Bonelorry's Steel Grey MK6 Golf R DSG...

bonelorry

Well done for getting a great deal, nice looking car. I run TD 1.2's on my kit car, nice enough wheel. Though I would consider OZ Alleggeritas, a slightly thinner spoke and less spokes iirc and bit more up market and more suited to the Golf imo.

Happy motoring.:)

• Like 1

11/12/16...

Damn Awesome GTI having a 2 day Sale with 20% off on Volkswagen Racing Dampers & Spring combo's...

Had to take full advantage of the offer and have ordered the following...

: Volkswagen Racingline Performance Shock Absorbers

: Volkswagen Racingline Performance Springs (VWR)

: Superpro Anti Lift Kit

That is as far as i ever intend to go with the chassis, I don't drive my cars hard enough to warrant going full on with Bilstein Coilovers, Anti Roll Bars and full Polybushing but figure the items I have purchased will be a suble step up over the OE set-up with a very small drop in ride height and without being too firm for daily use.

Will also get the 4 Wheel alignment done afterwords :)

• Like 3

15/12/16...

Another job ticked off the list done today...

: Wheel Removal

: Deep clean on Wheels including backs using Bilberry, Then re-washed after using Wash Mitt and towel dried

: All Centre Caps lined up with Tyre Valves

: Brake Calipers Detailed/Painted Black (These where de-greased, Rubbed down using 1200 Grit paper to provide a good key)

: Brake Disc Bells Detailed/Painted Silver

: Brake Disc Guards Painted Black

I know I am fitting the TD Pro Race 1.2's at some point over the next Month but I didn't want to fit Brand New Wheels with Dull looking Brake Calipers and Rusty Disc Bells, So at least now when the new Wheels go on everything else will look the part!

Having inspected all the Tyres currently fitted on the car I can confirm they are wearing nice and even with no irregular wear on the edges, The steering is slightly offset though so the geometry wants doing plus as the Suspension is getting replaced it is the ideal time to get it all set up afterwords.

However I did want to retain the 2 x Rear Tyres which are Michelin PS3's and fit them on the Pro Race 1.2's and then buy a new matching pair for the Front but one of them has had a Puncture Repair carried out which although not the end of the world I would feel much better having a new set fitted all round. Also as the PS3 is now quite a dated Tyre and has been replaced by the PS4 I was limiting myself to getting some more PS3's just to match up.

What I think I will do is buy a full set of 4 New Tyres, I will keep the Talledega's as a spare set of wheels with the Tyres they have currently got fitted.

So a set of Michelin PS4's sound any good then?

A couple of pictures from today, No Before or During as it has been such a dull and grim day with not much light, I was sat under the Car Port with a Halogen light in the Wheel Arch while I was painting LOL...Commitment.

31546785031_292884d333_c.jpg

31516462882_87344fdfae_c.jpg

31625759766_a6f21f509f_c.jpg

31516451012_20d5991b16_c.jpg

• Like 1

19/12/16...

Well the Suspension arrived at my partners work last Friday but as I was on an afternoon out drinking for a friends Birthday I left it there for the Weekend, Back on early shifts this Week so called over on my way home after work today and picked everything up.

Really looking forward to getting this fitted and hopefully it will be in the 1st Week of January!

Couple of pics...

Volkswagen Racingline Sports Suspension Kit, VWR30G60R which is the same part number as the MK5 R32 Kit. The GTI/Edition 30 and everything else with the 55MM Front Strut has a different Part number...

31743575735_09af13029d_c.jpg

31743575665_28f1e0bc5b_c.jpg

31743575985_a51fcbbef1_c.jpg

31743575425_9f440e7020_c.jpg

31370490790_aec6ae9749_c.jpg

Superpro ALK...

31705917236_ca1f9d15ca_c.jpg

31370490530_19503831da_c.jpg

• Like 1

22/12/16...

A small update but something that has done my head in since day 1 of owning the car was the Number Plates, They where both different makes and where screwed on. Not the end of the world but the screws on the front Plate where not lined up and looked a mess IMO.

Also a nice new pair or Plates freshens the look of the car.

Supplied by Jepsons in Sheffield, Went for the Plain Design rather the GB Style Euro Plates...

31806291495_dd324eeca3_c.jpg

Decided not to drill the new plates and fixed them using Bestplate Double Sided Adhesive Strips, 5 x per Plate...

31806288575_2f1c4762c7_c.jpg

31806290175_37f18e36e9_c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Firstly Happy New Year to everyone and hope you all had a decent Xmas?

Not done much with the car since fitting the plates due to Xmas and work commitments, Finished working a row of late shifts on NYE and have got this Week off now so if all goes to plan I should be able to make some decent progress with the car  :party:

Wednesday...

Booked into my friends workshop in the morning and will be fitting the...

: Volkswagen Racingline Performance Spring and Damper Kit

: Superpro Anti lift Kit

: Full Geometry/4-Wheel alignment Set-Up

Thursday...

