Goodbye vRS.

After 5 years and 4 months I have decided to move on from my Fabia vRS. This has been a very difficult decision as it has been one of the most enjoyable cars I have owned (I'll even forgive it the engine change after high oil consumption in the early days!). As a fast commuting to work car it was perfect and in my opinion the 1.4 twin charger engine / DSG gearbox combination is hard to beat for speed, excitement, safe overtaking, relaxing town driving and economy. The car always looked great in green and black and remained a rare beast in my neck of the woods.

So what did I go for as a replacement? I narrowed the choice down to the Fiesta ST, new Polo GTI or even a MX5 Mk4. In the end I part exchanged the vRS for a nearly new Polo 1.8 GTI with manual gearbox. This is similar but in a way a more grown up car, which can be relaxed and comfortable to drive when you want it to be. Many things are better such as the headlights, interior trim and 'info-tainment' system. The torque from the 1.8 engine is impressive. Handling is good enough. Reliability should be better than the Fabia vRS. I'm learning to have to change gear again!

Negatives are fuel consumption (early days), less storage space and on some bad roads the ride can be a little choppy. It is however a great car to drive and looks much better than the Fiesta ST (the ride also is not as harsh).

Edited by Gizmo68
Non freedom selling
  • Like 3

Sad to let go Big Sheep but enjoy the new motor. My missus really loves her Polo GTI 1.8 DSG with bells and whistles, after her two Fabia  vRS mk2.

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat, BS. I'm really struggling to find a replacement for the vRS (after five years of ownership) - my head is all over the place with regards to a replacement.

• Like 4

I love my vRS Brian ???? nice and standard even down to the nice German lady shouting at me when I use my Handsfree ????, really must find a way too sort this little problem out...oh and exhaust was all good buddy, garage said nothing wrong?

• Like 1

I think I changed it from English to German by accident not long after I got the car - I didn't use the voice activation, so I never bothered consulting the manual to change it back (my phone was paired and I just occasionally used Bluetooth to play music).

If my existing 15" winter wheels don't sell this weekend I'll try one on the front of the Polo to see if it fits and clears the brakes.

I was working on the fact that the German TUV winter tyre approvals for the Polo GTI are for 195/50R16 or 205/45R16 tyres. VW market 16" winter wheels for this car. I don't want to fall foul on insurance.

The TUV Serienbereifung winter tyre approval for the Fabia II CAVE (vRS) is 185/55R15 85H M+S    -   therefore 15" rims. One advantage of this is you get a very comfortable ride in the winter on the much fatter tyres!

As it stands it is damn difficult to get insurers to cover alternative wheel sizes for winter tyres without upping your premium for a 'modification'. So far I have got Adrian Flux, Axa and Swiftcover to send me statements to say that they will cover me without any extra charge. Iincredibly some companies have refused to offer cover.

Thanks Dan. I have to say that I have found advisors at Adrian Flux generally knowledgable and helpful, which is more than can be said for certain car insurers. Best for kit car insurance as well.

Edited by Gizmo68

Brian69, the wheels on the polo are 'Serron' black diamond cut alloys.

I've now had two weeks ownership of the polo and I'm enjoying it but it is quiet a bit different in character to the Fabia. On my commute to work I can get upto 40 mpg if driven reasonably carefully. If you drive it like you stole it, it will return mid twenties (never saw that on the vRS) but saying that the GTI actually tends to encourage sensible driving. The manual box is actually very good to use with a short, slick throw although the spacing of the ratios could be better. I much prefer a DSG when stuck in town traffic but on an open road manual is better. Seats are very comfortable, there are no shakes or rattles and it has much more of a premium feel compared to the Skoda. Not sure I would have paid full price for one of these but I got a reasonable deal on a nearly new. Time will tell whether this will be a long term keeper.

• Like 1

Thanks Big Sheep. Arnold has a few 66 plate Polo GTIs with a sticker price of £16,500 (all three of them only have delivery miles on the clock).

Edited by Brian69

It's a pre reg., George - it has only 12 miles on the clock (slightly more after my test drive). Arnold has the full range of colours, but I went for white (after initially being set on black). I don't know the ins and outs but they can't sell it until 26 Jan or the FCA will be onto them apparently... - no idea how it works! It's now going into Arnold's compound until next month - I'm not too bothered about waiting until next month but slightly earlier in January would have been good.

• Like 1

I'm not far off the stage where a wig will be needed :D .

Aye, once I've got the granny shopping trolley give me a shout next time you're heading down to Ayrshire :thumbup:  .