Octavia 1.0 SE Estate

9,500 miles in

Long term dashboard average of 51.1mpg - mostly short hops with about two long journey's a month thrown in.

300 mile round trip over the weekend at 53mpg - with heater, air con and mirror heaters running - and fully laden with two kids and the best beloved...mainly motorway with a few A roads thrown in for good measure

Happy with that

• 4 weeks later...

the computer said 4.8. Must have used 3 hours of Aux heater over the two days, so the driving mileage is better. 

5.1 is, though, IIRC, 55mpg.

I did try to avoid playing too much on the snow, but it was unploughed in places and 80 limited :D 

- Bret

• 1 month later...

Had to fill 0.5l of oil the other day - on the motorway, the orange light came on. Fair enough, refilled some when I got home. 

Now at 29500km and service is due. Too fast, way too fast... 

- Bret

• Thanks 1

I know you are doing a fair number of long journeys but I'm still amazed at the returns you get in those conditions.....

Our last tank on our 1.4tsi was our worst ever, only 715km with 49 litre refill. Seven weeks of really short urban journeys, hot (A/C) weather and my wife doing most of the driving will do that to consumption of course.

Totally different 'real world' to yours.

5000km up now car is still improving in the economy stakes 

1.0 manual

Long term now 6.1l/100km

Still on the same b road big hills 40km round trip everyday,still hasn't been on a good trip and still totally ignoring the eco nanny and not driving with any real regard to economy.

300 mile motorway juant coming up at the end of the week should be interesting.

Recent cold weather/snow has a marked effect on fuel consumption,dipped down to 5.5 or so due presumably to denser colder air as average speeds remained the same might help explain Bterrikivi results

2 hours ago, brettikivi said:

Had to fill 0.5l of oil the other day - on the motorway, the orange light came on. Fair enough, refilled some when I got home. 

Now at 29500km and service is due. Too fast, way too fast... 

- Bret

Which Orange light? Oil Level or Oil Pressure?

I am not sure how accurate Oil Level is with an Engine that is running. AFAIK the Oil Level sensor is fitted to save lifting the bonnet and dipping the level-Ignition On, Engine Off.

Oil Pressure light coming on is a different ball game all together - usually too late to prevent any damage.

the level one. I confirmed on a relatively level surface before home, turned it off at the lights, it told me to check engine oil level with the same level of warnings as the washer fluid.

I'd checked it not too long before and it was OK, but I don't lift the bonnet that often. For me, the orange light says we're at the lower end of the dipstick, things are fine, but you should add soonest. Red is "turn it off now". The car's normally parked with a slight forward tilt so I suspect my dipstick is inaccurate there... need really to read it with VCDS but don't know the measurement block for the Octy. 

- Bret

Each to their own but surely it’s easier and quicker to lift the bonnet and check the dipstick than VCDS? 

Technology is not always the answer, especially when you are looking at a binary sensor, Oil Low or Not Low. Very unlikely to be analogue %.

I come from the A2, where it's almost impossible to get a good reading off the dipstick. Incredibly bad readability means reading mm levels off of the sensor setup is more reliable. I'm a little perturbed that I needed to refill oil, but I don't honestly remember the level when I checked it and it is a new engine so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

- Bret

3 hours ago, brettikivi said:

I come from the A2, where it's almost impossible to get a good reading off the dipstick. Incredibly bad readability means reading mm levels off of the sensor setup is more reliable. I'm a little perturbed that I needed to refill oil, but I don't honestly remember the level when I checked it and it is a new engine so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

- Bret

I don't think the Sensor is going to give you any more than Low/Not Low from my experience with Hella Sensors on Off Highway OEM Engines (Cummins/Kohler/JCB)

I'll have a look when I get the chance. In the mean time, we're now back from service - apparently the mice liked it enough to start building a nest in the engine bay... but the service is done. Long term average was listed as 5.4/100 before the service and I've reset it now. Will be back up north this weekend, so that's a >600km run. Will try to do a brim to brim to see if it's made any difference. 29500km.

- Bret

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2019 at 20:34, rothair said:

I'd love to keep it - not missed a beat - fuel consumption is 51mpg after 16,000 miles - it just cannot take three car seats - such a shame....

You must be doing much longer runs than us - we're at 44mpg after 13,000 miles. Get it on a good motorway run and it's happily up at between 55-60mpg, we just do too much short distance local driving to keep it any higher.

That said, it's 10mpg better than our old 1.4 Roomster managed :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Mr Statto said:

You must be doing much longer runs than us - we're at 44mpg after 13,000 miles. Get it on a good motorway run and it's happily up at between 55-60mpg, we just do too much short distance local driving to keep it any higher.

That said, it's 10mpg better than our old 1.4 Roomster managed :thumbup:

I'm not sure when adaptive cruise control became available but I find it makes a significant improvement to my fuel economy, even on relatively short journeys.

When I'm just driving off the throttle pedal I have a tendency to drive in a lower gear than the car really needs to be in, such as third and fourth. I think this because I'm expecting to need to accelerate just that little bit more before selecting the next gear, when I reality the car in front of me never actually goes any quicker.

Conversely, I find that when I control the cars speed using the adaptive cruise I tend to put the car in the highest possible gear for the given road speed sooner and then leave it in that gear for as long as possible. Just the other day I'd averaged 61 MPG over just 7 miles. 

• 4 months later...

so, an update at now around 50kkms.

Averages on fuel are consistent now with winter or summer tyres and limits, being around 5.3l/100. That is without any attention being paid to consumption, but early shifts (mostly), relatively low speeds and not much traffic. 

I don't find it to be particularly lacking in power, but then again I'm generally driving lightly laden and with one-two people on-board.  If we were constantly full - full boot, four people - I'd probably want more, but for what we do it's fine.

I'm in agreement that there's not much below around 1700rpm and the turbo really seems to kick for me past around 3k rpm. It's something that I'm now used to and really quite enjoy the rolling starts we get at the end of roadworks with 60 up to 120... drop it into third and away you go.

Noise-wise, this particular car is very good. I'd like to take it to Germany at some point to do some real cruising, but until then, 120km/h is about it and I have no strange noises or anything else - it's simply a very capable car that we're considering keeping well beyond the end of the four-year leasing period which is up next September.

So far, too, there have been zero issues apart from the dodgy headlamp aim. I just went through inspection / Katsastus here without any issues at all, which is the way it should be for a 50k km, 3yr old car.

Washed it today in the rain, winter tyres going on today, too, as we're off up north next weekend and there will be +2 or so for most of Saturday and Sunday, so it's time for them to go on, even if it is a little early.

- Bret