As mentioned earlier in the thread I was going to order a set of New Tyres from Camskill but with Xmas and New Year they where not processing/dispatching any orders until 3/1/17 with an estimated delivery date towards the end of this Week and meaning I would have had to wait about for the delivery to arrive I decided not to place the order with them last Week.

I made a quick call to chap that I purchased the Pro Race 1.2's from and enquired about some Tyres from him, Although he could not match Camskill's price he was only £5 per Tyre more expensive and will have a set in for me on Thursday morning. Added bonus is that he is a 5 Min drive away from my house so I can just call in and collect them and do not have to wait in for a delivery that never arrives.

: Set of 4 New Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, 225/40R18 92Y XL Fitment

: Brand New Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's in Gloss Black, 18" x 8J, 5 x 112, Machined with correct 57.1MM Centre Bore so no Spigots.

I will be using a friends workshop and fitting the Tyres myself, If possible I always prefer to do my own Tyres to ensure the wheels stay unmarked during the Tyre fitment. I worked for Goodyear for 8 Years as a Manager so I am perfectly capable and qualified.

I will hopefully fit the wheels at home and will be giving the wheel arches a detail at the same time.

Saturday...

Nice early start, Have an appointment at 8AM with a well known tuning company....Booked in with Mr Gower @ R-Tech! Managed to secure a last minute cancellation so very lucky indeed as they generally have a 3 Month waiting list!

: R-Tech Custom Stage 1 Re-Map

: R-Tech DSG Map

As mentioned earlier in the thread I have opted to do the Suspension, Wheels, Tyres etc and just stick with a Stage 1 map for now which will give decent gains over stock and offer more than enough performance for now. Then over the next few Months I will be booking in with Nige @ BCS for a Full Turbo Back Powervalve and also purchasing a new Loba Motorsport HPFP and RS4 Return Valve and then re-visiting R-Tech to go Stage 2+.

So hopefully it will be a totally different car by this time next Week!

This will be my 4th visit to R-Tech now on 4 different car, This time however I have a DSG so no worries with regards to Clutch Slip and as its 4wd don't have to go for a Linear Pedal Map either.

My last 6R made 313BHP and 340LB/FT at Stage 1 but was totally standard, I don't go chasing figures but it would be nice for my current 6R to make similar numbers.

The car has had the following in the past Month 500 Miles so should hopefully be healthy...

: Full Engine Service all Genuine Filters (Inc Fuel Filter)

: NGK BKR7EIX Plugs

: Millers NanoDrive 5W40 Oil

: Genuine R8 Coil Packs

: Revision R PCV & Gasket

: New Cam Follower & O-Ring

: New Rev-G Diverter and then fitted a GFB-DV+

: Revo Intake with R-Tech Twinplate Heatshield

: Strict Diet of Shell V-Power

4/1/17...

Nice early start today, As promised today/Wednesday was Suspension day!

Enlisted the help of my good friend and his facilities today, I trained at College with Richard back in 2000/2001 when we did Motor Vehicle Engineering together and having been a Senior Saab Technician for about 12 Years until the demise of the brand he then set-up his own business continuing with Saabs and pretty much anything nowadays. A proper genius where cars are concerned and someone that I was more than happy to carry out work on my own car.

Got everything done no problems, Everything came un-done OK with nothing Seized! Very happy with the end result, The ride height is absolutely spot on and early days yet and have only covered about 15 Miles so far but I am convinced the ride quality is actually better with the VWR Damper/Spring Combo over the Stock 6R set-up! It should get a bit better too as it settles over the next couple of hundred Miles.

Today we did the following...

: Volkswagen Racingline Performance Shock Absorbers

: Volkswagen Racingline Performance Springs -5/10mm

: Superpro Anti Lift Kit

: Full 4 Wheel Alignment/Geometry Set-up using Snap-On/John Bean Visualiner full Toe In/Out, Castor, Camber etc (Awesome bit of kit, Expensive too!)

Also collected my new Tyres on the way home ready for tomorrow, Cannot wait to get them fitted on the TDPR 1.2's in the morning! If the weather plays ball I might even get to do a Mini-Detail on the car and get some pics  :pomppomp:

Oh and one more thing...

Friday The car is booked in with Statller Performance  :grin: Not happy that I have given myself enough jobs to do this Week I spoke to Steve at Statllers yesterday morning and got a slot on Friday for him to do the following...

: DSG Service/Oil Change

: Haldex Service/Oil Change

: Brake Fluid Change

According to the History the DSG and Haldex was done around 32K Miles/6K ago. The car is now on 38675 so nowhere near due but as its me and I have a mental problem I am getting it all done myself for total piece of mind and I know when I turn up to R-Tech on Saturday I have left no stone unturned.

Just a few snaps from today, Didn't mess about taking loads...

31727302540_92a624df73_c.jpg

Old Dampers...

31727302590_9cbdd302ff_c.jpg

NSR Damper was beginning to show signs of weepage, Misting of Oil so wanted replacing anyway...

31984346491_bfab77558e_c.jpg

Job Done, Should settle a little more but the initial look of the car is spot on. Very subtle drop in ride height...

31261323144_13af2c7bc1_c.jpg

Edited by bonelorry
  • Like 3