pics/album cover info. However, if you do a search there are loads of other free programs that will do the job and may just get more info for you.