Cleaning the MAF sensor, any advice?

devhdc

I saw a video on yotube on this, and from what i've seen of the engine bay on mine it seemed to match fairly well with what was presented in the video below:

NOw, beyond that, anyone got any tips, tricks or advice for Me regarding cleaning or dismantlig that sensor? Otherwise I'll just get on with it, and use the special spray i got from CRC and hope the 'hesitation' i feel is resolved, if not i'll replace the fuel filter too, after changing out the airfilter to a pipercross sportflow one as they've been lauded on this forum.

IMO,That's not the best way to do it.

You can remove just the sensor part ( 2 torx security screws) no need to remove the MAF housing or the air box.

Freezer bag with enough Isopropal in it to immerse the sensor in & give it a good shake for a few minutes, then let it dry out for a few minutes. Always worked for me & many others.

Edited by pauldazzle

What do you mean by hesitation exactly? There are a few things that can cause that on the 1.8t (if that's what you have of course)

It's most pronounced in second gear, i hit the gas, basically flooring it, it hits say 3500 rpm or so and loses power momentarily, but then hits the turbo again .. It's sort of the same sensation as though you were driving an automatic with kickdown, except im not changing gears. BUt in fifth gear it'll only take me to about 100 mph before the power kinda stalls out, and as i've been watching the smoke from the tailpipe i know the turbo is fine anyway.. So i was told the most likely culprits was either the MAF, or the fuel filter, and checking service history the current fuel filter must've done close too 120K miles.. And as cleaning the MAF seems easy enough i thought it'd be an excellent first thing to check and clean.

It could also be a vacuum leak, N75 valve or even the throttle body. Mine can be the same, any more than 3/4 throttle it will kangaroo slightly in the same way, not tracked it down yet, as I rarely use full throttle anyway

Ive been chasing the source of my boost surging for years now. Without spend too much money replcing this, that and the other.

Ive carried out a boost leak test numerous times, if leaks are found i replace hoses. To simplify the problem i deleted the N112 and N249, secondary air pump, fuel carbon canister and added the popular oil catch tank upgrade. All helps bit still the issue is there.

My car is mapped, running a 2.75" straight through system, decatted, Forge FMDV008 with yellow spring and cold air intake, egr delete and TIP. Ive replaced oil pumps and updated the coolant temp sensor. Yesterday i bit the bullet and purchased a genuine Bosch MAF and brand new N75E valve from an S3 ( due to map and decat went to higher spike valve). Neither of these cured my issue but has made the car alot smoother to drive. But WOT causes a horrible 'hold back' feel. Car doesnt misfire just feels as if its hitting some sort of 'safe' map.

For me i think its a fueling issue. I do have slightly leaking injectors as the tops of the cups that sit in ths inlet mani are moist and golden. Also all my spark plugs are actually white. Indicating the car is running lean (not good).

My point is, check everything you can your self for the cheapest answer before throwing money at it. Cleaning the MAF never actually worked for me unfortunately. Hopefully you find a simple vac line split :)

• Like 1