New car bedding in time?

WaveyDavey

Hi all,

So we've had our new Citigo for a month and a half now. It's done around 1300 miles so far but I was wondering at what point people noticed the engine starting to loosen up?

I only ask as just after getting the Citigo I had a one year old Up! which had done around 8000 miles as a courtesy car while the Superb was being serviced and I noticed it just felt a bit more responsive and maybe even slightly more powerful compared to our Citigo.

The Up! was also a 60ps car like ours so it wasn't that it was a 75ps car etc....

Ours just seems to run out of oomph at times on hills, (You can have your foot to the floor and there's just no pull there), where as the Up! I had didn't seem to have any issues on the same roads etc...

Yeah he was saying he just wouldn't be able to warrant paying the extra to get a similar spec Up! for what was a slight change of styling.

He obviously has them for the garage to keep with the VW image but this was in conversation about his out of work opinion. Him and his mrs had a good look over and in ours when I called in there the other week.

I can't say I noticed a particular point at which there was any change, but the mpg did slowly improve.  Mind you, I did drive quite gently for the first 1000 miles and even now I rarely have my foot to the floor - coming from more powerful cars (and a turbo diesel), I've sort of got out of the habit of mashing the accelerator and just accept that my little Citigo isn't going to be as fast.

Hi, I had the 60ps green tech and now have the 75ps sel. I found with both of them that they loosened up properly between 2 - 3000 miles. They are never going to perform like a formula 1 car, however they are a joy to drive! Yes, you will need to drop a cog on a steep incline but they're a rev happy little engine - I love em! Also remember, that courtesy cars are driven by everyone and when driven by an 18 year old who's producing to much testosterone they will soon bed in, I'm sure you will be delighted with it! By the way, below 4000 rpm there is no difference on acceleration between the two variants. The 75ps is only felt above 4000.

I much prefer the Citigo to the UP, the build quality is on a par with the UP, the front styling is much less girly and if I'm going to be hit up the rear I'd rather have some metal between me and the car behind rather than a piece of glass. Enjoy, I'm sure you will be delighted with it! Cheers.

• Like 1