Updating Amundsen, probably best I ask rather than regret it

So I'm on my first Octavia with built in SatNav and it seems its an Amundsen system.  Although I'm still a stand alone satnav fan, I have been using it when I've forgotten the TomTom and now find that an update is available.  I've watched the Skoda update video and read the instructions and I am still not 100% clear - so although these questions may seem odd please can someone just clear things up in my mind so that I don't entirely brick the system?  NB.  You may assume that I am quite IT literate - I've just not done this routine previously

1.  It talks about using a 32GB SD card.  There are two SD slots in the car - one of them currently filled with what I understand is the SatNav card.  Do I put the update directly onto the existing SD card, or do I download it to a separate 32GB SD card and place that in the 2nd slot and does it then update the master files in slot 1 from slot 2 

2.  It seems the download is a ZIP file, do I have to unzip it before it installs onto the final SD Card (whichever this is - see 1.) or is there a built in extractor/installation prog. that does all that for me?

3.  In case it all goes pear shaped is there a recommended way to back-up the existing card prior to doing any of this?

Many thanks for your help

1.  It talks about using a 32GB SD card.  There are two SD slots in the car - one of them currently filled with what I understand is the SatNav card.  Do I put the update directly onto the existing SD card, or do I download it to a separate 32GB SD card and place that in the 2nd slot and does it then update the master files in slot 1 from slot 2 

2.  It seems the download is a ZIP file, do I have to unzip it before it installs onto the final SD Card (whichever this is - see 1.) or is there a built in extractor/installation prog. that does all that for me?

3.  In case it all goes pear shaped is there a recommended way to back-up the existing card prior to doing any of this?

Many thanks for your help

You have an Octavia III with Amundsen?

If so then you MUST use an original Skoda SD card, it will not work with any other SD card (they write hidden information onto the card into a secure area).

So what you have to do is:

1) check you have downloaded the Amundsen map update (which is 6GB) and not the Columbus update (which is 24+GB)

2) remove the map SD card from the SD2 slot

3) copy ALL the information from it onto somewhere safe on your PC

4) delete all the files and folders on the SD card, or just format it

5) unzip the downloaded Amundsen update into the root of the SD card

6) put the SD card back into the SD2 slot

Hi PetrolDave, I was quite OK with the above (many thanks BTW) until I reached the Ouch bit of delete all files off of the SD card.  Not that I won't attempt it, but it makes it sound more like something to be approached with a due degree of care.

In terms of have I got an Octavia III with Amundsen?   Well I am assuming its Amundsen.  I bought the car (an Elegance) early second hand in the spring, I was lucky and it is considerably over-specced for even an Elegance, but I've never known exactly what system it had until I dug out all the supplied books earlier today (now that sounds daft, but I'd just been using the whole system on instinct until then - I'm not big on books until I can't work something out and most things work logically).  As part of the books is one that says 'Infotainment Navigation Amundsen Owner's Manual'  Hence my assumption that the nav system will be Amundsen and I've no idea if that is standard for that car or not, but as I explained above I've just started to play with it and have discovered that it can be updated.  I know that the SD is a special one as I was given the genuine Skoda box it came in so I was fairly certain that I'd be told that I needed to use the original card, but it was def. worth checking.  Mind you I might as well confess that I still haven't had the guts to try the parking assist LOL

Hi PetrolDave, I was quite OK with the above (many thanks BTW) until I reached the Ouch bit of delete all files off of the SD card.  Not that I won't attempt it, but it makes it sound more like something to be approached with a due degree of care.

In terms of have I got an Octavia III with Amundsen?   Well I am assuming its Amundsen.

If you've copied the files off the SD card onto a safe place on your PC then there's no problem deleting them as you can always copy them back :angel:

I too have a well spec'd Elegance (bought second hand).

An easy way to tell if you have an Amundsen or Columbus is to remove the map SD card from the SD2 slot and try to use sat nav - the Amundsen reads the map data directly from the SD card but the Columbus copies the map data to its internal hard drive.

So if sat nav still works with no map SD card in slot SD2 then you have a Columbus, but if the sat nav only works with a map SD card in slot SD2 then you have an Amundsen :sun:

• 2 weeks later...

Having just done it with my Elegance I followed this set of steps. Go to http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com and put in your VIN and then click on Find Updates. Of the two you get returned the top is for the Eastern European countries so pick and download the second one at 12G. The initial download is short as it is just the downloader application if on Windows, start that once downloaded and it then takes a good few hours to download the map update. Once that has been achieved the downloader process asks you to specify the card location to unzip to, so get the map card out of slot 1 of the Amundsen, connect it to your computer and select it as the destination. The process will first delete all on the card then add the new map data to it. Once completed you just put it back into card slot 1 of the Amundsen unit.

Mark

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone noticed this, my Brother has just downloaded ECE 2017 for the Amundsen in his Octavia 3 and has come across an issue.

Now when you enter a postcode you cannot put a space between the 2 parts of the postcode as the space key is "greyed out"; a minor inconvenience you may think, however it means that now any locations in "Previous Destinations" cannot be read as they have the space between the 2 parts of the postcode!  :(

Anyone noticed this, my Brother has just downloaded ECE 2017 for the Amundsen in his Octavia 3 and has come across an issue.

Now when you enter a postcode you cannot put a space between the 2 parts of the postcode as the space key is "greyed out"; a minor inconvenience you may think, however it means that now any locations in "Previous Destinations" cannot be read as they have the space between the 2 parts of the postcode!  :(

Been mentioned in several posts on here already that the 2017 map update won't allow spaces in postcodes.

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

Been mentioned in several posts on here already that the 2017 map update won't allow spaces in postcodes.

At least its not the unit playing up then, its rubbish that they change things from one update to the next though!