2007 vrs estate problem

Well I'm new to the forum and also new to the skoda brand, purchased my first skoda last Saturday everything was fine on the test drive etc.

Monday last week started to feel a bit of a rumble in the car.

Tuesday same thing

Wednesday started to get a bit more frequent, thought it may be a coil pack

Thursday checked the coil packs as had no improvement, nothing

Friday checked on a obd2 no faults

Saturday took to garage for a check over and couldn't see anything un towards

Sunday didn't use the car

This morning my wife was toddling along minding her own business when had a massive bang, struggling with gears etc, managed to nurse it to the garage to find one of the engine mounts had shattered to pieces.

Car was bought from a garage and has a 3 month warranty with it only problem is I live nearly 100 miles from the garage I purchased from.

is it worth chasing it up with the garage or just stump up the cash and get it fixed ?

Can you not contact the warranty company & explain what has happened & get them to let the garage thats near you to fix it? have you spoke to the garage that sold it to you? they cant expect you to drive it all that way with this fault so they may pay the other garage to fix it. 

If the car is under warranty then the garage should collect it without any charge and provide you with a loan car whilst yours is in for repair.

quick update:

Got in touch with the garage I had the car from, took 3 hours to get back to me, only for them to tell me to drive the car up to the garage( nearly 100 miles). Told them I couldn't as the mount had gone and the engine was hitting the bonnet.

Another 3 hours go by and I get an email saying give me the details of the garage where the car is. So I did, 2 days later no reply no phone call to the mechanic etc

In the meantime I've spoke to the mechanic and told him to do the work, so there's another expense out of my own pocket.

dont know if I'm allowed to name the garage but here goes

Motorseeker UK, 468 Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 8LP | Telephone: 01246 269013

Id ring them up & ask them to pay the bill from the other garage,if they wont do this then leave them a nasty review on their website,sadly this can happen when you buy a car miles away from the selling garage,if it had been local to you then you may have been able to get them to collect it & repair it free of charge.

If you have the time, you could then open up a claim via the small claims court.

Depends on the type of garage you purchased from, and if you are likely to get anything from it.

Apart from them being idiots (assuming they knew it was the engine mount) by asking you to drive the car to them, at least they wanted the car and hopefully intended mending it.

Is it their own warranty or through another company? You may need to apply to the company directly.

Id take the bill to them and take the faulty part. They should reimburse you the costs but if they dont I would say you will take to a small claims court and see what they say. Keep all the emails and write down times of conversations and what each conversation was about. Courts like seeing evidence and would work in your favour.

• Like 1

did it have a cambelt change before you bought it?

I ask because the offside engine mount needs to be undone and the engine dropped to change the belt and there have been reports of incorrectly re-fitted mounts failing after belt changes

Scratch that - just realised yours is a petrol...

Edited by skomaz

Just a word of warning - you may have trouble claiming the repair costs back as their website clearly states:

If you require a repair, you are legally required to give us reasonable time to complete that repair.  If you choose to take the car elsewhere for a repair you cannot claim back any money that you pay out.

I can see them arguing that you didn;t give them time to effect a repair themselves...

Just a word of warning - you may have trouble claiming the repair costs back as their website clearly states:

If you require a repair, you are legally required to give us reasonable time to complete that repair.  If you choose to take the car elsewhere for a repair you cannot claim back any money that you pay out.

I can see them arguing that you didn;t give them time to effect a repair themselves...

And exactly what they were hoping for, no doubt.

did it have a cambelt change before you bought it?

I ask because the offside engine mount needs to be undone and the engine dropped to change the belt and there have been reports of incorrectly re-fitted mounts failing after belt changes

Scratch that - just realised yours is a petrol...

The op's car is a 2007 so it will have a cambelt as its the TFSI engine so you may well be correct. 

And exactly what they were hoping for, no doubt.

well it was either stump up the cash or be up **** creek as its mine and the wife's shared/ only car,

Just had a personal email from the owner of the company told me I have got to ring him as soon as possible.

It's not the work not being taken out it's the disrespectful lack of communication.

I dont see how they can claim they had reasonable time to sort it. 2 days and no phone call is unacceptable for any business and any small claims court would agree. It takes about 5 mins to phone a garage to find out what the issue is. It also takes about 5 mins to arrange a transporter to collect the car and bring it back to them to fix. If they try the you didnt give us chance routine Id ask them how many days do they need to do two quick tasks?

Edited by Ecomatt

As you have just purchased the vehicle you could always refuse it and ask for a refund. You do not have to give them an opportunity to fix the problem no matter what they claim. If on finance ask the finance company for help.

Has it been in an accident?

Where is the noise from? Tyres, brakes, wheel brgs, steering all okay?

Have known mounts to be out of alignment maybe slacken them off and drive very slowly then torque them up. Gearbox mounts can be a problem also drive shafts

If unable to carry out the work yourself and you want to keep the car you will have to book it into a garage. From years of experience noises can be problematic.

As you have just purchased the vehicle you could always refuse it and ask for a refund. You do not have to give them an opportunity to fix the problem no matter what they claim. If on finance ask the finance company for help.

Has it been in an accident?

Where is the noise from? Tyres, brakes, wheel brgs, steering all okay?

Have known mounts to be out of alignment maybe slacken them off and drive very slowly then torque them up. Gearbox mounts can be a problem also drive shafts

If unable to carry out the work yourself and you want to keep the car you will have to book it into a garage. From years of experience noises can be problematic.

the original judder is kinda hard to explain, it doesn't sound as if something is loose it just feels I dunno.....lumpy? I don't know if even that is the right description lol but when the engine mount snapped I thought ahh it must of just been that. But it's still there now, also to top things off just had my log book through this morning and they have spelt my name wrong ffs. Did I mention this **** respray on the passenger side door aswel? Wrong colour and orange peeled like ****

No mechanic to be seen just a sales man and a still drunk from the night before teenager taking the photos of the cars for the website.

Think my next steps are either small claims or a refund and start the hunt for a vrs all over again

Edited by Stokiekris

Think my next steps are either small claims or a refund and start the hunt for a vrs all over again

If you mean this, I would say get a refund if you are unhappy with the car.

I know I mentioned 'small claims' first, but I guess this might drag on and if the seller is a stubborn (or sly) bugger, you may struggle to get any money out of him, even when backed up by the courts.

I think a refund would be easier to attain as you could even involve trading standards if necessary. I'm not a solicitor though so could be wrong..

Good luck.

Edited by Tilt

Sounds like it could be the egr valve sticking slightly.

You are covered under the consumer rights act and can reject a car upto 6 months from the date of purchase. I would speak with the garage and see what they say. If you dont get any joy id quote you will speak to trading standards about breaching the consumer rights act and see what they say. Usually trading standards take on these cases so make sure you document everything.

Sounds like it could be the egr valve sticking slightly.

You are covered under the consumer rights act and can reject a car upto 6 months from the date of purchase. I would speak with the garage and see what they say. If you dont get any joy id quote you will speak to trading standards about breaching the consumer rights act and see what they say. Usually trading standards take on these cases so make sure you document everything.

taking it to a garage near me on Saturday (Gt motorsports) in Stoke on Trent for a diagnosis, can't speak highly enough of the garage or the mechanics. If there's something wrong I'll be straight on the phone to the garage I bought from. Other than that I think the car is ace