Parking sensors doing my head in

DriveMeBananas

I have a high spec yeti, the parking sensors die when it rains. Water seems to get into one of the sensors and it kills the entire system.

I have a reversing camera, the camera is killed with the sensors.

Is there a way to code out the parking sensors and keep the camera, I can live without the sensors, but need the camera.

The car is 2 years old and is under warranty but I am sick of the dealer who shafted me for £1500 last month and have been unable to fix this issue twice.

I have VCDS if it can be used to turn the sensors off?

The car is 2 years old and is under warranty but I am sick of the dealer who shafted me for £1500 last month and have been unable to fix this issue twice.

Could you please explain what the £1500 was charged for?

The car is used for driving instruction, I had dual controls fitted. There is are two cables which run behind the console between the passenger footwell and the driver footwell, one of these cables squeezed the air conditioning drain pipe which cause water to pour out of the top of the AC unit into the passenger footwell via the cabin air filter housing. This caused the passenger footwell to fill with water over 2 years.

I put the car into have work carried out under the warranty. One of the jobs was to look into the water ingress problem, I wrote on the job card no work to be carried out not covered by warranty. I pointed the dealer in the direction of the AC system being the problem.

Rather than sticking a bore scope up the AC drain hose they competely removed the interior from the car, seats, trims, carpets, insulation the lot. 

They then phoned me up and told me that I had to pay them £1500 or I could have the car back with no interior. 

I contacted Skoda UK customer care they told me it was my own fault, not covered by warranty, tough **** pay up.

Then last week the dual mass flywheel and clutch failed at 38,000 miles, I did not even bother speaking to Skoda about that. If they would not help with a water leak caused by their crap drain design I doubt they would pay for a clutch for a driving school car. lmao

Anyway I am paying £500 a month car finance for a heap of crap that now doesnt even let me use the camera which is needed to pass the trailer hitching exercise during the trailer driving test.

So I have now bought a £20 camera system from Ebay in place of the £2000 factory fitted reversing camera and columbus head unit.

1/ The person who fitted the dual control system and therefore damaged the vehicle is at fault, and Skoda are correct that it is nothing to do with them. You should be pursuing them for damages.

2/ Re the clutch, you have to prove to Skoda that the fault was theirs, and as you admit to using the car as a driving school car I think you might have a problem doing that.

3/ A reversing camera is not a requirement for the towing test. I know plenty of people who have taken (and passed) their test in vehicles that do not have them fitted.

4/ If the reverse sensors are still working when the trailer is plugged in then your car has not been correctly reprogrammed following the fitting of the tow bar and electrics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If one of your reversing sensors packs up in the wet then the next time it does it, with the engine off and ignition on, put the car in reverse and go to the back of the car and listen to each sensor in turn, they should all be making a faint clicking sound. Find the one which isn't clicking and you have found your faulty sensor.

I agree with Graham, if the dual control set up was the cause of your problem then the installers should be liable for any damage caused by the equipment they installed.

Ian.

Hardly a surprise that there's some scepticism on SUK's part surrounding aftermarket equipment causing a fault and warranty on the clutch on a learner driver vehicle where the clutch will be used incorrectly (albeit unintentionally) as part of its daily use...