Need more bass - Standard Bolero unit

Hi,

First post after changing from A4 Quattro to MY14 Octavia VRS Tdi.

After just a week of use I am finding the sound system pretty underwhelming compared to my Audi - which had rear subwoofer. (Non-bose system)

Was wondering what are my options to improve this? I would love to swap out for Amundsen or Columbus (but not sure if that's possible/in my budget) as this would also give me Smartlink/Mirrorlink which I don't have.

Should I be going down the amp/sub route - will this plug/play with the Bolero?

Do the speakers need replacing - I'd rather not do this as pulling door cards etc never really goes back as snug.

Anyone out there with a similar setup who could offer any suggestions on a £100-£200 budget?

Don't want window rattling bass - just feel the sound is nut as 'full' as I'm used to.

Cheers,

Alan

Have a look under the "ICE etc" sub forum on here - lots of folk with the same wishing for more bass.

Probably most cost effective is to get a secondary amp and speaker in the back somewhere. There are some integrated amp/speaker units. Then its just a matter of installing it somewhere and wiring it in. For getting the audio signal the best way to do this is to tap off the speaker wiring using a high-to-low level converter box. 

• Like 1

Thanks TDIum,

I had gone through up to page 60 of this forum reading any relevant posts - never looked on ICE. I appreciate the fact nobody gave the 'try searching' answer. 

I'll now try searching in the correct place...

I would change the whole unit - I have the same Bolero and I notice that mine inconsistently changes the amount of output bass.

This would make it unreliable, even if you add an amp+sub.

Change to a 3rd party head unit that doesn't do processing - either Alpine or Pioneer.

Thanks Jaco2k,

I don't want to lose any of the interfaces ie. MFSW/maxidot so thought OEM would be the best option. Will do a bit more reading on this and make a decision after Christmas. 

Thanks Jaco2k,

I don't want to lose any of the interfaces ie. MFSW/maxidot so thought OEM would be the best option. Will do a bit more reading on this and make a decision after Christmas.

The two units I just mentioned integrate perfectly with all the car systems - you don't loose nothing. They are specifically made for this car.

If you search for a post by me you should get some ideas. I've recently fitted an amp, Sub and new front speakers into mine. Much much better than the original setup. Still need to properly finish mine but I've just put the amp and sub in the spare wheel well!