My 3rd Citigo - My story

peugeot_205_gti

Hi All,

My love for these cars started a few years ago when i realised i needed something cheap and reliable to get around in. The Citigo was a fairly new car when i picked mine up, 2013 if i remember correctly so had no idea if they were reliable or not but never had to worry as it would be under warranty anyway.

I traded in an e36 BMW 320i which was showing its age and needed some money spent on it. I was sad to see her go. 

I ordered a 3dr Skoda Citigo S in white and added on some 15 inch Black alloys, i love the look of it because the S comes with black mirrors and black grill. Even though this was meant to be more basic it actually looked more aggressive to me than the SE model.

When the car arrived i love the way it looked but expected power to be pretty poor and the engine to be noisy coming for a 6 cylinder BMW. The journey home put a massive grin on my face though, i love how basic the Citigo is inside, i cannot stand fancy dials all lit up like a rainbow, the simple and easy to use is enough for me.

After a few miles i realised buying the S model was a big mistake. The seat height could not be adjusted and being 5ft nothing meant i was sitting way too low and there was nothing i could do about it. The other problem i found was the gearbox, not overly smooth 1st to 2nd and i just thought that is how the car drove. Still loved the car but wish i had gone for the SE at this point.

A year later my wife purchased a SE Greentech 5dr with 14 inch wheels as standard. Didn't look half as good as mine but boy did it drive better! Being able to get the correct driving position is crucial for me but i also noticed the gearbox was so much smoother. I think the gearbox may have been revised because the reverse position had changed as well. Being a Greentech it comes with the lower suspension so i think it sits a lot better than a standard one and the ride has still been absolutely brilliant, feels like a much bigger car.

Anyway, i'd had enough of the driving position in the S and needed a bigger car with the little one on the way. I sold the S and went an bought a E46 BMW 330i saloon, m sport which is a vehicle i had always wanted. A lot of car for the money. Searched high and low for a good one but wish i hadn't bothered.

18 months i kept it, externally it was pretty mint, servicing all good etc and low miles but something was never quite right with the way it drove. Something was up with the box, clutch, propshaft. I spent the whole 18 months trying to figure it out and chucked a lot of money at it and every time i did something else went wrong and it was becoming a money pit. I had terrible luck with it and the engine light even come on the day i was taking it to to be valued as a part ex! It came on just after i had it washed, it just wasn't meant to be that car. I have driven 330s before and they are incredible cars but this one was terrible for me. 

I have terrible luck buying used vehicles and always seem better off buying brand new, even financially!

Anyway, after some haggling at my local Skoda Dealer and managed to strike a good deal and have ordered a 5dr Skoda Citigo Colour edition in Spring Green! I needed a car quickly so was unable to ask for the sport/greentech suspension unfortunately but i couldn't wait for a fresh build. The only other colour they had available was the black colour edition but thought i maybe a bit old for it, plus stone chips annoy me.

I had had white one before and my wife had red and i always like the look of the green in the brochure. I am hoping i get the facelift but it seems very unlikely. I'd prefer to use my Android device that a PID you see.

I'll be 170bhp down but about 30 mpg up! I'll also have a car that drives properly. I have always preferred driving my wifes Citigo to using my BMW regardless of power. I am still genuinely really excited to be collecting her this week, i'll be saving a small fortune overall. I plan to put some money aside so i can finally buy an Octavia VRS in 3 years time, i absolutely love them.

Over the years I've driven 205 gtis, Renault Clio Sports, 330d, 330i's but yet the Citigo still brings a smile to my face, all about the fun factor and character 

Currently using a Pug 107 to get around the Citigo is in a different league and i am reminded just how good these cars are for the money, incredible.

I can see the Green Citigo's are quite rare and its probably because most people dislike it or because white, red is the obvious choice.

I hope to pick her up Sunday and admire the Colour combination, 

What are your thoughts on the Spring green Citigo  in the flesh?

I'll post some pics when i can

Cheers

• Like 2

• Administrators

Spring green I like, yellow too. 

I got red, it was in stock and cheaper :) Cost effective motoring has to respect some basic rules. 

I do still miss the bigger power engine cars. But only when out on a busy A or B road and cannot overtake in the citigo. I don't really miss it on the motorway or around town. I quite like the effort to make the citigo go briskly. 

Good to see you on your third. there are lots in stock so options and prices should be good to buy, not so great to sell. But heck we can't take it with us, and you're a long time dead.

my mother has a spring green one, I think it will look nice with black wheels. Don't see many about, we had to go to Western Super mare to get hers.

I saw a lady who must of been in her 60s driving round a Spring Green with the black wheels a day after i put my deposit down and thought have i made a mistake! lol.

mine's green, thing is it always looks clean even though I don't wash it very often, maybe one a fortnight or 3 weeks .wouldn't be my first colour choice but the price was right at the time. Workmates take the p*** but I just think it sits in the car park all day loosing money, and at lot less money than theirs! £15 a week in fuel, taxed it yesterday £20, and £127 FC insurance for myself and wife, gets from A to B in the same time as any other car in rush hour traffic.......suddenly I love Green!!

• Like 1

Spring green doesn't look too bad, but when I was buying I couldn't see the point in paying more for having a colour other than red and spent the equivalent on options instead.

Agreed. I went for the colour edition which is a set price with the choice of 4 colours, red, green, white, black, also got them to knock £400 off the RRP so can't complain

We chose red when ordering my Wife's citigio but in this case i thought i am getting more for my money going green!

The only other colour available within 2 weeks delivery was Black with Black wheels, nice but feel i am maybe a little old for that look? :p

mine's green, thing is it always looks clean even though I don't wash it very often, maybe one a fortnight or 3 weeks .wouldn't be my first colour choice but the price was right at the time. Workmates take the p*** but I just think it sits in the car park all day loosing money, and at lot less money than theirs! £15 a week in fuel, taxed it yesterday £20, and £127 FC insurance for myself and wife, gets from A to B in the same time as any other car in rush hour traffic.......suddenly I love Green!!

haha, i am also going to get ripped by my mates, some of them lucky enough to be driving 16 plate German saloons but aren't even car enthusiasts! Never mind.

May i ask who you are insured with as i will be looking for a better deal myself.

Do you have any pictures of your vehicle? A lot of online pictures use filters so still hard to tell what the colours like in the flesh as i've only even seen once for about 3 seconds!

I wanted the cheapest i could possibly find on a PCP deal, the Citigo was the cheapest and the Colour edition worked out cheapest monthly because it had a higher Guaranteed future value.The GFV worked out more than the monte carlo even, strange but i'll take that because i won't keep the car once out of warranty anyway

• Administrators

Anything more than 8% off list price, it's a good deal, take it :) Otherwise, and I know you've ordered, but the link below gets at least 8% off for cash... finance, that's a whole other can of worms as you eluded to the GFV is a key component. ;)

haha, i am also going to get ripped by my mates, some of them lucky enough to be driving 16 plate German saloons but aren't even car enthusiasts! Never mind.

May i ask who you are insured with as i will be looking for a better deal myself.

Hastings Direct, been with them @5 yrs. this is the cheapest so far, was @£160 2 yrs ago?

Do you have any pictures of your vehicle? A lot of online pictures use filters so still hard to tell what the colours like in the flesh as i've only even seen once for about 3 seconds!

Sorry only small avatar pic